1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Veelansu's Journal

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by veelansu, Sep 30, 2013.

1. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Hello everyone. Although I've started this journey in August, I want to start tracking my progress, get good comments to anything I may be doing wrong and keep myself honest. The impetus to begin is due to the fact that I am away from home for the next two weeks, I have found that when I'm not near my own kitchen, it's really difficult to stay on track. Sometimes because of all the temptations, or limited items to eat. The only good thing is that my travels have brought me to the gulf coast. I lived in Mobile, Al from 2006-2010 and fell in love with this area. I was forced to move to San Diego ( which some people think is an upgrade, but I personally do not feel at home there) Mobile is home for me. I made great friends here. I would give anything to come back. The consolation is that I make a decent living and can travel here when I get time off. This time around, I'm traveling to a conference in New Orleans so I drove the hour or so to Mobile to spend a few days with my friends. I've commandeered my friends kitchen and have been really good at staying on track. I filled her fridge with grass fed beef, wild salmon, pastured eggs and butter, lots of green veggies, and r/o bottled water. I believe the tap water here does not have fluoride, but better safe than sorry. I'm afraid that the 5 days at the conference will be a lot harder to work with. Living in a hotel usually stinks. I have to figure out how to eat within 30 min of waking. Not sure yet how to do that. I don't even know if they will have a mini fridge or a microwave. Need to research that. If they do, it will be easier, but if they don't, it may take longer for me to eat. Also, all the meals are catered. I tried to get them to accommodate my dietary requirements but I doubt that I can get wild seafood nor grass fed animal meat. Restaurants in NOLA are notorious for being non-paleo to be sure. And the French quarter at night, where I am sure to end as its hard to pass up, may throw me off course. Sigh. We shall see. I know my health is more important but I cannot stop living life and become a hermit either. Any suggestions for surviving this would be very appreciated if anyone has had similar experiences.

I have not started CT as I cannot handle the cold. I hate being cold. I feel miserable. This comes from living in NYC for the first 30 years of my life. I remember walking to school in the snow. Practically having frost bitten feet, hands and nose. My family was humble and my shoes were never waterproof. So I'm really resisting dunking myself in freezing water. I may one day start as it makes a lot of sense to do it, but again, I live my life in ways that make me happy. Being healthy and looking good make me very happy. But being cold reduces my happiness so I have to find that tipping point where being unhappy for a few hours a week in cold water, will outweigh not doing it. I'm not there yet.

Well enough for this first post.

Breakfast:
    3 pastured eggs
    1 oz mozzarella cheese
    1/4 sweet potato
    1/2 zucchini
    1 uncured grass fed hot dog (no nitrates)
    12 oz coffee with 2 tbs pastured butter and 2 tbs coconut oil

Plan for dinner
    Salad with lettuce, fennel, avocado olive oil and apple cider vinegar
    Grass fed hamburger patty
    Code:
    [B]Supplements[/B]
                                    [U]Morning[/U]                                    [U]Evening[/U]
    Omega 3 fish oil                 1400mg.                                1400 mg
    Niacin                              500mg                                   500mg
    Vitamin D3                      10000 ui
    Ubiquinol+pqq.                 100+10 mg.                            100+10 mg
    Schizandra                        580 mg.                              580 mg
    Milk thistle                       350 mg.                              350 mg
    7-Keto DHEA.                      25 mg.                                25 mg
    Evening primrose oil.              1300 mg.                            1300mg
    Chlorella.                      1000 mg.                            1000mg
    Biotin.                        10000 mcg
    K1.                            500 mcg
    K4.                            500 mcg
    K7.                             50 mcg

[B]Meds[/B]
    Armour thyroid                    2grs                                  4grs
    Progesterone.                                                              300 mg
    Biest. 9mg/g                     3/4 g.                                    3/4 g
    Testosterone 3.2mg/g.       3/4 g.                                    3/4 g

Happy Monday everyone.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

welcome and glad to see you begun a journal....

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Vee and welcome! Just take baby steps and you will get there. We can talk more later about getting you into a cold tub!
    I love to see that you are really thinking this thru ...you seem to be in the right headspace for this optimal journey of a lifetime :)

if you call the hotel - I am pretty sure they can provide a fridge....maybe tell them you are diabetic and need special food?

Sometimes we have to tell little stories to get where we need to go....and BTW ....have a ball in NOLA.....live large :)

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I was in NOLA this weekend.......Eating seafood

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Living "large" again I see ........a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I would abstain from Omega 3 fish oil, way too much EPA.

6grains of Armour thyroid that is a lot.
    remember about cortisol, iodine/iodide, selenium

DHEAs----???

7. nicld

nicld Gold

Welcome Vee,

I am with you, traveling can be such a pain but it sounds you are doing the best you can.

I too hated being cold and seemed to be cold all the time. Start off CT slowly, it does work. What I did was sit in my tub and let the cooler water slowly fill the tub. In the beginning it just worked better. Slowly the water got colder and colder and the time in it got longer and longer. Now I add frozen milk jugs to get the water as cold as possible but that has taken me almost 4 months and as weird as it sounds, after the initial shock I actually feel warm sitting in 50 degree water. Just take it slow and as warm as you need it and I agree, being cold is not good mentally. That's why I do my really long cold ones on the weekends since rewarming is easier then.

Good luck

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

We used to call ....filling the tub slowly....the croak soak - after one of the forum members :)

The other possibility is to fill the tub right up ....jump in and utter a lot of profanity......

