1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Water well casing question

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by nonchalant, Oct 29, 2012.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

If you were going to put in a new water well, about 300' down, what kind of casing would you use? The water is acidic.

PVC seems to be everywhere, but who wants the BPA?

Copper would be extremely expensive. Galvanized?

2. I run into well issues around here on our mountain properties - sadly, there are only a few options from well providers that provide permit quality (thus saleable in the future and documented properly) . I would get your bids from the well companies and see if any of them provide options on that.

That is a great thing to think about - and it would be worth shopping around.

Also I would find out if your installer just meets required levels, or exceeds the epa standards. I know here we have one more "eco" friendly option - but it costs about twice as much.

My point is, you don't really have many choices - unless of course you are going off grid and unpermitted - in which case I would say SHHHHHHH! don't let your insurance or neighbors find out. Also hide it if you ever want to sell!!!

3. nate.reik@yahoo.com

nate.reik@yahoo.com New Member

BPA usually is only used in flexible PVC, I would think well casing would be stiff?

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Actually where this property is, there are few regulations. Thanks Nate, it's good to know rigid PVC pipe doesn't have bpa, though who knows what other endocrine-disrupting chemicals it has. It definitely would be the less expensive option.

5. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

There are two elements here. the well casing is usually 8" iron and usually does not go all the way to the bottom. The other issue is the pipe coming from the submersible pump which can be pvc or galvanized. Most use schedule 40 pvc. The iron casing does not typically contact your water it just holds the shape of the well through top soil layers. The supply pipe would be 1-1/2" pvc. I don't know if pvc leaches chemicals into drinking water. I hope not cuz that's what I've got. Pvc is polyvinylchloride.

6. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

What kind of pipes do you all recommend in a house. Post are using the flexible PVC now. Copper has been phased out.

7. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

i think we used a steel casing on my well 6 years ago. However, we are only required to put the casing in down to the bedrock. I'm assuming you don't have bedrock where you live. 300' would be very pricey!

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Good question, Veggies. I'm leaning towards copper pipes.

Villjamur, we don't have rock, just sand and clay.