1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

UV light slims you down

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by KalosKaiAgathos, May 22, 2019.

1. KalosKaiAgathos

KalosKaiAgathos New Member

New (mice) study just came out (emphasis mine):

Exposure to solar ultraviolet radiation limits diet-induced weight gain, increases liver triglycerides and prevents the early signs of cardiovascular disease in mice.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND AIMS:
    Sunlight exposure is associated with a number of health benefits including protecting us from autoimmunity, cardiovascular disease, obesity and diabetes. Animal studies have confirmed that ultraviolet (UV)-B radiation, independently of vitamin D, can limit diet-induced obesity, metabolic syndrome and atherosclerosis. The aim of this study is to investigate whether exposure to the UV radiation contained in sunlight impacts on these disease parameters.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
    We have trialled an intervention with solar UV in obese and atherosclerosis-prone mice. We have discovered that solar-simulated UV can significantly limit diet-induced obesity and reduce atheroma development in mice fed a diet high in sugar and fat. The optimal regime for this benefit was exposure once a week to solar UV equivalent to approximately 30 min of summer sun. Exposure to this optimal dose of solar UV also led to a significant increase in liver triglycerides which may protect the liver from damage.

CONCLUSION:
    Our results show that the UV contained in sunlight has the potential to prevent and treat chronic disease at sites distant from irradiated skin. A major health challenge going forward will be to harness the power of the sun safely, without risking an increase in skin cancers.​

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30956026

(Credit to Robert Winton Hunt for posting this on FB)

Jason Coates, WalterNL and recoen like this.
  2. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Humans need a lot more UVB than mice though. I installed my first 100w reptile bulb in my room yesterday.

KalosKaiAgathos likes this.
  3. KalosKaiAgathos

Sure, agree. The finding is even more interesting because mice are nocturnal animals. And yet, UV light still has benefits for them...

Jason Coates likes this.
  4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

160 W

upload_2019-5-23_7-47-26.png

5. kris90

kris90 New Member

Perhaps it is because UV light doesn't always come from the sun? We now know from the biophoton research that ELF UV light is used for cell signalling at night.

Jason Coates likes this.
  6. Saichi

Saichi New Member

I never buy anything that has more than 17% one star reviews on Amazon.

7. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Ott and others did these experiments decades ago. Different types of mice and not always nocturnal. Anyone who's lived in NYC knows this lol.

Jason Coates likes this.
  8. shah78

shah78 Gold

my calorie consumption is down almost 33% since moving to the yucatan. :)

KalosKaiAgathos and caroline like this.
  9. Saichi

Saichi New Member

My calorie consumption is down 50% since I started CT. If I eat my former pre-CT serving size now I feel awful rest of the day and usually the next morning. Feels like my stomach shrunk half in size although I've only lost about five pounds.

10. kris90

kris90 New Member

Nice! I find my calorie consumption has increased, but I just love food lol! Funny thing is I maintain a leaner body while eating more calories. I'm doing a lot of CT, and my hunger has decreased, but I eat calorically dense and often force-feed myself.

Christine_L likes this.
  11. KalosKaiAgathos

Great! Looking forward to seeing how I respond to that process as well in the future! :)

12. The monster rats in NYC.... lol

13. Saichi

Saichi New Member

Most of the monster sizes have lost habitat due to relentless development. My chinatown NYU dorm was next to "rat alley" which was built over about 12 years ago. Maybe the only thing I don't miss.

14. Or maybe theyre dying off due to 5G...

15. 20190531_165809.jpg or my cat. We named him Django cause he such a stone cold killer. Maybe we'll start calling him 5G!

Ed Pomicter likes this.
  16. What the heck is that?! A Fish head? I thought it was a picture of your cat and then I clicked it....

:eek: :eek:

17. Rat head!
    Makes me question head to tail eating. Shouldnt the brain and eyes be th e most nutrient dense? Maybe he saves th e best for me

drezy and Christine_L like this.
  18. Ed Pomicter

Ed Pomicter New Member

Our cats eat everything but the gallbladder...they leave that as a trophy for us:thumbsup:

Marko Pollo likes this.
  19. @Marko Pollo yes I think we should be eating the whole animal.

2 reasons make me believe so,

1st - my friend's Indian dad purposefully loves to eat the eyeballs and brains of any fish/lamb/goat and said its the best part, so why not?

2nd - whenever I read about primal/raw/natural foods for dogs they stress the importance of giving the animal the whole body, even the fur! So, if its good enough for my dog, I think that it should be good enough for me. Though I dont know how about the fur part.

20. Katie Durham

Katie Durham New Member

For a carnivorous animal, fur and feathers are roughage.