1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by MattD1995, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

Dr Kruse,

I was just recently diagnosed with Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome and mild sleep apnea based on a sleep study. I’m very lean and fit. My mom, uncle, and grandfather all have sleep apnea as well. The sleep doctor told me that I’ve probably had breathing problems my entire life due to my small jaw and large tongue. As a child, I had tongue thrust, crooked teeth, bed-wetting until 10, and a host of other issues that are often linked with breathing problems.

My sleep doctor is pushing me to move forward with getting an oral device for sleep that will bring my lower jaw forward and open up my airway.

Is there any reason why I should not move forward with getting this oral device? I’ve seen you mention in previous posts that apnea and breathing issues are a sign of mitochondria issues. However, considering I do have structural issues (a large tongue and small jaw), would it be beneficial in my case to get this device? I’m currently getting sunlight, doing CT, eating seafood, and drink unfluoridated water and still have issues with fatigue, joint pain, and many other problems. It seems to me that improving my ability to breathe while asleep will massively improve every aspect of my health. I’ve been reading a lot of Dr Weston Price’s work, and he links breathing issues with poor facial/jaw structure due to lack of certain minerals/vitamins as a child.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on whether I should move forward with the oral appliance. Thanks!