1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Wearing a watch?

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by Nicolaj Sølvsten, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Nicolaj Sølvsten

Nicolaj Sølvsten New Member

I am very cautious of what I put on my body and how it may affect my health. What do you think about wearing a watch? I do not own a smartphone and I need to tell the time precisely (I am a student and have classes to attend)

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Some watches are no good. But the good old Rolex is fine.

3. Hi Nicolaj,

A Rolex might be outside a student's budget, but fortunately, Rolex is only one of many manufacturers of mechanical watches. You might want to have a look at Seiko's SKX line (dive watches), Orient's Bambino line (dress watches) or Seiko's SARB models (casual/dressy), for example. Most of them are in the DKK 2000-4000 range.

4. Nicolaj Sølvsten

Thank u sir! :) A very PRACTICAL advice but aren't all analog watches consider O.K though?

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

I don't think it has to be a rolex .....LOL

6. No, not if you by analog mean "any watch with hands". All electronic (quartz, for the most part) watches will emit some amount of EMF. I would guess that analog quartz are the worst, given that they have tiny motors in them, but I have not verified that by measurements.

If you want a watch that does not generate any EMF, a mechanical watch is what you should be looking for. You can usually recognize them by their sweeping seconds hand. If a mechanical watch is described as being "automatic", that means it is self-winding and powered by the movement of your arm. The watches I suggested, are all self-winding mechanical watches that do not contain any electronics or batteries.

If you want to go one step further, and get a watch that does not act as an antenna for nnEMF in your environment, my guess is that a watch with a ceramic case and a leather or fabric strap would be optimal. Brands like Omega, Blancpain, IWC, Hublot and Rado come to mind, and they are all pretty expensive.

Another way to go if you do not want metal touching your skin for some reason, is to put a regular (mechanical) watch on what the Germans call a "Bund" strap. Such as this:

[​IMG]

7. Nicolaj Sølvsten

Alright, I totally agree with your points and I am very thankful that you have made me aware of them. Check this out:[​IMG]
    I am however worried that the metal used will attract the nnemf, especially since the backside of the watch appears to be made of metal where it will come into contact with my skin.
    I suppose the optimal watch would be a 100% wooden mechanical watch, but to what extent do you reckon the metal implemented will negatively affect my health?
    Link to the displayed watch: https://www.woodwatches.com/series/dover/koa-and-black

8. I have to defer to Jack's superior knowledge on that question. If I were to guess, I'd say that having metal touching your skin and acting as an antenna would be detrimental in an nnEMF-heavy envirornment, but might even be a good thing in a natural environment. In any case, I suspect it is not anywhere near the top of the list of things that most of us need to prioritize.

There's a Norwegian company called Etla (etla.no) that also sells wooden watches with a wooden back. Unfortunately, they use a quartz movement. I suspect there is an inner metal case, so EMF from the electronics inside is probably shielded equally well (or poorly) as in a regular steel case quartz watch.

[​IMG]

I remember working with a swiss geologist who had a swiss watch (a Tissot , I think) where the case was made from rock. Quite fitting for a swiss geologist, I thought. :)

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Metal does draw EMF and stray voltages in an environment but all metals do it differently. Rolex is 18 K gold so it is pretty inert.

10. Aren't ceramics even more inert, Jack?

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

not all ceramics.........some are highly magnetic and being used in TI's.

12. Thanks. I had assumed that "rolex" was your synonym for "mechanical watch" and did not consider the diamagnetic properties of gold. (By the way, far from all Rolex models are gold.)