1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Vision improvements

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by nonchalant, Aug 20, 2012.

1. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I have noticed lately that if I take off my glasses, I don't have to lean in to peer at my computer screen, unless there is something tiny. This is a BIG thing for me, since I've been wearing glasses for many decades.

I am nearsighted, and usually wear my glasses constantly while awake. When I went low-carb about 2 years ago, I noticed my night vision improved and my day vision was more vivid. And once in a great while, I'd take off my glasses if doing yard work. My optometrist last summer was puzzled at my vision change, and said I had "young eyes".

But now I am amazed at how sharp my vision is now. I am having to keep track of my glasses, an issue that has never been a problem for me before. (But with my improved short-term memory, it hasn't been a problem either.) The eyesight change seems to have started near the end of the 30-day seafood challenge. And it's improving all the time! I planned to see the optometrist again this winter, but I'm so curious as to what he will find.

Is anyone else seeing vision improvements with increased seafood consumption? I didn't notice any changes with CT + LR, but I didn't do many face dunks. I'm so happy that I didn't get my eyes lasered.

2. melrito

melrito Gold

I actually stopped wearing my glasses about 4 months ago (I have worn glasses since I was 5). I have an optometrist appointment next week and am curious if there has been a measurable change - although since I can definitely see things clearly now that I could not before, I suspect there is.

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I wish. I'm like - blind so short sighted and technically need reading glasses since TIA/stroke 4 years ago. No idea how those two go together but they happened coincidentally. Weird. I have the worst floaters since then, too. I'm pretty sure I had a vitreous detachment happen that night in both eyes. The floaters are so bad I've considered getting it fixed surgically :( But that's scary.

4. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I renewed my driver's license in May. Took the eye test and they REMOVED my glasses restriction. Pretty cool.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

DHA + Vitamin A and D and cold= better vision.

6. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I was just experimenting with going without my glasses this morning as I ate breakfast in the sun....the Bates method of natural vision improvement includes being in the sun....I've not really pursued it, but I think along with the epi-ingrediants listed above, I may try some of the exercises and see if I can improve things. Being at risk for macular degeneration really brings all this into "focus."

It's SO encouraging to read these success stories...

7. shilohman

shilohman New Member

My fine focus is coming back. I only need reading glasses now for the smallest of print. My take is that the fish lowers our omega 6/3 ratio which causes excess omega 6 to be drawn out from our organs (eyes). At least that is my theory. All I know is my fine focus is returning.

8. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

Interesting stuff. I'd love to not need glasses without Lasik. I've heard of good outcomes with Lasik but its so expensive. Natural sounds much preferred. I need to get some more fish if this works so well. Sadly the fish at Sam's Club isn't all that great. Wild caught salmon but its Atlantic which I read is not nearly as good in Omega 3 as sockeye. I'm not sure I can even afford good fish.

9. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

It would be nice to know how bad your RX was before you got it removed and also how much fish/seafood you've been eating. I'm really curious :)

Thanks

10. ealachan

ealachan New Member

My night vision has started to improve, but I'm still blind as a bat without my glasses. Something to hopefully look forward to, though! :)

11. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I eat one seafood meal per day, probably 6-8 oz total. I also take fish oil (3 g) and krill oil (1 g) each day. My vision went from 20/50 both eyes to 20/40 left eye and 20/30 right eye. Not perfect, but better, and enough improvement to not need glasses while driving. I don't know if it's only the seafood, since I have made many changes in the last few months. Leptin rx, CT, different supplements, BHRT, more fish...so who knows?

12. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

DHA + Vitamin A and D and cold= better vision. Probably a combination the things Jack posted about :). Since you did mention seafood which is DHA, CT, and I'm guessing with the seafood and Leptin RX your Vitamin D status is good. Thanks

13. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

This is a super-interesting topic.

I've kept half an eye on alternative explanations for eye problems over the years.

There's a general feeling among some yoga people that we spend too much on close-work -- reading and so on. That sounds fairly plausible. The suggested solution is regular rest for the eyes, including allowing them to focus on distant objects. Also, there's a yoga technique called "palming".

There's a similar notion that it's again what we do, and that specific exercises might help. Several people have had systems intended to help here. One, popularized by the novelist Aldous Huxley, was the Bates method:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldous_Huxley#Eyesight

There's a view that it's usually a miss-shapen eyeball at fault, and that what's needed to rectify that is something to push the eyeball back into the right shape. So you can wear special contact lenses at night that are intended to do this.

There's a (less sanguine) view held by some Weston-Price influenced people that a miss-shapen eyeball is probably the problem, but that the eyeball is likely to be miss-shapen because the eye-socket didn't grow as it should have (owing to insufficient minerals and fat-soluble vitamins in the diet.) See here for a fascinating discussion on that:

http://www.westonaprice.org/dentistry/mental-or-dental

I say "less sanguine" because by the time one is full-grown, there's not much one can do about one's eye-sockets.

Then there's current diet, of course.

Maybe the truth lies somewhere between all these suggestions???

To cap off isn't it interesting to note what some of the early ethnographic sources say about the eyesight of native peoples eating their traditional diets?

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/price/price10.html

(Oh, yeah, and while the most astonishing information there is on the Maori, that's in the chapter on Australian Aborigines not the Maori, but turning up the chapter on the Maori again reflect again how much seafood the Maori seem to have eaten.)

Again, as so often with Price, one is saddened by the thought of cultural
    blindness and opportunities missed. He was recording this back in the 1920s and 30s and, he having done so, it's a terrible indictment of the mainstream that no-one paid any attention -- because if they had perhaps no child born today would need a dental brace or other orthodontic work, or a hearing aid, or special shoes ... or glasses.

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

http://www.dhainmind.com/Portals/0/PDF%20Files/DHA_inbrain_and_retinastructure.pdf

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Soul, are you saying we should eat more eyeballs?

16. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think you can eat anything that has the preferred nutrients...... eyeballs included ;)

17. Kimora

Kimora New Member

I thought I would add my recent experience I am very short sighted and have worn glasses since a teenager. I had recently been experiencing blurred vision..... I went for an eye test, the optician was amazed my right eye had improved from -8 to -4.5. So new glasses needed.

I have been eating epi-paleo since brain gut 6 was published 27th July just a coincidence I don't know.... I would have thought the change of diet was too soon to make these changes to my eye sight, but before BG6 I hardly ever ate fish or shellfish in my whole life.

The other major change is eating epi-paleo has stopped my binge eating in it's tracks. When I say binge I mean eating crap until nearly sick..... so this could be a factor in improving eyesight as well.

Best wishes

Kim

18. L8F

L8F New Member

Low carb paleo diet virtually fixed my recent onset need for reading glasses. I had my vision tested again recently for occupational health and it was 20/20 and 20/40. Was much worse pre paleo. I eat a fair amount of seafoods, but also eat plenty of regular paleo animal protein. It was really cool, all of a sudden, rather quickly during my initial whole 30, my eyesight improved. (Was barely bad to begin with, but still, a good change)

19. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Does myopia result from the body needing to change the frequency of light it is exposed to? The eyeball flattens (or the cornea changes) to alter the focal point and put things out of focus, so that would be a good way to protect the retina from blue light damage.

Looks like we can alter our light intake by forming cataracts, losing hair, getting a suntan or sunburn, other skin coloration changes, dry hazy skin, and even changing eye color. Nearsightedness or farsightedness seems to be another good way of changing light intake. Perhaps a thick layer of fat cells (with water) would also help insulate us from those unwanted frequencies?

20. Danny

Danny New Member

nonchalant, has your vision improved since your first post almost 3 years ago? Thanks!