1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Uva/ uvb light??

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Eilee, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Eilee

Eilee Gold

I live in the Boston area and, while I am managing to get about 20 minutes morning sun, I don't feel that is enough. I am also concerned about not getting enough UVB as the cold weather approaches. Wondering peoples thoughts about using a reptile light to get both UVA and UVB? If I were to get one of these, is this something I would want to use all day in my new office that I am setting up, or for a limited time each day?

With regards to wanting more morning sun, is the reptile light sufficient, or what I want to get a combination of black and full spectrum light to use in the morning in addition to the small amount of real sun that I am able to get?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

UVB is not as big deal in cold climates........UVA is. So use the UVA indoors and you can consider tanning 20-30 twice a week. Boston has a ton of this spas.

Calum and seanb4 like this.
  3. Eilee

Eilee Gold

Thanks Jack!

In terms of morning UVa light, would I want a black light or a full spectrum light or both at the same time?

4. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

Id like to second this question

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The light can be either one........but it depends upon you location and context. Without that accuracy cannot be optimized. That is why we have member educational consults. The light's timing in the AM.......is more important than when you turn it off too............

6. Eilee

Eilee Gold

Yes, and how to use them exactly? Jack, in another post, you recommended a 13 W UVA or 26 W black light. Having trouble finding a 26 Watt black bulb except in florescent. Which types of bulbs do you recommend? Also, how far away do you stand?

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I recommend things based upon location and context. I dont know yours so I cannot say.

Calum likes this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The distance from the light is immaterial for the effect.......but to get away from light for nnEMF reasons is get the light as far from you as possible. To get your specific answers Eilee you need a journal and likely to get on the member Q & A's.

Calum likes this.
  9. Eilee

Eilee Gold

In terms of lighting, I live in Boston.
    Just became a member and am beginning to listen to some webinars and Q&A's. Plan to post when I have some time and can get my labs done as well.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

OK.........when I see the data I will comment.

11. David Limacher

David Limacher Canadian Lifestyler

Very little to no UVB in Boston after Sept 17th. Not until March 27th will Boston have the sun at the angle that allows for UVB to reach the surface.

12. Eilee

Eilee Gold

I am heading on vacation for a week and to listen to a few webinars and Q&A's while away. Wondering if anyone can recommend the most useful ones with regards to lighting in my limited time away?

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'd start with May 2015. And the Q & A. Nov 2015 is also very good on the Q & A for this topic.

brandie likes this.
  14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Going from Boston to a nice sunny place (for a week)
    sounds like asking for a sunburn.

It takes long time for skin to assimilate to strong light, about a month.

15. Eilee

Eilee Gold

Would love any tips about being out in the sun while away. I, too, am concerned about getting burnt. My cheeks would get red even when wearing a strong (natural) sunscreen. A few questions I would love answered:

How do I know if I am getting a burn when a burn doesn't usually doesn't show up until much later?
    Best tactics to avoid overshooting?
    Thoughts about specific times of day to avoid? Midday?
    Specific times/places to wear sunglasses? - when walking along the beach or looking at the water?
    When I am on the beach, is it enough just to lie on the beach or should I be looking up at the sky?
    Can you absorb rays through closed eyes?

16. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

My thoughts:

• How do I know if I am getting a burn when a burn doesn't usually doesn't show up until much later? Best tactics to avoid overshooting?

When my skin has warmed to where I feel like it feels 'hot' is a sign to me to immediately get that body part out the sun or else there will be a burn later on.

Coconut oil really seems to help keep my skin from getting that 'hot' feeling. The difference can be from 10 min without to 30 min up to 1 hour with coconut oil on.
    • Thoughts about specific times of day to avoid? Midday?
    Yes. Avoid midday to 2 pm as the sun is really strong on skin at that time.

• Specific times/places to wear sunglasses? - when walking along the beach or looking at the water?
    I don't think from what I understand from Dr. K that you shouldn't wear them at all! Only if you are on a boat all day looking at water the entire time. Being on a beach and gazing at water wouldn't count.

17. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

When I am on the beach, is it enough just to lie on the beach or should I be looking up at the sky?
    Can you absorb rays through closed eyes?

I would like to know this too!

18. JanSz

JanSz Gold

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-14#post-177337

After prolonged lack of sun exposure one must start slowly.

There is a video (on Low Cortisol thread) that describes introduction to the whole body sun exposure.
    It describes it in (rather drastic) way.
    It takes about a month (of incremental daily 5min exposures)
    to be able to stay in full sun (for half an hour)(safely).
    It takes longer if one want to stay whole day in full sun.
    No sunscreens. Nothing applied to skin.
    No glasses.
    No clothes.

Divide body into 7 parts
    1-feet to mid way feet knees.
    2-feet to knees
    3-feet to mid thighs
    4-feet to crotch
    5-feet to bottom of rib cage
    6-feet to neck
    7-whole body
    ---------------------
    Start with lying down, only part #1 exposed to sun for 5 minutes
    rest of the body covered
    next day
    expose part #1 & #2 for 5 minutes
    and so on
    so when you come first time to the whole body you will have
    5 min on face and 35 min on part #1

Then keep increasing by 5 min every day.

=================
    With effort as above,
    it is better to go thru it just once,
    and keep more frequent sun exposure.

/

19. Eilee

Eilee Gold

I'm wondering if this is really necessary. I got plenty of sun during the summer ...and only plan to be away for 1 week. Was really looking forward to experiencing the sun on my skin :(

20. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Eilee ,don't overcomplicate but enjoy.Pack everything but fear.
    You get warning of a su burn by a tightness in the skin. Stop for the day when you are pink. Use an Epsom salt spritz. I have not burned yet and I am a type 1 skin.
    How about hopping on a good sun bed before you go ?