9. veelansu

veelansu New Member

JanSz, I've tried taking less Armour but when I do, my hair starts to fall out and I get all sorts of hypo symptoms. I'm hoping that as I start to reset my body I won't need as much. I don't know what else to do as it works for me. And I know that I need to get my omega 3 from eating seafood, which I do, I love seafood, but it is one of Dr. Kruse's top ten supplements. I'm trying to follow the reset as best as I understand it. Should I really stop taking it?

Nicld, caroline, one day I am sure I will try it. :)

Dr. Kruse, thanks for the welcome.

--------------------------

Journal continues

I'm from argentine descent. As some of you may know, this culture eats very late at night. Since I can remember. I never ate dinner before 8 or 9 pm. When I visit my family down south, we never eat till 11 pm most of the time. And so, I think that habits are hard to shake. I have been very strict about eating by 6 or 7 the latest. I always look out of the window to see that there is still some light when I sit down to eat. The issue is that I am still hungry late at night. I'm not starving, but I feel the need to feel the fullness in my belly that I always have when going to bed. It's very distracting. I've been drinking warm herbal tea to feel something warm. I've been skipping lunch because the BAB really does keep me full for most of the day. I'm thinking I may need to eat more at dinner.

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I am not saying that you should change you thyroid hormone dose, now.
    I am saying that you likely may have low cortisol.
    See where you are on (cortisol-7:30AM,serum) with good levels you may get satisfaction with less Armour.

Also good idea to do 4x saliva cortisol & DHEA.

===========================================================

When you eat food, it comes balanced. It is not the case with supplements.
    To figure them out you need good testing.
    In this case good (detailed) fatty acid analysis.

At Mayo Clinic or LabCorp you can get:

Fatty Acid Profile, Comprehensive (C8-C26), Serum

Number of labs are selling tests that are evaluating O6/O3 ratios, those tests are misleading.
    When you are full of EPA (and missing all DHA) you are still passing those test with flying colors.
    And this is what you will get by eating fish or krill oils.

I have asked dr Kruse about this topic and he send me Patricia Kane PHD.

Read whole article or around the sentence I highlighted and make up your own mind.
    http://www.bodybio.com/BodyBio/docs/BodyBioBulletin-4to1Oil.pdf

11. nicld

nicld Gold

12. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Okay, I will get the additional labs to see where I am at with the fatty acids and stop taking the fish oil. Thanks for that information. I am hoping I can lower my thyroid meds. I tried going T3 only, nicld, and it did not work for me. My RT3 did go down to nearly nothing but my body was still having hypo symptoms, even worse than before. I did it for 6 months and almost went bald. My apartment was full of hair, handfuls in the shower. It was a horrible experience. That's when I started taking the biotin and the evening primrose oil. I have a nice head of hair now since going back to Armour and adding those supplements. I still have tons of baby hairs but that's a good thing. :).

I made it safe and sound to New Orleans. I stopped by Whole Foods in Metairie and picked up pastured butter for my morning coffee, some cooked shrimp for tonight. I will pick up a salad in this hotel and that should be good for today. My big concern is breakfast tomorrow. I will walk around tonight to see if I can find a place nearby I can eat at early tomorrow.

Then the real challenge starts with all the catered meals they have planned at this conference. Ugh! I'm hoping it won't be too hard to stay focused.

Wish me luck. :)

13. caroline

caroline Moderator

Have you thought of getting some coconut manna and snacking on it while everyone else is gorging on their catered meals.

If you were Gluten intolerant they would need to provide you with an appropriate meal wouldn't they?

I always ask for gluten free on airplanes - it generally works out really well. Last time I flew to China I sat beside a lovely young man that couldn't believe the wonderful meals I was getting. He was very indignant with the flight staff that he couldn't get similar meats .....I wound up sharing mine with him :)

14. veelansu

veelansu New Member

I had conversations with the conference people and did exactly that. I told me I had a gluten allergy and was diabetic. They added some meal options so I could eat some things. The real issue is temptation!! I'm a sucker for desserts and my mom always says that I ate with my eyes not my stomach and she is right. If there is a dessert in front of me, it's so hard to walk away. I'm going to have to summon all the will power I can for the rest of this week. :)

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Have a ball regardless ......I love New Orleans........remember - sugar is poison.....you don't want that in your system and you reset yourself all the way back to the beginning. Dr. K. says you need a kick in the butt if you do that ...I am sure he used much more flowery language when he said that :)

16. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Hahaha! Thanks. I think that helps a lot believe it or not. I will keep repeating that to myself "sugar is poison" over and over. I definitely don't want to regress.

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

If you have to supplement and are otherwise prepared for it (cortisol),
    use natural thyroid hormone from pigs.
    T3 looks good on a paper.

///

18. oliveview

oliveview New Member

That's a great mantra to keep repeating!

19. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Didn't sleep very well last night at all. I think it was just being in a strange environment or the excitement of the conference. Not sure. I didn't get to have the BAB today which sucked. I did drink coffee with butter and coconut oil, so that helped. I had catfish and salad for lunch and walked by the dessert table. Nothing looked good enough to cheat and I did keep telling myself sugar is poison. :). That really helped. I am on my way to the next reception. I feel strong enough to be good. So after that event, day one of this trip will be done with and I will feel that much stronger for being able to stay away from all the bad food. It's not as hard as I thought it would be, I do miss my BAB though. I'm going to try harder tomorrow to get some food in me within 30 min of waking. We shall see.

20. veelansu

veelansu New Member

Dinner was uneventful. They did not have desserts out. Yay! I ate more catfish and some coleslaw, which was the only veggie like side. I had one glass of wine and water. I'm back in my room now in the dark getting ready for bed. Overall, not as bad as I thought it would be, although not altogether great. More fun tomorrow. :)