1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Water Kefir

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by Pardus, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Hi,

Has anyone tried water kefir as a probiotic for leaky gut?

Milk kefir is definitely out of the question for us auto-immune folks, but might water kefir be okay?

I know there is some residual fructose left in the water kefir, so I'm wondering if this would cause a reaction, especially since many of us have very sensitive guts.

What are your thoughts? Any comments on your personal experience?

2. chocolate

chocolate Silver

I know the gaps diet says to use kraut juice in the broth. That was a huge turning point for my feeling better. I just had trouble reintroducing foods. The broth and kraut are what a brought with me to VLC Paleo. I just didn't feel very good. I can't say I had a leaky gut. My joints quit hurting from the grain and the cold water pushed the weight off.

3. Dr K recommends Kevita. Have you tried it? If you get the plain one it's 2g of sugar a serving

http://kevita.com/

It's pretty good but I am super cautious when I drink it. I usually only have a 1/4 cup a day.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I've just ordered kefir water grains and will be making some next week. I'll let you know. I know Dr K drinks the Kevita brand and Mark Sisson did an article on it that seemed to imply that the sugars are used by in the process. I'm pretty sensitive to sugar/cravings, so I'm hopeful.

5. FWIW, I have been using both home brewed kombucha and water kefir. The key to not having a lot of residual sugar is the length of fermentation. Most directions are to only ferment the water kefir for 2 days. Taste it - if it is still sweet let it ferment longer. I let my water kefir grains ferment for 7-10 days. It should be tangy like a light vinegar (low sugar, lots of acid from fermentation). If you drink 8 oz and you get sleepy then it probably has too much sugar for you.

For the kombucha I let that go for 14-21 days. I have found the best results when it tastes like strong apple cider vinegar. Not my favorite flavor profile, but that is what works for me.

These are the fermentation times it has taken in the winter (ambient house temps ~ 58 degrees). Not sure how long it will take in the summer. Also, since my house is cold in the winter I use a electric seed starter mat wrapped around the brew jar to keep the kombucha at it's preferred temp - water kefir grains don't seem to need the extra special treatment.

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I've just finished making my 3rd batch of water kefir. It's super easy, tasty and quick to make. The advice of the woman who has been making it for years told me that the longer you ferment it the more alcohol it has and the less sugar, but also the less priobiotic it is (still great though). I've been doing mine for 48 hours with the grains in the water (it's autumn here, just out on the kitchen counter) and then another 24 with just the liquid poured off (at which point I add ginger). Then into the fridge. It's slightly fizzy and very easy to drink. Even my kids like it.

7. Pardus

Pardus New Member

KiwiLauren,

Thanks for sharing! Please keep us informed on your progress.

8. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Just an update... I totally recommend making your own water kefir. I now have 10x the amount of grains I did 10 days ago (talk about a bargain) and they just keep reproducing. It is autumn here (no heat in house) and they produce a batch in 24 hours which I can do a second ferment on (without the grains in it) for another 24. One of my children loves it plain, the other adds a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice to it. My husband and I drink it plain, but we also sometimes flavour it by putting sliced ginger in it (it's reproducing so fast that I don't always have ginger on hand). It seems to produce slightly fizzier drink by putting it in a bottle with a narrow neck (vs a jar that is the same width top to bottom). All in all, super easy. And I've noticed that I don't need to take digestive enzymes anymore either.

9. Just got some water kefir grains today. I put then in a jar with water, organic raw sugar, raisIns and some kevita. The instructions she sent with the grains caller for kefir starter or lemon and I have neither, so I used the kevita. Hope it works. It's still pretty cold here with my housE thermostat reading 53. So I hope this works! I also got a kombucha scoby and started that. I'm going to dry some apples to use in future batches. But that's a project for another day! Gotta try my hand a coconut yogurt soon and make another batch of sauerkraut. My gut is gonna be tight! Lol

10. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I was thinking of buying water kefir grains it sounds very good...I have a few questions though. Anyone have a link to a good container type to buy for this? I could either buy it at a store or Amazon...depends on what kind of container I guess and the cost. Also I wanted to use honey and/or maple syrup. Any recommendations on amounts of each? I know you need a certain amount of whatever sugar you are using to get the right balance...anyone have experience with using honey or maple syrup?

I'm talking about Raw unfiltered honey and grade b maple syrup by the way. Also I don't suppose anyone has a detailed site on making water kefir and how much sugar/probiotics a given amount of time will produce?

One more thing....actually probably not the last but for now my last question is where do I buy them? http://waterkefirgrains.com/

Is this site any good has anyone used it before? I live in Lewisville, TX Is there anyone nearby that I could get some from maybe? I'd be willing to pay for them if you want.

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Honey is anti bacterial and not recommended for any type of probiotic fermentation

12. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

I forgot to mention I already read that somewhere...they didn't make it sound like it wouldn't work though. They said that it would weaken or could kill the kefir grains....but I figured I could cycle between production runs to grow more grains and runs with honey too.

Will using honey not produce probiotics at all or anything beneficial? I understand it may not be sustainable by itself as it will consume the grains since honey is anti-bacterial, but figured it might still work to produce something good.

Would love to hear more on this before buying Kefir grains and wasting money if its just going to destroy them without actually working. I have quite a bit of honey and like honey so I figured it would be a nice way to use some of it. If anyone has successfully used honey to make water kefir and thought it was a good thing I would love to hear about it.

Is the Grade B Maple syrup something I can use? What do you recommend?

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Coconut water is good. If you use things that inhibit fermentation u have a lab experiment. U might grow things u weren't planning on growing.....

14. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

If it won't work I guess that's fine...just wanted to use it because its something I already have. I might go ahead and see what comes out of it if I try. I'll let you know what happens if I do thanks for the input.

15. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Tomorrow I will look for kefir crystals. I want to make home made kefir too! Will get kombucha too. I always save and drink the left over liquid from sourkruat. Happy guts R Us!

16. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

Mine don't seem to be multiplying...but I think they are still working as bubbles are forming at the top...so something is going on. It did say it can take several batches my next will be either my 4th or 5th..

17. somewhatchubby

somewhatchubby New Member

Hi, can anyone tell me how long you can keep the water kefir after a second ferment. I put some in a kilner jar and it has foam .bubbles all over the surface.is this the norm ?Its been about three days.

Maybe I should sling it ?

18. Holly

Holly New Member

I do my first ferment for 1-2 days. Pour into airtight bottles for usually less than 12 hours as the pressure of the carbonation starts to seep from the bottle. I think I get extra carbonation because I add just a bit of pineapple juice in addition to any other flavoring. I hear that the enzymes in the pineapple increase the carbonation. Sure does the trick for me for both my water kefir and kombucha. But we really like the fizz at our house. yumm

19. Thor

Thor Banned

i'll have to look into it - kefir