1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Vibrio infections

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Kellie B Wilson, Oct 4, 2019.

1. A local man was diagnosed with a vibrio infection from supposedly consuming oysters at a restaurant in Wilmington, NC. What is your take on vibrio and can eating oysters cause death?

2. Inger

Inger Silver

Okay I think I can answer this, I am not Jack, but I just read about this topic this summer. So because of warm weather and sea water the vibtrio was found here everywhere too..(said my coworkers) and newspaper had stuff about it like"the killer in the seawater" and such. I got a little scared. So I researched of course.
    And what I found was;
    Vibrio is a natural thing that increases when the water is above 20 degree C. It is only dangerous for old, sick people/ people with seriously low redox/immune system.
    In Germany about 2-3 people have died from it this year I guess, and they were old sick people that had some sort of wounds, swimming in the seawater. The vibrio bacteria can get into deep or also shallow wounds.

If it helps you, I have gotten deep wounds and cuts in seawater with vibrio in it and eaten tons of oysters from seawater with vibrio, and nothing have happened to me. Nothing. No infections in the wounds, no belly issues. Ever.

Do not believe the fearmongering messages of the media. Just read up on it yourself and you will know. :)

That said, yes, you can die from it. ;)

Christine_L, drezy and Phosphene like this.