1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Using conventional meat

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by BeingVenus, Apr 16, 2012.

1. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

My lovely and cherished spouse is getting very irritated with our grocery bill. Could I replace, say, a third of our grassfed beef with antibiotic free conventional to bring the grocery bill down a bit until I'm done with LR and can eat a little less? It was easy to eat all grassfed/wild when we ate "safe starches" for budget stretching but it's difficult with me staying home with the baby right now. What say you? I already incorporate inexpensive offal cuts, ground beef and tough roasts so this all I can think to do. what would be better? Conventional beef or organic skinless dark meat chicken?

2. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Chicken can be high in omega 6 so I generally eat it sparingly. Conventional beef is better than no beef at all.

3. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

How does he feel about your medical bill?

4. Kpcst

Kpcst Silver

If you plan on eating beef that isn't "grassfed" , then you should by the leaner varieties available and use another fat to cook it in, such as grassfed butter etc..

5. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Beef (lean) all the way and add good fats.

I'm still waiting for my cow.... Do you buy at store, or did you get a deep freeze and order a side or quarter of beef? I've found that's the most affordable way to go, and lots of producers will ship it if they aren't near enough to you that you could drive to pick it up!

I'm going to start with a couple lbs from a producer to check quality, then order a 1/4, then a 1/2 next time, to keep fully stocked!

6. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

We don't have any medical issues so besides insurance and annual physicals we don't really have any medical bills. Haven't had a cold that lasted more than 24 hours in 2 years.

7. BeingVenus

BeingVenus New Member

We live in a small apartment in down town providence. I buy what I can from local producers and whole foods but it's not cheap. Like I said, we buy grassfed but the extra

Protein needed to do leptin reset is really jacking the grocery bill up. I'll add some

Lean conventional and try to pad with more offal and eggs where I can.

8. shilohman

shilohman New Member

I would think the big problem with conventional meat is the excess of omega 6. You should be able to buy conventional meat with no

added hormones/antibiotics. Guess some krill oil supplementation is in store. The only problem is without getting your 6/3 ratio tested

you'll have no idea how much to supplement.