1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Want to understand the power of temperature for human biology?

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Jack Kruse, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Read this and think about what I have laid out in the CT series..........this is quite important to read before you listen to the December Webinar.

In an ingenious experiment, M . Mendelssohn (cited by Jenning 1906) observed that paramecia randomly dispersed themselves when ambient temperature was kept around 20 C. However, when a temperature gradient was established in their medium from 26 to 38 C or from 10 to 25 C, they congregated close to the area maintained between 24 and 28 degrees C. Moreover, when the temperature of their medium was elevated beyond their preferred temperature, these organisms became more active, performing a series of rotatory movements projecting them toward the cooler region . Once they reached a cooler , more comfortable environment , they resumed random locomotion . A similar , abeit slower , type of " avoiding locomotion " occurs when paramecia move from a cool to a hot environment.

Jenning (1906) performed a series of experiments in paramecia that led him to conclusions similar to those of Mendelssohn . Through the microscope , Jenning observed an activation of paramecia movements as the temperature of their medium was uniformly elevated between 40 and 45 degrees C. When a drop of cold water was placed in their environment , paramecia gathered in this region , avoiding the heated area. These experiments clearly show that unicellular organisms without brains have the capacity to select a preferred temperature behaviorally, and therefore to protect themselves from environmental extremes.  (Implies cold is primordial to all life forms)

Thus , environmental heat was a source of deleterious stimulation " but it was also an essential source of energy. Living organisms required heat for chemical reactions . Although some of the heat for these reactions came from metabolic activity , the main source of heat energy came from the environment. Therefore, the control of environmental temperature had to be coupled to the production of internal heat.
    It is therefore plausible to infer that unicellular organisms had some rudimentary capacity to control their internal temperature.

"Excerpted from the book called Hot Brain"

COUNTERINTUITIVE MOTIVATION POINT: Cold draws life to it..............this is true in all mammal life forms even when they are not aware of it.  Mammals exploded after K-T........cold once again was what the environment became overnight after the asteroid hit.  To maintain internal warmth they had to burn fat efficiently to survive.  No carbs were around to grow because light cycles were disrupted and temperature fell like a brick.  All the food was in the deep cold polar seas.  Connecting any dots people?  Our deep ancestors and us are still tied together............by one thing.  EPIGENETICS.

Then read this gem of a blog from Grace at Dr. B.G blog:  

http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/2012/11/mitochondria-fuel-fluxxx-and-heat-nsfw.html

After reading her blog it is clear people are beginning to realize the implications of cold temperatures and energy efficiency or inefficiency and what a big brain actually means for biochemistry and life in general for wellness or for illness........The tide is turning because people are starting to question many parts of paleo dogma.  That is a good thing.  I hope when you read this post before the December webinar is confuses you...........then re read it right after you hear the December webinar for the first time..........and do it before the Q & A.........and I bet your mind will be opened wide to a new reality about all mammals and especially about modern human women and the challenges they face.......and why they might face it by design............moreover because they are built this way, what might the implications be when things go awry in circadian signaling for any reason...........you might understand your plight better if you have a vagina and breasts or love someone who has that type of equipment.  

When we all know better, we tend to do better.........EPIGENETICS/WOMEN/FACTOR X.........Trifecta.

Brent Patrick likes this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

as a modern human woman  - I absolutely cannot wait for this webinar.  Sounds like Christmas is coming early for the girls  [pun intended!]

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

We have a sweet spot for optimal function. The question is do we want to get there or remain comfortable? I think I've discovered that my sweet spot in CT is below 44 deg I recover faster & warm up quicker. That tells me my mitochondria prefer deep cold to moderate cold. Why I think they work better there b/c they don't have to work as hard it's effortless for them at those temps. Where as CT when the water is just a few deg warmer it's harder which tells me they're not as efficient at 50 deg. So if they're not efficient there they're down right sluggish in summer when it's hot So this leads me to question "Are women designed to function better at lower temps?" "Are we designed to leverage cold to influence our progeny?" I ask this b/c up until doing the LR the only other time I've ever been HOT like I am now is in pregnancy and all I wanted to do was lay down in the snow and revel in it but didn't for the fear I couldn't get up out or close to 3 ft of snow. What were my mitochondria doing? What are they doing now?

4. Melinda

Melinda New Member

Very interesting.  The fungus among us.  My DH has been fighting disseminating Valley Fever, a fungus, this last half year.  He has his 4th surgery on Monday. He's felt better since he threw a big fever 3 weeks ago.  We're eating epi, getting to sleep early and other protocols, and letting the house get cold but no cold swiming pool time with a wound.  He's on a antifungal and antibiotic.  Any thermogenic ideas would be welcome.

5. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I thought the webinar was already up.  My mistake.

Went to the blog link ... the video was stunning.  Now to put my head back on straight and try to make sense of the post.

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Interesting, Gretchen.  I've read so many posts about temps below 45F...  I'm going to stop contemplating it and just do it!  Today!  Give my dopamine a boost!  HOO RAH!!

7. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Can you use one of those digital thermometers you use for bbt to measure bath water? I don't want to ruin it and have to pay another $20 for it.

8. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I've been living in an apt w/o a bath for the past 5 months, but I'm going to my parent's place shortly where they have a sufficient bath tub. Guess what I'll be doing?

I find like many others that a. the tap water doesn't really get that cold and b. it feels a lot colder (guess my mitochondria sucks). Bath with lower temp might be nicer.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why is that Grethchen.........??? you will impress me a lot of you know the answer. I am getting ready in the next few weeks to tell you but I think you know enough now to maybe get it

10. Glen PDQ

Glen PDQ New Member

A plug-in aquarium water pump put in a bathtub of cool water would reduce the skin temperature even more. Think of wind chill factor. Moving water removes heat faster from skin.

11. Billybats

Billybats New Member

I would like to take a shot at the possible answer from the past of reading about hormones when mine went haywire. I remember you saying CT for women and I guess men too but I remember you saying if we do CT it increases progesterone which will increase other hormones, then it gives you energy and that energy will produce heat which I think you would be burning fat. You being pregnant your hormones are high, and the ones I seen pregnant are always hot. I am also thinking the more you do CT the more you want to do it because you become a furnace?