1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

UV Tanning Beds?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Purple Haze, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm wondering if tanning beds are ok for an occasional UV treatment.
    I know nothing can replace the real Sun, but living in Vancouver BC Canada, the Sun can be in hiding for long periods of time. Is it ok to go to UV tanning beds during those dark & gloomy times?
    Thank,
    Haze

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Very slippery slope for myself........I made the decision based upon what I know that I did not want to use the beds and would rather use the sun by moving to it.

seanb4 likes this.
  3. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Do you consider it a slippery slope because of potential health risks? I figure if I can use UV black lights in my home and office, it might be ok to use a UV tanning bed on occasion.
    Is it the strength and concentration of the UV beds that are a concern? I wouldn't want to use it as substitute for the real Sun, just a winter time supplement.

I'd love to move to a sunnier location one day. In the mean time I want do all I can to recover. I am going to Italy's Amalfi Coast in a few weeks for some Sun & Seafood…and perhaps some cryotherapy in the sea.
    I'll think of you when I visit Michelangelo's David. Thanks again Jack for all that you do!

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I do because Quantum health has taught me that everything is a N=1 situation. That really is the deep meaning of the April 2016 webinar.

nicld likes this.
  5. I'll make a comment on my own experience. I do like tanning beds and I used on from September 2015 until early April 2016. I buy a monthly pass for 36.99, about the same cost as Vitamin D supplements. I live at 50.45 degrees latitude in Canada. Regina is one of the sunniest places in Canada and winter is sunny most of the time. However, I cannot get UVB rays in my location from Sept to April so I tan.

When I tan, I feel better. I sleep better, I have more energy, and my mood is positive.

The EMF question I have address with lots of grounding pre tanning, and loading up on water. Being very hydrated before tanning is something I swear by.

I have had to alter my diet slightly due to the increased exposure to the tanning.

So far I have not had an ill effects or side effects using the beds. I do protect my face from long exposures. After 3-5 minutes I will shield my face with silken cloth. Day light here is 14+ hours a day so I have reduced my tanning bed exposure in the last 2 weeks, in favor of spending the day outside working. I make sure to expose as much of my spine as I can for as long as I can.

I've installed a golf net outside, my back facing to the south sun. I swing barefoot to get grounded. Being outside grounded in the sun as much as I can is one way I mitigate any negative effects of the tanning bed.

I will again use tanning beds starting in September 2016. Maybe I will make a trip south to get humidity with the sun.

endless and seanb4 like this.
  6. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Thanks David, as a fellow Canadian I can appreciate your situation. Vancouver is awesome in the Spring and Summer when it's sunny, but as you may know, we can get rain for long periods.
    I'm unsure about the UVB here. Vancouver is 49 degrees latitude, so I'll assume the lack of UVB would be the same as Regina, but perhaps even worse because there is not as much sunny days Sept thru April.
    I think I'll try the tanning bed to see how it makes me feel. Luckily the past week has been absolutely gorgeous here, so I've been soaking up as much of the real stuff as I can.
    Thanks again for the info.

7. Saturn Island, BC UVB chart
    saturnislandUVB.gif

jenaf likes this.
  8. Based on this chart I'd be hitting the bed in September as well. Saturn Island is at the same latitude. You do have something going for you in BC though, you are at sea level, have good seafood, and can quickly get up the mountains to latitude where you can absorb UV. I do not have that luxury.

9. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Yes true, there are some advantages…but when it rains for 4 weeks in november it can start to effect me mentally and physically. Maybe I'll start to book my sun destination vacations in the winter to recharge.
    I'll take your advice and hit the bed in Sept. Thanks

10. Hunger4More

Hunger4More New Member

My experience is similar to David's:
    In the winter, the tanning bed can get you through the tough times. However, when the sun is out, the tanning bed comes nowhere close to how good the sun is.

Prioritize the sun.

Cheers,

Curves and nicld like this.
  11. jenaf

jenaf Silver

Haze, I'm in Vancouver too and I tan throughout the winter as well as set up some trips for UV. This last winter was the best winter I've had so far. Keeping hydrated is key. And most times I'll do my CT first and then go tan when I'm shivering. Best absorption.

primalmofo likes this.
  12. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Hi jenaf, it's nice to meet another Vancouverite on here (technically I'm in Langley). You know what we have to deal with here. Thanks for the tips and info. How often do you CT, and where do you do that, in the ocean?
    I haven't tried that yet.

13. jenaf

jenaf Silver

I'm in Pomo... I CT in my bathtub, in the ocean, and in Buntzen Lake (as well as Okanagan Lake). I've always been inconsistent with my CT but lately I've been doing it first thing in the morning. (Literally) for 15 mins.

14. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Yikes. I've started on lots of Sun and Seafood (seafood for breakfast and dinner), toning down the blue light and adding UV black lights inside. Will start with tanning bed sessions too. All this is fairly easy so far…but CT bath first thing in the morning will be a challenge for sure. Do find all these things helping you?

15. Curves

Curves Guest

Hi @Purple Haze! Thought I'd share my tanning bed n=1.
    Two years ago I moved from San Francisco to a small rural town in Oregon. That's a move from 37 latitude to 45.
    We bought a place with some land and spent much of the summer removing 100s of blackberry bushes which meant I covered my skin so as to avoid injury. Big mistake!
    When I had my Vitamin D tested last October it was a abysmal 35.5. I freaked. I thought about supplementing but that didn't feel right so I bought lizard lights with UVB and decided to use a tanning bed once a week for 20 minutes.
    I retested a few weeks ago and upped my Vit D to 44.2. Considering the low UV in Oregon during the winter I'm considering this a success.
    My goal is to get it up to 60 naturally this summer, plan monthly trips south and rely on the tanning bed January-March.

16. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Thanks for the info, Curves. Being in the Pacific Northwest as well, I can appreciate your situation. I'll take your advice on the tanning bed.
    What's a lizard lamp? Is that an infrared heat lamp or a black (UV) light?

17. Curves

Curves Guest

18. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

I'm near Vancouver, Canada. 49 latitude. We get a lot of rain, much like Seattle.

Curves likes this.
  19. Curves

Curves Guest

I never thought the weather impacted me. Now I know that I was wrong. I was fine the first half of the winter, but the clouds started to totally irritate me the second half. When it was cloudy the last few days I was actually pissed off!! LOL Enough! I do love living here but will need to get out of Dodge more regularly that I did last winter. The lights and tanning will help.

20. Purple Haze

Purple Haze New Member

Yes, I never really thought about it much before, but definitely felt it over the past few winters. It's all making sense now. I think I'll start saving some of my vacation time to go to a sunny destination in the winter from now on. But I will take your advice on the tanning beds and lights.
    Is San Francisco basically sunny all year round?