1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Warmup Time?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by meyoolia@gmail.com, Mar 15, 2012.

1. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

Hi all,

I'm up to 35 minutes in a 50F tub. QUESTION: how long does it take everyone to warm up again after an icy tub session? I'm wondering if I should spend less time in the water and go slower, cuz it takes me well over an hour to totally quit quivering :p cheers, J

2. primat

primat Silver

After 30 min in 50F I get periodic shivers for about an hour afterwards. Core temp is super, skin temp is low.

3. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I've only been doing CT for a little over a week, with daily am cold showers, facial plunges and evening baths (30-40 min. at 50 degrees).

I shiver a lot while in the tub, but pretty much don't shiver when I get out. I feel cold, but I'm not shivering. My skin stays cold to the touch for at least 30 minutes after (I'm not sure beyond that because I'm asleep by then). After my first bath, I didn't put on any pants and went to bed with just a shirt on. In the morning, my legs were still cold to the touch. Ever since, I've been putting on sweat pants, and my legs warm up fast (warm to the touch by the time I fall asleep).

4. BenG

BenG New Member

I did about 45 minutes in the tub. Was ok. Dryed off without clothes under the ceiling fan.. Was fine for another 20 minutes doing that. Didn't start feeling cold until I went under the covers.

5. bennyha

bennyha New Member

This is my problem as well. I get cold for the first 2 mins upon entering the water. Then I just listen to sports radio on my laptop set up next to me which distracts my mind from the cold. But after I get out after 35 mins I am brutal cold and shiver for well up to an hour. This first day I did it I actually shivered for 2 hours straight after word and felt miserable. It's slowly getting better. But the hour after getting out of the cold tub is much worse than actually sitting in the cold tub for me

6. primat

primat Silver

Ditto. I'm thinking of dialing it back a notch and do shorter sessions at the same (50-55f) temp.

7. bennyha

bennyha New Member

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I'm hoping my body will cope better after the sessions if maybe I lessen the duration of the tub a bit and let my body gradually adapt to the cold

8. meyoolia@gmail.com

meyoolia@gmail.com New Member

EXACTLY! I could hang out for the full 40 minutes and more without any distress....but 5-10 minutes out and YIKES! freezing for another hour or two or... after that :p

On the CT6 blog thread, vwaggs said "For those of you having a tough time with the baths and shivering for hours, here is my experience. I am not sick and only have about 5 more lbs to lose. I started the baths and did them every other night for 25-30 min.(just couldn’t get myself to do it every night but now I am wondering if this would have been faster). I have been doing this for 3 weeks and finally last night I actually felt pretty comfortable in the bath (still shivered but it wasn’t horrible like before). When I got out, about 10 min. later my furnace kicked on. The top part of my back started to heat up and my daughter said when she touched it, it felt fever hot. It felt fabulous! Then the rest of me warmed up fast too! I lost 1 lb overnight (which is a lot since I don’t have much left to lose). My water has been about 55 degrees and I put ice packs on my bottom and thighs (belly is flat). The skin temp gets to 50 with ice and the rest of my skin is still in the 60′s where the ice doesn’t hit. May make ice blocks for today’s bath. The BEST part of this is my lack of appetite! I no longer need a crazy big BAB to get through the day." So... looks like there IS hope if we "stay the course" ...? :)

9. MartiD

MartiD New Member

My recovery time is definately improving each day. I was having much harder time in the evenings when I started 3 weeks about but in the last two days it has been much easier and I am warmed up within a 45 minute time frame. In the mornings I hardly even think about it after I get out because I am hurry around getting ready for work. I do have crazy energy for about an hour after I get though.

I thought this whole process was crazy when I started, how I look forward to it twice a day! Is that crazy or what????:rolleyes:

10. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

It sure sounds crazy doesn't it?? The first few times I was "sink snorkeling," I had to laugh to myself, wondering how many other crazy folks were doing the same thing.

