1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Use your mind

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Birdy, May 15, 2012.

1. Birdy

Birdy New Member

reading about people who can start warming themselves up before actually getting in the water intrigues me. While I have never done official biofeedback, I have been able to change a few things at will, such as blood pressure, blood flow and pulse rate. Don't have any water? Can you just think your way to thermogenesis? Is there any literature out there on this, and/or have you tried it?

2. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

And, should you try to concentrate/visualize that your body is freezing cold - so it will warm itself up? or should you imagine your furnace taking off and generating heat?

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

It's a habituated response. Your nervous system and brain will do this for you if trained correctly.

The moment you hit the cold water your body reacts with turning on the furnace. Pair this moment with an unconditioned stimulus of your choice for a few times the moment you enter the cold (could be a mental image if you've got enough control of your mind for this or an actual stimulus... ring a bell, knead a stress ball, look at a particular picture... pick something that you don't encounter too often in daily life when it isn't followed by cold).

Within a few trials of pairing CS with UCS, your body should react with warming up to just the new stimulus (the mental image, the kneading of a stress ball, ...).

Happy classical conditioning. Works with dogs, too :cool:

4. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

Ha, I have been playing the same CD for my CT sessions for two months now... Rod Stewart The Great American Songbook V. One. I should play it without going into the tub one day to see if my body fires up. Well, just thinking of it gets my heart pumping now... so it's working. :D

5. janagram

janagram New Member

just google Tummo fire.....ancient Tibetan yoga. They could sit in snow and dry off wet sheets on their chests.

6. Birdy

Birdy New Member

visualize my furnace taking off and generating heat. I can do it with my hands, but not for very long

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

it appears my body has gotten accustomed to the time of day I usually hit the tub... if I don't I start to get way too hot

8. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

This is an interesting thread as it somewhat captures something I've wondered about. I was surprised when I was able to sit in a bath of 55 degree water for over an hour the first time I tried CT with no problems--no shivering during or after. After a couple of times at 55 degrees, I got the water down to 50 degrees--again no problem. While I'm CTg, I'm always looking outside; so, my eyes are observing a hot & sunny environment. I believe the visual of "hot & sunny" is contributing to my ability to tolerate the cold bath so well. Although, I wonder if the "hot & sunny" visual could block the full potential of biochemical changes we are aiming for by CTg. Thoughts?

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Nice. I doubt it hurts since your body still goes through the same biological changes to warm you up.

Looking for a nice picture to place right where I look while I'm in the tub....

10. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

Souldanzer, yes, the "visual" seems to work quite well as it's hard to think one is going to get too cold as you are looking out towards beautiful green trees and mountains and sunshine. My roommate doesn't much like the fact that I keep removing the shower doors, but who wants a claustrophobic CT session when with a little tweaking of your bathroom and maybe your mind, you can be enjoying a cool bath out in nature?!