1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Vitamin K supplementation in newborns

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Sunny20152019, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Sunny20152019

Sunny20152019 Silver

I am coming to the end of my pregnancy and I am deciding whether or not to do oral vitamin k supplementation for my newborn. We are not doing any injections/vaccines. An oral vitamin k supplement was suggested. My instinct says that if babies are born with low vitamin k levels, there has to be some type of physiological reason for it. Then I think what if babies born during those studies were affected by non-native emf and had low redox, requiring vitamin k. I am now not a believer in supplementation and the studies with the oral vitamin k resulted in a small percentage of infants with gallbladder issues. I am leaning towards opting out of the vitamin k supplementation and focus on increasing my vitamin k intake through food and to continue getting sunlight at the optimal times of the day.
    Does anyone know a little more about this?
    Thank you!!!

2. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Hi Sunny, I don't know anything about newborns.

I don't consider there to be any such thing as "Vitamin K", similar to there not being any such thing as "Vitamin B". They're both complexes. Although there is some overlap, K1 and K2 largely function differently. K1 is more involved in blood clotting and K2 in orchestrating what happens to calcium. And there is more than one kind of K2.

It doesn't all have to be within the diet because gut bacteria can also make the complex but maybe not enough. K1 is readily found in leafy green vegetables. K2 is much harder to include in your diet.

Just suggesting you make sure you understand which Vitamin K you need to focus on, or perhaps all of it.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Mom is usually low and that is why the babies are........

4. Sunny20152019

Sunny20152019 Silver

I understand that moms are low. My question is what can the mom do to make adequate amounts of vitamin k so that the newborn has healthy amounts. I’ve been thinking in regards of the past/how we evolved. I also realize that our current environment has a major role in affecting all of our hormones and vitamin levels. I would assume eating foods high in vitamin k, getting adequate amounts of sunlight at the proper times, and trying to limit non-native emf exposure would help with the infant’s vitamin k levels? I do not trust the oral supplements they suggest..

5. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

Again, which K? K1 is easily met with leafy greens. Plenty of MK7 in natto. A little MK4 in pastured butter, cheese and some other animal products. You need all the Ks. MK4 is the most elusive. And whatever stimulates your gut microbes will help. Sunlight on your abdomen is an important part of that.

6. Sunny20152019

Sunny20152019 Silver

They give k1 to newborns.