1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Vegan diet news.

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jack Kruse, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

2. AdamF

AdamF New Member

And then another study will come out that shows the opposite -- your work has taught me that the relationship between mechanism and effect is paramount for progress.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Many studies conflict by design. That is how astroturf works to confuse those who cannot think well.

karenr and JanSz like this.
  4. AdamF

AdamF New Member

The more that I do the things you say to do, the more that I realize how powerful your simple statements about hippos and lions are.

Cindy Domitrovits and Jack Kruse like this.
  5. Huck

Huck Silver

Three categories for carnivorous (lots of fruit and veggies, some, little) but only one for vegetarians. Shouldn't it have been vegetarians (high fat, moderate, low)?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^Where is the light in the decision tree?

drezy likes this.
  7. drezy

drezy Gold

Thanks for that. This seems like such a tough one for people.

I think it's really hard for people without the experience to even imagine this. The lack of light as a significant part of the equation (and over allocation to food) exists even here:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...-a-changing-journey.13824/page-26#post-237744
    I fear that to many who have not tried it you sound like Charley Brown's teacher:

When I bask in summer sun the amount of calories I eat is ridiculously low, like less than half what my wife eats @ 1/2 my own mass. Don't tell her I said that I'm counting the calories that she eats or I'm going to have to move my pillow to the couch for a week but basic math informs me that I'm eating less than 1/4 of what is "normal" during these times.

Nobody will believe this until they experience it. I don't write about it much because I think that even my own testimony pales in comparison to @kris90 's experience and the amount of muscle mass he's able to maintain.

Then there's the amazing @Barry. Holy f*ck-nuggets! Seriously read his posts folks! Start on post one and read them all to understand what is possible ( https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/fasted-state-training-adaptations.297/ ). This guy wakes up, eats a hard boiled egg or two and then runs further and faster than most people run in a year (or two... or five). I don't care if those egg laying hens were free-ranged, massaged every day, and given professional egg gestating presentations it's clear that it's just not as much about the food there.

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

drezy likes this.
  9. kris90

kris90 New Member

@drezy lol it's true. When I'm in the sun and the cold, I eat less and become more jacked & ripped irregardless of exercise.

My T levels are quite a bit lower than average with high-ish SHBG and its only because I'm a badass at activating my androgen receptors by embracing the cold. I know this is a fact, because after a month of a high sugar/Ray Peat diet, my T level tripled and inflammatory markers rose.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

^^^deuterium effect. Breadcrumb alert.

Cindy Domitrovits and kris90 like this.
  11. kris90

kris90 New Member

Cold + sun depletes deuterium in the receptor which decreases mass, allowing the hormone to do a better job activating the receptor?

MonteD and Danco3636 like this.
  12. MonteD

MonteD New Member

Decrease the travel distance/time of those electrons. Classic efficiency equations.

kris90 likes this.
  13. kris90

kris90 New Member

Yup.

I find it very odd that some people are still chasing the high hormone levels especially T. There is a correlation between insulin levels and T levels, yet everyone knows to strive for low insulin & insulin sensitivity.

Low levels of leptin also link to low T levels. Nothing wrong with that if you are leptin sensitive.

14. kris90

kris90 New Member

I want to pick some brains here... Most people who end up vegan for the purpose of "being healthy" or trying to fix a disease/symptom report feeling better almost immediately, but we know vegans tend to crash and burn (as this thread suggests: higher instances of cancer, allergies, mental health disorders and poor quality of life amongst vegans).

Is the reason newly vegans feel better initially because they have a poor redox potential, cannot fat burn and have lost their superoxide pulse to stimulate mitophagy? These people tend to feel worse and do poorly with ketosis (i.e. Jimmy Moore), so perhaps the high carb nature of vegan diet helps offset their poor redox, because glycolysis is predominant in hypoxic states? This makes them feel better while they deplete stem cells quickly?

Just trying to make sense of this so I can explain to potential clients not to be fooled by the rewarding feelings of "safe starches" and help them understand that they need strong UV light to increase tissue oxygenation to generate the right free radicals to work with carbs to optimize mitophagy?

15. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

I'm not 100% sure about this I read that foods high in deuterium offer a stimulating effect. We know that carbs are among the highest in deuterium, and the vegan diet replaces a large part of protein and fat with carbohydrates. So that means a higher deuterium intake and stimulating effect, but this can't be maintained without the primordial source of energy: Sunlight. So without year round sunlight the high-carb, high-deuterium intake is bound to go off the rails. Circadian fail, sub-optimal mitochondria, etc. So in other words, this stimulating effect might be part of the cause for that immediate better feeling.

Brent Patrick, karenr and kris90 like this.
  16. kris90

kris90 New Member

@WalterNL yes I agree with this regarding the deuterium effect. Just thought about how Jack has written when we have a poor redox and lose superoxide pulse, we have no way to stimulate mitophagy. So I guess that ties into the mitochondrial dysfunction you mentioned. I assume deuterium (carbs) + strong UV = good for mitophagy. But deuterium without the strong UV = loss of mitophagy.

But that would also lead to a Warburg shift, no? In which case, glycolysis would be the selected pathway due to pseudohypoxia (lack of UV light while eating mostly carbs). If that is the case, then of course fueling with carbs would make one feel better because they can only use glucose as the fuel, but I assume this only works in the short term because of the rapid apoptosis and stem cell depletion leading to eventual oncogenesis.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

18. drezy

drezy Gold

Damn, I watched two staunch vegan mothers in my age group both get ill and both die of brain cancer. They both looked "off" for a while, but once they got the cancer prognosis it went shockingly fast. It was so sad to watch both of them go. I volunteered some time at the school our kids went to and watched the effects it all had before, during, and after on their kids. Crushing.

19. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

Lahelada likes this.
  20. kris90

kris90 New Member

Awesome Jack! Strong solar stimulus makes up the deficit of a vegan diet that is more nutrient poor than the native inuit diet that provides more essential nutrients when quantum yield is low. You're bang on most Vegans are living in a low quantum yield world, and this destroys them quickly.

Environment ALWAYS trumps diet. When will people wake up to this fact?