1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Veelansu's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by veelansu, Sep 30, 2013.

1. veelansu

veelansu New Member

I'm back in ketosis full force. I've started seeing some minor weight loss again. I started lowering my thyroid medication. Reduced it by one grain. I wanted to see if it would make me gain weight as it has done in the past. But given that I'm still losing, slower but still in the right direction, I will continue to lower it until I see my temps go down or my weight loss stopping.

I've been dipping in the bay. Not every day and not for very long, but it's feeling good. I've also been running with my daughter. We only do a couple of miles but I love the runner's high.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

You are such an athlete.....I am jealous....:)

3. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Aww thanks. I have never been athletic. Always hated gym. I was always a bookworm. That helped me get far at work, but not with my health. I'm more committed to my health now, so I started doing things I find fun. I still cannot go to the gym or do HIIT. Ugh! Burpees! I would rather play football or kickball or run by the bay.

I rendered lard today since it's starting to get chilly and I'm supposed to eat seasonally, so I'm only using coconut oil for my coffee. I'm going to start cooking with lard. I cannot find duck nor duck fat here. San Diego has practically everything I need, except duck. Weird. I may have to find a local farm or something.

4. veelansu

veelansu New Member

I missed the webinar today because I was cleaning out my apartment of all the clutter that I still have and by the time I remembered it was too late. I am organizing as much as I can and minimize what I own. I'm keeping only things that have meaning for me. Pictures of family and friends. Books I love, clothes I actually wear, etc.

I am also making bone broth, it's in my crock pot, I can't wait to taste it. I found a great butcher shop that sells all things grass fed. I bought enough meat for the month. Also went to the fish market, I had wahoo today for breakfast. I love trying new types of fish. It was delish.

I was thinking today about how I got to where I am today with my health, I was always so healthy, thin and vibrant. Had so much energy. And something clicked. Up until I was about 23 years old, I practically lived barefoot. I hated shoes and would only wear them if I absolutely had to. Even to his day, when I get home the first thing I do it take off my shoes. I lived in NY until I was 16 and every night I would have to wash my feet because they were black from walking barefoot in grass, on asphalt, wherever. I used to pull glass shards from my soles regularly (NY sidewalks always had broken bottles). Then I moved to Argentina and I would do he same thing. It was when I moves back to NY at the age of 23 that for whatever reason, maybe because I was officially an "adult" I just stopped. This is when I starts seeing my weight gain start. Not significantly, but slowly as the years past. I had stopped grounding! And EMF was a bigger and bigger issue. Cell phones became more prevalent, as well as cordless phones, etc. Such an epiphany. I need to start walking barefoot again and act like I did when I was 16. I used to walk under the rain. I still love to do that, but it never rains in San Diego. I miss thunderstorms,

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Vee .... You sound very dialed in...I like it a lot! We will have to do NOLA and Mardi GRAS one day! We will have to rent that house and invite 20 George Clooney look a likes.....oh wait that isn't NOLA is it..... So - 1 week on the gulf eating Seafood 24/7and one week drinking Cajun martinis in NOLA.....not optimal I know - but if we drank martinis in an ice tub ...it would be fine.....

Will you eventually move back to the Gulf?

6. nicld

nicld Gold

I have been reading the book Earthing and it makes so much sence to me. I was the same way growing up. Used to walk to the neighbors on crushed rock barefoot. I think it is also the reason why I get so anxious in the spring to get out and play in the dirt. Took the DD out for some "earthing" yesterday and I think she liked it.

7. veelansu

veelansu New Member

caroline, I was so disappointed when they cancelled the weekend in NOLA. I was really looking forward to it and meeting you and everyone. I wish we could rent out the house and just have people come by. :) it would be a great time.

I am trying to move back down south, but jobs like mine are hard to come by, but I am trying. I work for the defense industry as an engineer. It's very speciallized so It's not that easy. But as I said, I put out feelers eveytime I go down south to visit my friends. Maybe one day something will pop up. If not, then when I retire, I will definitely move down south. It will be a while though if that's the catalyst.

nicld, I miss doing that, so I just started walking by the bay barefoot. It seems to be helping.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

You could buy that house and turn it into an awesome B&B! If only I had money! and I understand that B&B's don't make money - even if running pretty close to capacity.

We always need to have both oars in the water..... and keep paddling!!! who knows what will happen one day ...:)

9. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Maybe if I hit the lottery, since then money would not matter. :) I will invite you all if that happens.

I have been really strict in my eating habits. I am in full ketosis, purple on my sticks. This is good, but for some reason, my weight loss has stopped. I also have had two really bad nights where I cannot sleep, I wake up regularly. I have been using the blue blocker glasses more, starting when the sun goes down, not sure if that is causing my body to react. It was horrible. I have not had that happen to me since I started this program. I stopped talking the melatonin, because I thought I was falling asleep at a decent hour and only walking up about 3 or 4 but then right back to sleep. These past few nights it my sleep was so light, I could hear my inner voice all night. I kept tossing and turning. Ugh! Last night was not that bad, I slept deep at least 6 hours, and stayed in be a couple hours more. I did not use the blue blockers except for two hours before sleeping vs. sundown. Could this have something to do with it? I am at a loss. I am going to use the glasses again tonight to test out the theory. Weird.

