1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Weaned toddler needs + seasonality of macros

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by JoeBranca, Aug 28, 2012.

1. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

We have a 19 month old toddler (mama stopped producing enough milk/toddler lost interest around 15-16 months) and for solid foods she's doing pretty good but I'm still not clear how much we should be watching what she gets as far as protein/fats/carbs. According to this recent post, it should mimic healthy breastmilk ratios:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/08/carbohydrate-recommendations-for-kids.html

And I wonder if that's sound advice.

As far as carbs, she gets raw pastured goat milk daily, but also lots and lots of fruit in addition to sweet potato at most meals. My confusion is if this is a good thing or suboptimal for toddler development, as it replaces what could be more caloric intake of brain developing fats, and perhaps in the long run encourages a preference for the sweets over other things if presented as choices.

Should I not worry about fruit intake for the rest of summer and just have mom titrate down the fruit into the fall and winter months, so that the majority of toddler's carbs are from the goat milk and veggies? Are sweet potatoes a good year round thing or should that be seasonal as well?

Well, to make the question simpler, for a young toddler do you tweak the seasonality principle according to context of their particular developmental needs? Should I instead forget seasonal macro ratios altogether and be thinking purely in terms of micro nutritional intake?

Am I overthinking this?

2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Here's what I do. I have a 2yo (still nursing 1x/day) & 4yo.

Breakfast always includes protein & FAT same for lunch & dinner

This summer we've done a lot of talking about seasonal fruits w/our 4yo. We no longer buy fruit out of season

Fruit is our desert and we only have it w/meals. Dd is almost able to handle 3 meals/day but not always so when she's hungry we offer protein/FAT combo

Ds who's 2 eats on instinct. Every am while making bkfst he asks for plane ghee before his meal. So I give it to him some days he'll eat 3-4 TBS of ghee. He's still eating more on a nursing schedule of an older toddler every 3-4 hrs, even though he's not nursing throughout the day

Dd in the winter naturally shuns veggies/carbs i no longer fight her on that. If all she wants is protein/fat that's what she eats. She knows this intuitively

With both kids we've really been pushing the epipaleo and tgey've embraced it. They love their shrimp, mussels, oysters and squid (too ds a couple of wks to get there but he now asks if he can have squid).

Give them unlimited access to the good stuff and that's what they'll ask for. Your dd will follow your lead what you eat she'll eat

3. Playdate? Arranged marriage? ;)

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

LOL.... I think the epi-paleo kids will find their own kind.... w/o our interference...

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I still struggle with this. My 5 year old eats well, but not as cleanly as I would like. We often have to bribe him with fruit..."if you eat your shrimp and steak, then you can have grapes", etc. I have gotten very tough about introducing foods though. He automatically rejects anything he hasn't seen before. So, I just state "this is dinner. If you don't want to eat, fine but nothing else tonight. And dinner will make a great breakfast tomorrow! We'll save it for you." He is slowly coming around. A big part of the problem is that we sent him to pre-k where they had terrible junky snacks and parties almost every day. I can't believe it, but parents would bake full size cupcakes and adorn them with icing and candies and give it to the kids with juice boxes. Then wonder why they were bouncing off the walls a few minutes later. I caved to peer pressure though...I let him eat these things thinking a few times per week wouldn't really hurt. Boy, did it ever! He would beg and cry for cereal in the mornings, because "everyone else eats it!" Well, we are homeschooling now and have almost broken the bad habits. Still a work in progress.