1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Weaning off of HC - looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by vkiernan, Jun 19, 2012.

1. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I am weaning off of my HC so I can have some tests run to see why I have adrenal fatigue in the first place. I am wondering what sort of problems I might run into and looking for feedback.

I am trying to wean off of 32.5 mg per day after having taken it for 2.5 months. This is the start of my second week and I am a little tired yesterday and today. But, I physically worked pretty hard this weekend and that usually takes its toll. My weekend was energetic though and that is after removing 12.5 mg. every day last week.

I think CT helping my adrenals. I wake up every day with the light and am tired by 9 every night. This is pretty consistent and my sleep is getting better and better.

Thanks all.

2. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I weaned off 15mg HC starting in January. I had been taking it for a couple of years, and decided it was time to see if I still needed it. The advice I read was to drop the dose slowly, like 2.5mg/week, and watch for symptoms of adrenal problems along the way. I did it much faster - I took 5 weeks to get off. I never noticed a problem. I waited 2 weeks and then did the adrenal stress index saliva test. My results looked reasonable, not great, but better than where they were. I was pleased, and started with DHEA and rhodiola to support them.

However, Shortly after that I ran into massive thyroid dosing problems that I am still dealing with. If I remember correctly, you take Armour as well, right? My Armour dose was not sufficient, but upping the dose brought on adrenal fatigue symptoms (low blood pressure, high heart rate, orthostatic hypotension, feeling awful all the time). It took me a good long while to get the tests run and figure out what was going on. I had been taking 2 grains of Armour, and now I am up to 3.5. My doctor told me that with continued DHEA, and possibly pregnenolone supplementation, I may be able to drop the Armour dose a little. We'll see. It's difficult for me to tell if the fast heartrate is due to adrenal fatigue, or too much Armour. It is getting better though, with continued DHEA. I don't know if this helps any, but I thought I would share...

3. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

I might have missed something , but what test can show you why you have adrenal fatigue? I know saliva testing can show you the cortisol curve. I am just interested as I have never had a doctor tell me that they can show me why I have adrenal fatigue.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

adrenal stress index

5. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

You are correct. Jack is talking about the test to confirm adrenal fatigue. I don't believe there is a test persay to know exactly what is causing it but a lot of things one can rule out or know that is contributing. In my case, it could be just too much stress over the course of my life. I also read where if your mother is stressed, that can pass off to you as a baby. I was baby #6 and my mother was stressed so who knows. She is checking my pituitary and ACTH. I am also doing the GI Effects test for my gut. Dr. Kharasastan (sp.) has a great book on adrenals and the thyroid. He talks about the gut usually being the issue for dragging down the adrenals which in turn drag down the thyroid. In my consult with Dr. K., he told me to check the gut as well to see if that was culprit. I am digging at this point shall we say. Just making sure there aren't other things going on that I don't know about.

I highly recommend that book. I think it is called "Why do I still have thyroid symptoms when my lab results are normal." I will verify tonight and edit if need be. It really puts things into perspective for me. Why everything happens and lots of examples. Not sure where Jack stands on it but it does similate a lot of what he says; just puts it into laymen's terms for people like me.

6. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Thanks Vkiernan. I wasn't sure if I had missed something. I follow my 4x cortisol and I have the book and it has good explanations. I hope you can get to the bottom of it. We learn from each other.

7. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

We sure do and I am happy about that for sure. Have you had any tests done to see if there is an underlying culprit? I love that book and read and reread. Of course I have to reread as I still cannot retain much. I hate that. Can't wait for the day that I can remember info.

8. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

My culprit is probably methylation, metals, and viruses. Very complicated stuff. I deep into this trying to figure it out. I think I am going to order 23 and me today.

9. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I still don't understand the methylation thing. Could you give me some insight please?