The good news is that I think my sweet cravings are going away. I no longer have a need to eat something sweet after dinner, and this morning, my coffee tasted TOO sweet. Progress! Now I have to figure out the sleep issue and then the stalled weight loss. I see a couple of pounds go down, then they come back up, then down, then back up. I think my body is fighting itself and I am not sure what to do to help it break that barrier.

Since my labs showed my SHBG number through the roof, I have added Stinging Nettle Root to my daily routine. I take 1gm a day, I am hoping this will increase my free T and estrogen as those number are low, allowing me to reduce my thyroid medication. I already eliminated one grain of Armour from my daily dose. I bought an RO filter for my countertop and plan on starting the Iodine heavy metal detox protocol. I am eating seafood at least 3 to 4 days a week, but I am going to try it anyway for a few weeks and see how it makes me feel. I am hoping it also helps me reduce my thyroid medication as well and help get my SHBG down.

The weird thing in my labs was that my Eos went from 1 to 11 in one month. I have no idea what this means. When I google it tells me that it's either an allergy or a parasitic infection. I have not done anything different than what I have been doing since August 15th when I started this journey, so not sure what happened between September and October. I am going to retest in November to see what it says. Weird yet again.

This morning I had some yummy Salmon with some grilled onions. I made lard this weekend so I cooked breakfast with it. Barely cooked as I love raw salmon, but I need some warm food for breakfast so I sauteed it. I didn't think it was going to be enough to keep me satisfied until dinner, but I feel pretty full 2 hours after eating. I am thinking of making some curry lamb for dinner. Not sure yet. My biggest hurdle is still drinking enough water. I just get so focused at work that I forget and my body just does not trigger the thirst sensation. I have added reminders on my calendar to help, but sometimes I ignore those too.

I still have not gotten into CT very much. It feels like torture. I need to figure out a way to make it part of my routine. I know it has great benefits, but I am still too chicken to really dive into it, no pun intended.

10. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Why not have a bottle of water on your desk or close by your work station? That way you see it a lot and it's easy to pick up and take a mouthful, you don't have to drawn yourself in industrial quantities ☺️

11. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Sooperb. I wish I could explain the laziness that's is me. :). I actually have 2 bottles at work, I just have to walk almost a whole block to get to the RO water machine to fill them up. The close water is just tap. I have been making myself walk to the machine as soon as I walk into my office. It' was better today, I drank about 24 oz at work and about 16 oz at home so far. But it is something that I have to be conscious about. And believe it or not, if I don't do this, I could go all 9 hours at work without drinking a thing. That's how bad it is. If I am really focused, really in the zone! I forget about it and like I mentioned! I don't get the thirst signals.

12. veelansu

veelansu New Member

I started the iodine protocol that Grizz outlines in the Iodine thread. I'm trying to cut down on my thyroid meds so I'm doing all the thing I think will help so I can get down to one or two grains of Armour a day. Or maybe even eliminate it al together. I have my thyroid, it just started getting sluggish when I lost my ovaries and my sex hormones went all out of whack. It was my lack of knowledge, and the medical communities lack of interest, that got me into this mess. Fighting it for the last 13 years has taught me a lot and I believe I am finally getting a handle on my own health, thanks to everything I have learned here. I have now cut down my meds from 6 grains to 4, 360 mg down to 240 mg. I have not experienced the usual weight gain that I have seen in the past when trying to reduce my dosage so that is a good thing. The only issue is that I have plateaued at 165 lbs. I was 182 when I started this journey on August 15th so I can't really complain. I am in ketosis so not sure what's happening in my body that won't let the fat go away. But I'm willing to wait it out and keep this protocol up. I have been better with my water, so that's a plus. I am going to the south for thanksgiving and hope to be out near a hunting camp. No cell towers, no internet. I can't wait.

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

It sounds like you are doing well Vee. That weight loss is great....... how is your body comp? being really strict helps in my opinion. So many go off the rails every few weeks and then they have to start all over again ... not ideal!

14. veelansu

veelansu New Member

I've lost a lot of fat, not sure what else you mean by body composition. I have gone down two pant sizes. I have before and after pictures in my underwear so I cannot share. :) but the difference is pretty noticeable. I have really good will power. I have been strict since coming back from my conference where I tried to stay on track but did not succeed 100% of the time, I went to a birthday party on Saturday and I was able to say no to cake! A first for me. I did have a glass of wine though, so that's where I tend to do what I'm not supposed to. I do drink a glass of wine on rare occasion, maybe twice a month.

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Body comp .... I went down 2 sizes and my weight had actually gone up 2K.

When you knock out the cravings - everything is very doable! I think a glass of red wine every once in awhile is fine...

