1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

using a laptop inside an aluminum camper - antenna ideas?

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by Cpt.Tired, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Has anyone had experience hooking up some kind of remote external antenna to their laptop to reduce exposure to the computer signal? I don't want to get microwaved while using my laptop in my camper!
    I know that you can purchase external antennas for laptops but do they turn off the transmission from the internal antenna when they are hooked up? If they don't then they would be useless for reducing exposure.
    I'm sure others have run into this problem.

2. Michalis

Michalis New Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Phosphene, Cpt.Tired and drezy like this.
  3. drezy

drezy Gold

Put in an inline usb optoisolator for extra credit.

Cpt.Tired and Michalis like this.
  4. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Awesome! Thanks guys!

5. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

would this work with a regular PC tower as well?

6. drezy

drezy Gold

If it had USB and an appropriate driver installed.

You could also run ethernet cable from a remote location. CAT 6 ethernet cable is rated for 330feet.

Phosphene likes this.
  7. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

8. drezy

drezy Gold

What I don't like about it is the

"DC to DC converter" inside of it I'd rather see it battery powered. I found no such product at this point.

Also it goes up to "Full Speed"
    "up to Full Speed 12Mbps"
    That's fine for mice and keyboards. Other devices would need to be checked.

Could it make the environment cleaner? Yes, but measuring would be needed to ensure.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  9. Forest

Forest New Member

Isn’t there an alarm if this goes wrong

10. Michalis

Michalis New Member

11. drezy

drezy Gold

I see no reason it can't be hacked unless it's totally encased in plastic. Not that there won't be an ugly end in a box outside, but hey. You'd want to choose a passive voltage regulator. Depending on your location you're panel might jam emf right down your power line though. So maybe 2 batteries so you charge one while using the other disconnected one.

Michalis likes this.