1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Vitamin D and Autoimmunity

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Souldanzer, Sep 2, 2012.

1. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

Are the liquids better? I have dry ones now too and have been wondering. I always take them with my BAB though so hope that is helping. Don't know when I will be tested again either. Wish I could remember what kind I had last time as my lab results clearly showed they were working. Next time it will be liguid. Just sort of feel that is the better way.

2. TheKid

TheKid Gold

@Souldanzer, talk more about this please:

"25-D dost not activate the VDR. Some research says that it can potentially block it by displacing 1,25-D, the active form of D."

This seems to be an important point, since pretty much all of the D3 I have ever seen on the market is Cholecalciferol. If what you say is true, we would want to get ahold of Calcitrol instead. I don't remember Jack making a distinction.

I know that sometimes you don't want to supplement active forms. This is part of the arguement behind taking T4 instead of T3 for thryoid problems. That way you let the body's normal process of conversion remain intack and self-limiting. So would have thought Cholecalciferol would be a better choice.

3. MsYo

MsYo Silver

I use Natures Bounty liquid Vitamin D3. I get it from vitacost and it seems to have a positive impact on my D3 levels. The gastric bypass forces me to choose most liquid supplements to get the maximal effect whenever possible.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

1,25-D is only available by rx and there is a higher risk for toxicity and elevated calcium, so it is used sparingly and only in certain cases. The issue isn't necessarily conversion since people with AI tend to have an elevated 1,25-D serum level. So most *are* converting. Yet if you supplement 25-D in order to elevate your 25-D level to a certain high number... then you end up with a lot of circulating 25-D that can potentially block your VDR b/c it can bind to it yet not activate it.

1,25-D is not commonly tested when testing for vitamin D levels b/c the body breaks it down very quickly. So it is not something that is at a very stable level in your body..... it depends on the messages in your body that say more is needed or less is needed and probably has to do with immune system response, bone metabolism and such. But this is just what my (bad) brain remembers from what I read a while ago.