I think as long as we are hyper aware of what we put in our mouth .... it is our road to travel - and I, for one, want as much mileage as possible.....:)

I don't even think it is about will power anymore really ......I can now see the prize - and I want it! I can watch friends eat cake and I think really???? you are 50 lb. overweight and extremely unhealthy and on all kinds of drugs ....who are you kidding .... surely a piece of cake isn't worth that......

16. veelansu

veelansu New Member

It's been a while since I wrote. A lot has been going on in my life. My mom fell and broke her hip last Monday. I had to takek a same day flight to Florida and spent the week with her at the hospital. She's still there. I had to fly back last night. She's supposed to transition to a rehabilitation facility as soon as they discharge her, but she's anemic so they are completing a transfusion to see if they can get her labs to look better. I am very distraught that I had to come back, but thankfully, I will be back there on the 20th, and I am planning to move her in with me the weekend after thanksgiving. I can't have her so far away. Even though my two sisters are very close to her, they live in the same city, they have not been the best support. Without me there she spends most of the time alone in the hospital. I just don't understand them. It was not that easy to stay on track in the hospital, but I think I did pretty good. I lost another pound but I think that was the stress more than the protocol. I also was not in any mood for sweets either. At one point I was trying to convince myself that it was okay to eat something bad, but I really didn't want it. I had no cravings at all. I am almost on the verge of being sensitive I think. I didn't sleep very well, as hospital recliners suck. But I passed out last night after getting home. It's not been a fun week. I cannot wait till I can get her here with me. It will be a lot less stressful, and I will be more in control of her health and her well being. I need to see if I can get her to eat like me, but she is 77 and so she may not want to as she is set in her ways. I just want to make the rest of her life happy and fulfilling. Can't wait for Thanksgiving to be here so I can be done there and pack all her stuff to bring with me.

I have been on the Stinging Nettle Root to deal with my extremely high SHBG, and I think I am starting to see results. I can tell that the Testosterone and Estrogen levels may be going up. I am going to get my labs for hormones done in about 2 more weeks to see if it's true or placebo. I also have started taking iodine, but very slowly, no news there. I should see more in a few weeks too. Labs should be able to tell me if I need to reduce my thyroid meds even more. Right now I am still at 4 grains. I want to go down to just 2 or maybe even none at all. Wouldn't that be great! to have a fully functional thyroid and endocrine system again. :). The one pound loss was the high of my week. haha.

17. nicld

nicld Gold

Oh Vee, what a blow but sounds like you did the best you could.

Hopefully your mom starts to feel better but I cannot image the stress that you are going to be in when she moves in. I love my mother dearly but we could never live together (been there, done that, did not speak to each other for 9 months).

As for changing your mothers eating habits, if you are going to be the one shopping and preparing the foods then just say she has to eat what you prepare. You know, the way she did when you were growing up. My SIL needs to take better care of herself and when she comes to stay with us, she eats whatever I make. If she wants junk the DH and her have to go out and get it.

Hang in there.

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Vee - I am so sorry to hear about your Mom...... Thankfully she has you. I think, like Nicole said, you will be doing the shopping and preparing .....Maybe don't say much about it. - just do. There is a recipe for banana bread in the recipe section....would that keep her happy? And lots of coconut flour recipes for flat breads. Would that make it harder for you tho?

I am sending you a big hug .....xo

19. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Aw Vee, how upsetting for you and mum. It's so difficult to care from a distance isn't it. My mum lived much nearer to my sister and although she kept an eye on her it was largely a mutually beneficial arrangement as my mum did a lot of babysitting for her. When she had her stroke it was my sister who took her to hospital, unfortunately she has little medical knowledge and whilst I doubt my mum could have been saved, there were things they should and could have done that weren't and my sister didn't ask because she has no interest in such things. Then when my daughter and I turned up and started asking, she got really shirty and thought we were interfering! Families eh!

I'm sure you'll cope but even so I hope it all goes well for you both :) {{{{Vee + Mum}}}}

20. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Thanks for all the kind words, you all.

Nicole, I've always thought that if my mom and I lived together we would kill each other but I've matured since then and she's gotten more dependent so I'm hoping it's not a bad idea. I'm actually looking forward to it.

caroline, I will look at the recipes. I think as long as she has some item that is breadlike she should be okay. Although she has some retirement money so I probably won't be able to keep her from buying and preparing her own food if she wants to. My mom is feisty. I take after her so it will be an interesting time during meals.

sooperb, I had some mega "conversations" with both my sisters and they've been a bit better. I'm sorry about your mom. It IS hard to manage something like that from a distance.

Mom was moved today to a rehabilitation facility so I feel a bit better since that means that her health issues have been managed and now they are going to work on her ability to walk and make her stronger.

The good news today. I was asked to go to Hawaii on a business trip. I'll be there just two days but still. I can use a little bit of paradise. It's Honolulu so I'm sure the emf will be huge but I'll still enjoy it.

I ate beef heart yesterday for the first time ever. I loved it. It was so good I'm going to buy some more. The meat after cleaning it, looked a lot like ahi tuna or very lean steak. Loved it!

Today I had fish and veggies. Nothing special but yummy.