1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Ways to Rectify Problems with Tea

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by QiGuy1997, Jan 1, 2014.

1. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

So, a while ago I started a thread hoping to get to the bottom of the fluoride/aluminum issue with green tea. I've been doing tons of research on this topic and I feel like I've found some ways to significantly reduce the amount of fluoride from tea. The aluminum is a harder issue to solve.
    Tea has numerous beneficial properties but it is, unfortunately, very rich in fluoride. Brick tea seems to be the highest, and easily contains toxic amounts. Black tea is next, with one study revealing 7.8 mg/l of fluoride in it. According to this study http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S027869150700511X black tea has between 0.32 and 4.54 mg/l fluoride. To put this in context, tap water normally has 1 ppm fluoride. Additionally, according to the Linus Pauling Institute here, http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/tea/, black tea has 1.0-1.9 mg/l fluoride. It also states that green tea has 1.2-1.7 mg/l fluoride. However, the study on sciencedirect.com found that white tea only contains 0.37–0.54 mg/l fluoride. Still a bit of a high amount, but clearly much better than either black or green tea. In order to further combat this lower amount of fluoride, I'll be supplementing with a bit of egg shell calcium with my tea and adding a pinch of borax to it. Calcium carbonate has been shown to considerably reduce the absorption of fluoride by turning into the less harmful calcium fluoride. The boron in the borax that I'll be adding to it has been shown to protect against fluoride toxicity and enhance the body's ability to excrete fluoride (as well as other benefits like balancing calcium metabolism and boosting sex hormones/reducing estrogen) Source: http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm
    Aluminum is posing more of a problem. Firstly, never add lemon or citrus to tea as that boosts aluminum absorption from it by up to 11x. Theoretically, white tea should have less aluminum than green or black as it is made from younger tea leaves and is usually higher quality, however I have no research to back this up. Additionally, drinking it on an empty stomach may reduce the absorption because there is less stomach acid and less aluminum will get chelated, but again, no research backing up this idea. I'll be drinking a cup of bamboo tea with every cup of white tea that I drink because bamboo tea is very rich in silica which has been shown, in some studies, to promote the excretion of silica (by quite a lot, actually) and reduce it's absorption. Unfortunately, the research is conflicting in this regard as some studies show no effect form silica while others say only oligomeric silica has any effect, and monomeric silica is useless in this regard. It's very confusing.
    Well, that's all I've got. If anyone has any other info, I'd love to hear it. Hope I was able to bring some new information to the table.

2. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Also, the concentration of these compounds seem to be highly environmentally influenced, as the tea plant is a fluoride/aluminum magnet. People suggest the tap-water used to water the plants and the fertilizers have something, however organic teas don't seem to make much difference and one study actually found more fluoride in organic tea. Perhaps if someone could find tea cultivated in pristine, mineral rich, fertilizer free soil high up on a mountain and watered exclusively with spring water, we could find an ideal solution, but that doesn't seem to be an option currently.

3. Tanya

Tanya Gold

QiGuy1997, very important research! Thank you for doing it and sharing with us. Interesting idea about the bamboo tea -0 I have never even heard about it before. Any specific brand that you recommend? I also wonder if you have any information regarding the rooibos tea. I know that it does contain a significant amount of fluoride and I try ti mitigate it by making sure that I drink fluoride-free water and supplementing with extra boron, but aluminum problem still is a huge factor for me.

4. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

Mineral sources of phosphate - either superphosphate or rock phosphate - contain very significant amounts of fluoride. Excess soil acidity - i.e. low calcium- creates soluble aluminum from the massive amounts in found in all soil. Most agriculture is done using the equivalent of the SAD diet.

I am curious what the fluoride content is of the green tea extract powders. Might it concentrate the fluoride as well as the EGCGs?

5. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

I'm glad someone is finding this information helpful! The bamboo tea that I drink is from this small, organic farm in Florida. Here's the link if you're interested: bambooleaftea.net Rooibos tea has fluoride levels comparable to that of regular tea but, as far as I can tell, it has far lower levels of aluminum. Something to look into though, is the phytoestrogens contained in Rooibos tea. The verdict is still out on phytoestrogens as some people consider them estrogenic while others think that they block true estrogen from the receptors, thereby becoming anti-estrogenic. That's just something you might want to look into/consider. Even so, the supplemental boron probably goes a long way into balancing these hormonal effects.
    Interesting comments on the soil conditions Jonathin. I wish I could find tea produced in actual nutrient rich soils. That's probably what ancient healers and qigong masters described to be so healing, not the tainted kind we have today :/ I believe green tea extracts tend to remove the fluoride from the actual extract, but it may depend on the brand. For powders, I'm not entirely sure. Powders like Matcha and Sencha, however, would contain as much, if not more, fluoride because they are just ground up tea leaves.

6. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Here is a very promising green tea extract: http://www.ilovegreentea.com/index.html
    It seems to be highly concentrated with EGCG and has no fluoride at all. As an added bonus, they add in some goji berry and astragalus extracts, both powerful adaptogens. The only downside that I can see with it is it has it's caffeine removed and, contrary to what most people think, I think caffeine is quite beneficial.

7. Tanya

Tanya Gold

QiGuy1997, I don’t drink coffee, but I have to have my tea - all 3 cups of it a day. I mostly drink white, green and rooibos kind (rooibos being my last cup for the day as it naturally does not contain any caffeine in it). Thank you for the additional information about it - I will continue supplementing boron.

8. HoneyChild

HoneyChild Gold

I admit I haven't researched this subject much but I remember seeing this last year...

Could cheap tea bags make you ill? Study reveals they contain high fluoride levels that could damage teeth, bones and muscles

Fluoride is essential for bone and dental health but over 4mg per day can cause pain, muscle problems and joint and tooth disease in the long-term
    Study analysed fluoride levels in supermarket and branded tea bags
    Found that supermarket value brands from Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda and Morrisons provided 75% to 120% of your daily intake of substance
    Experts are now calling for fluoride levels to be stated on food packaging

Read the full article here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...uoride-levels-damage-teeth-bones-muscles.html

9. Tanya

Tanya Gold

HoneyChild, I am not surprised about that article at all. That is why I never use any tea bags - only loose tea for me.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

So - why is loose tea better? I have a lot to learn here ...

so - boran? like borax? I have been forgetting about that....

11. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Loss leaf tea tends to be higher quality and have younger leaves, meaning less fluoride and aluminum. Yes borax (sodium tetraborate) contains boron and boron is protective against fluoride and promotes it's excretion. The link I posted concerning borax/boron is extremely informative and disusses how it should be used in depth.

12. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

Unfortunately, even loose leaf tea is quite rich in fluoride which is why I posted some possible approaches to dealing with it (white tea, borax, calcium).

13. Tanya

Tanya Gold

caroline, it is getting harder and harder to find tea bags that have not been bleached.......

14. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Thank you for posting this. As an economy measure I have been buying budget green tea.It is an export crop so the good stuff goes abroad. Recently I have been having joint pains and am literally losing my grip,having trouble undoing knots .I had put this down to repetive movements as part of my work but will throw out green tea for now. Bye byet cheap PQQ :( Water is heavily fluoridated here so I do not need any extra.

15. QiGuy1997

QiGuy1997 New Member

If you think it's fluoride causing these issues, why don't you try to borax fluoride detox?

16. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

For now I want to see if my joint pain goes "naturally" as I am on holiday for a week. But you made me think of something I need to do and that is find Borax from a reputable source. As our water is fluoridated it will be agood supplement to have on hand.The one I found is made in china and comes with warnings about ingestion so it makes me wonder how it was extracted,the Chinese origin more so than the warning label.There is a store I never get to as its hours are limited and this week might just be the week.

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Keep your hands in icy water for a while.

//////

18. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Thank you, I was thinking on that. Glad you confirmed my suspicion that it will help.

19. Mayuri

Mayuri Silver

To drink black tea or not to drink black tea that is the question. I bought some from the rain forest. JUST GOT OFF THE DAMN COFFEE!!!!! It wasn't easy but I am off it!!!!

20. Coldsnow

Coldsnow New Member

Puehr is a great gateway tea from coffee which is pile fermented and has a deep, earthy texture and flavor profile. After trying many types I've found a western friend who's involved in the production from seed to packaging and goes full organic. In Chinese medicine; Puehr is great for digestion because of the ferment and the cakes change flavor over time; kind of like wine. Here's a link to my friends page; the bing cakes aren't cheap but they are worth it as its next to impossible to get this grade of tea in the U.S.

http://theasophie.org/Theasophie_Catalog.pdf