1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Video - me eating high meat. So good for our gut!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Inger, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

Cool idea with the cheesecloth! It looks to prevent the meat drying out because that is what will stop he ferment process me thinks. It needs to be moist..

Anna,
    the high meat has no real time to be "ready" I guess.. because it just ferments more and more so it gets more and more effect.. I think after 1-2 months it already has a pretty good effect. But one needs to try out this. Might be the younger the meat the more you need to eat to get the benefits.

If it has gone bad.. I gues when it smells off. It should smell a bit like eggs.. or an smelly cheese or so. But not like a cow barn..hmm hard to explain. I did a batch with elk tongue but I ditched that. It smelled like a barn. I guess the tongue was dirty, I should have washed it well or take off the skin.. it made wrong bacterias grow.
    People eat 1 year old high meat and older so there is not really any time when it goes bad in that sense me thinks.. if you only have the good bacteria in it. It just starts to taste pretty strong like ammonia. Like very old cheeses do too!

2. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

While in Whole Foods I saw "dry aged" ground beef that was darker than the other beef. I asked about the dry aged, and was told it was aged for 30 days in a specially controlled container. .... Might have to buy some next time I go to WF. Meanwhile I am sticking w/ high meat of 3 to 5 days in my refrigerator.

3. diane

diane Gold

I think I may need to throw mine out because it stinks. Not like eggs - more like rotten meat lol. When I open it the dogs come running into the kitchen with their noses in the air!

4. Inger

Inger Silver

Oh Diane.. that's too sad. Do you used prefrozen meat?

5. diane

diane Gold

I did - it is fresh grassfed heart - but the butcher freezes before delivery. I don't think I was diligent enough in airing it. Will have to try again!

6. Inger

Inger Silver

You know Diane.. I kind of suspect it is because it was prefrozen. I would personally not use prefrozen.. When freezing some enzymes die and we need them all to make nice high meat. You can make high meat from muscle meat too! It does not need to be heart if you can only get that prefrozen.
    I think prefrozen hearts are superfood too but for high meat they are less ideal.. make a carpaccio out of them instead! :)

7. Inger

Inger Silver

I just got my hearts from Germany and I immediately made a beef heart carpaccio.. rescue!
    I ate two plates of it.. I used raw grassfed beef fat instead of olive oil.

[​IMG]

It was so yummy. I feel like a queen now. My insides are feeling like.. they are laughing? I mean this is a real physical feeling it is so weird! Like tickling! Especially around my heart region but actually my whole body too a bit! Wow. Very nice!
    I missed my hearts so terribly.. I am going to make some for high meat too, today! I have no more since a week or so..

8. ruby

ruby New Member

9. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Can't believe it but my first batch of high meat is almost gone! Just ordered two more grassfed beef hearts at the Farmer's Market on Saturday and will pick them up when they rotate back to that location in three weeks.

Think I recall up thread someplace that someone mentioned using a chunk of the old high meat to "start" the new batch?

Inger, oh high meat wise one, is this okay to do? Or do you start every fresh batch and just let it do its own thing?

10. Inger

Inger Silver

I started my new batch this way last week, in a glass jar where still was some old high meat juice.. from the nice "gorgonzola" batch. I think it will work just great! We must try it out..:)
    Ups.. I must go air it, because I have not for days...!

@ Ruby, interesting article!

11. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

This weekend I eat raw lamb heart for the first time and I loved it :) I made carpaccio like you and will try it with the raw beef fat next time.
    It was a bit weird but after eating it I really got a boost of energy and my mind was finally thinking clear - but I overdid it and payed the price and I am still exhaustet. If it is the lamb hearts that gives me so much energy I have to eat a smaller amount next time :)

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

Good for you Jasmin! Have you tried Inger's high meat yet? It is the most awesome feeling!

13. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

The owner of Georgia's Grassfed Beef just called! I can pick up my beef hearts at the Tomball Farmer's Market this Saturday.

Sure beats having to wait three week for the Farmer's Market near my neighborhood to rotate back. Plus I get to shop for other things too.

14. diane

diane Gold

One of my friends who's parents have grass fed beef, actually gave me 2 hearts yesterday. And 2 tongues. What a score!

15. Jasmin

Jasmin New Member

No not yet....:) What is Inger's high meat?

16. @Jasmin: Check the first post in this thread.

17. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Here's a question for you:

If I air my high meat while walking outside barefoot in the grass (grounding) will I increase the electron density of it? Mine is stored in a glass jar.

I'm not being facetious with this and am seriously curious about it. It's amazing how much I question now.

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

that's a really good question....

19. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

Let's say I cube up some raw heart for high meat and wanted to spike it with some probiotics the same way milk is innoculated to make yogurt. Any suggestions what one would use? I have a bottle of probiotics onhand which contains Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Kluyveromyces, Brettanomyces, Debaryomyces, Saccharomyces, and Torulospora strains.

The last few days I have incorporated uncooked buffalo liver and mixed organ meats (ground) warmed in butter and olive oil but not cooked. The liver is not bitter at all and tastes quite good while the ground organ meats aren't bad. My tummy has been grumbly though. Maybe my digestive system is having to adapt. I am not ready yet to incorporate high meat into my diet.

20. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

I just had a thought about pounding a piece of high meat flat between plastic wrap and not cooking , but warming it in a pan with melted butter. Sound good?