I've been doing cold baths for 9 days now and am fine in the bath but ridiculously cold for an hour afterwards. I'm hoping that soon I will turn on the pilot light and warm up faster.

11. Haha.. I thought the same thing.. my family thinks I'm nuts--I'm literally cold to the touch right now.. with the cold tub and then a chill vest ... shivering cold. Also waiting for my pilot light to warm up. (challenging to type with cold fingers)

12. d_grhrt@yahoo.com

d_grhrt@yahoo.com New Member

I'm 1&1/2 weeks in. Started the tub after 4 days because the face dunking was too easy. Pilot light has not yet turned on so my shivering kicks in within 15 mins after I get out and lasts about an hour. I'm now doing morning and evening 35-45 mins, 53 degrees (my tap's temp) with ice packs on stomach.

13. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I have found that heating a large rice pack in the oven (275) and putting it over my torso heats me up best after the ice bath. Trying to heat up my extremeties first seems to make the shivering worse. Just remember that your body wants to keep your heart/torso warm first, so by providing heat to that area your body can afford to send warm blood to other areas.

14. Adria

Adria New Member

I'm not letting myself shiver. By going slow my body has been heating itself up about 20min after the bath, I can feel the heat radiating. I will only stay in the tub 15-20min max, this is working for me.

15. joyfuljoyful

joyfuljoyful New Member

Ok, here is a secret! STAY NAKED AFTER THE TUB! I wish I could remember who posted this tip and where it is on the forum. She had tried it and had a much easier time warming up. I too DREADED the shakes and shivers after the bath (definitely worse than the bath itself!) but then I implemented this advice. Now I just head to my room, and do some squats and a few pushups, maybe some planks, (more to distract myself from the cold) and I kid you not: I am comfortably warm (but skin still cool to the touch, but absolutely no shivers or shakes, or discomfort) within 10 to 15 min max! Try it. Now the worst part is putting my robe on to make the walk from the bathroom to my bedroom (my kids and their friends dont need to see that! ha) Then when I take the robe off, I immediately feel better.

16. trish3

trish3 New Member

I think to try the naked thing might help.

Does anyone recall whether we WANT to stay cold? Or is it okay to get warmed up? Also, does it matter if I just submerge my lower half? That is quite easy, and I would prefer to keep my 'frontage' intact lol ;)

17. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I definitely agree with this. I put on light pj's only, no socks etc. and avoid getting under the bed covers until I'm warm. All the clothes and blankets seem to hold the cold in.

I also meant to add on my last post about a huge mistake I made. I was tired of waiting to warm up, so after my cold bath I put hot water in the tub. It made me shiver and shake terribly and I was WAY colder than before and both in the hot water and then later out of the water I took SO much longer to warm up. The other thing was the water was really hot according to my instant read therm. (although I've been questioning it's accuracy by maybe even 10 deg.), I usually can't get into a hot tub that is 102 yet it read 110 and it felt luke warm. I don't know if it was me, or the water really was cooler than it said, but I had turned it almost straight hot and our water heater is set to 120 so that does hint at the therm. being correct. Anyhoo, DON"T do THAT!!

18. shilohman

shilohman New Member

That is exactly what I did and now I have zero warm up time after CT.

19. joyfuljoyful

joyfuljoyful New Member

I recline in the tub, learning back on Ice packs, and my lower half and belly are submerged, but the girls stay out. I lower my upper arms into the water. My understanding is that every bit helps. Once a step got easier, I would submerge more and apply more Ice packs.

I try to not do anything artificial, per se, to warm up. I have done it but try not to. I say everyone really needs to stay naked after the tub, it makes it sooo much easier. Also for me it is easier to do ct earlier in the day, I had a harder time warming up when I tried it before bed. Also it makes a huge difference to have food in your belly , and the more fat the better.

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

I so agree! naked is the way to go! never, ever thought I would say that! I think I have missed / forgot about this high fat thing before C/T . What do you eat before? So we should be upping the fat and consuming moderate protein - right? can you give me an example please?