1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

UV Light and Stargardt's

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by SatoriHeart, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Jack, what are your thoughts on the relationship of full spectrum sunlight to Stargardt's disease? I've been giving a lot of thought these days to various ailments of the eyes, and I'm intrigued by their effects on neuroendocrine function, among other things.

The accepted etiology of Stargardt's is a defective ABCA4 gene, which is produced in the retina's photoreceptors. This defect allegedly leads to toxicity due to lower levels of N-retinylidene-PE, which "mops up" toxic substances produced by phototransduction. As a result, lipofuscin builds up in the RPE, and the rods and cones deteriorate. Brain lipofuscin, anecdotally, can be cleared using agents such as Centrophenoxine (a DMAE derivative). As far as I know, oral intake does not reach the RPE, where the problem resides... So we have to look for other options.

More and more, you are saying that disease is less about the presence of SNPs, and more about mitochondrial health. I wonder how we can look at Stargardt's from a different angle (the mito-angle) to better understand ways to prevent or even reverse it.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

80-85% of disease is mitochondrial based. 15% is genetic.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This disease still effects the weak covalent bond between retinol and any opsin in the eye. There are many other genes associated with variants of this juvenile macular/RPE eye disease. Ophthalmologists still recommend wearing sunglasses and hats outdoors and blue-light blocking glasses when exposed to artificial light sources with this disease because of the Vitamin defect. Tobacco smoke and second-hand smoke should be avoided because they induce mitochondrial pseudohypoxia. Animal studies also show that high doses of vitamin A can be detrimental by building up more lipofuscin toxin. We don't know if that is true in humans but I am not a supplement Vitamin A guy. Dietary non-supplemental vitamin A intake may not further the disease progression. There are 3 separate types of vitamin A's out there too.
    Brent Patrick likes this.
  6. Therapeutically I would consider adding high dose carotenoids, like zeaxanthin, leutin and especially astaxanthin (about 20 mg). Additionally would get regular doses of red 630-660 nm and near infrared at 810-850 nm at an energy density of about 10-20 milliwats per square centimeter for about 10 minutes twice a day.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Silver

Wonder what energy intensity delivers:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4JE9U6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    RubyLux Infrared Bulb NIR-A Near Infrared Individual Bulb
    in description it have
    Intense 250W Incandescent Near Infrared Bulb 850nm Strength
    anyhow, it shines at my bare back when I sit.
    --------
    Love those
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01544PUJ2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    RubyLux ALL RED LED 640 to 660nm
    had a sore joint in my left hand, after few hours of holding this bulb in my hand, pain is gone.

SatoriHeart likes this.
  8. I have two of the RubyLux Infrared Bulb NIR-A bulbs. They are mounted on photography tripods with adjustable necks so I can control height. I stopped using them when the temperatures in Austin started going up (favoring sun exposure instead), but I believe they had a very strong effect in maintaining gut integrity, especially keeping pathogenic microbiota, such as viruses, in check.

I have an infrared LED array, 850nm that I have used sporadically both transcranially and on the thyroid. I can attest that it is a powerful mitochondrial stimulator. It noticeably decreases brain inflammation / fog and sharpens cognition. As for the thyroid, it can be overly stimulating. Anything more than 1 minute can easily cross over into hyperthyroid territory.
  9. The Ruby Red is an excellent incandescent bulb but only 10% of the energy comes out as near IR and far less in the theraputic range of low 800s.. It is ideal for a sauna not photobiomodulation. Far better to use LEDs in the ranges I quoted as you will not generate too much heat. You can easily pick up LED IR security flood lights for under $70 on Amazon that are less than ideal at 850 nm but they are good enough.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Silver

@Dr. Mercola
    Is this a good choice?
    8.00Watts

Night Vision Infrared Flood Light Built-in 96-LED For CCTV Camcorders, Digital Cameras, White
    https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Infrared-Camcorders-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00MWTXZ1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488125289&sr=8-1&keywords=Night Vision Infrared Flood Light

$16.99 + Free Shipping

[​IMG]
    ------------------------
    DC Power Adaptor 12 V DC 2.1MM
    https://www.amazon.com/DC-Power-Ada...rd_wg=MIPrs&psc=1&refRID=R2R4AM1Q6E1VYZ782XV8

Price: $5.99

[​IMG]
  11. That will work. I personally use this one. https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488125922&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=infrared flood light built

Just need to know that there is a photoelectric diode that is green that turns it off during the day so you need to cover it with electrical tape so it works in the daytime. Can also remove the lens cover with an allen wrench
    JanSz and Charles Marshall like this.
  12. This is exactly the kind I use. I can attest to its efficacy. As Dr. Mercola indicated, you must cover the activating diode with tape in order for the lights to stay on consistently. Any opaque tape will do. I also removed the glass cover in order to get the LEDs closer to the skin / scalp.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    JanSz likes this.
  13. JanSz

JanSz Silver

14. JanSz

JanSz Silver

15. JanSz

JanSz Silver

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  16. JanSz

JanSz Silver

@Dr. Mercola
    Thank you for the source of 810-850 nm.
    Would you mind giving good source for 630-660 nm

17. shiran

shiran Curious

https://www.facebook.com/drjackkruse/posts/1891020774295601

I would be happy to understand some things regarding Jacks post above.

If I live in the 32 latitude with good amounts of sun exposure , will I need a LED light source in winter?

How do I know my sulfation is good can I check it?

If someone is getting lots of sun and the his vitamin D level won't raise up ? Would a LED treatment help?

Would be happy for a recommendation for a LED light ?
    Thanks
  18. Sajid Mahmood

Sajid Mahmood New Member

Is the Joovv or Clearlight full spectrum saunas any good?