1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Understanding of Ketosis lacking

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Raiken3712, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

So I had a bread stick and ....a piece of one and probably like four Kiwis today. I'm guessing that's enough to stop Ketosis? Does it screw up my Ketoadaption as well? Will I have to go below 20 g carbohydrates for 2 weeks to regain?

I wouldn't think something that takes 2 weeks to happen would be gone that fast...but...not sure how it works. I've probably read the answer before but I don't remember.

How much do you have to eat to stop Ketosis and/or Keto Adapation and is it the same amount of time to get back to that point every time? I'm guessing not...

Maybe one of these days I won't even feel like eating bread...but I still do sometimes at the moment. Sigh. I'm not too worried about it...I plan on eating well tomorrow just curious.

Thanks

2. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Well I had some desserts...dang. I really don't feel for them...just had them at a function. Don't know if this helps, but I ate enormous amounts of Bubbies pickles (live cultures). It made my bowels flow, so hoping it was a quick detox of crap I put in my body. I had my usual seafood fare today as well...so hopefully it's not a 'all or none' situation.

I know Jack would not approve at all, and would imply that I have totally ruined things...that my choice was 'mediocre'. I am aware of the choice I made and try to live with it as best as possible. I am still interested in longevity.

It's such a fine line between Optimal and 'mediocre' and trying to 'make life work'. You know the life situations where you just feel compelled to to 'join in'. I try not to make excuses, and if it happens well then I just deal with it. I can't beat myself up, yet I can't let myself be mediocre either...fine line.

Overall the protocols of Dr. K are really helpful and I'm very very grateful for them! Many health problems are totally reversing for me, and not just that, but ultra health is increasing too.

This does not answer your question directly...but just thought I'd say some words in regards to some possible thoughts you might have swirling around your head regarding this whole life style as is the case with me. (But does get way easier with time...since February).

3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I believe your bread stick stopped ketosis for sure. How long it takes to get back in is very individual. Some people need to be very strick, some not as much.

I did not have any grains since last October. It took a lot for me to stop eating them. I never want to go through that again.

You can do it! Good luck!

4. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

The important thing about these cheats, or slip-ups (someone passed you a piece of cake at a party and before you knew it, it was gone) is that the very next time you eat, make it epi-Paleo.

Years of poor eating will take months, even years, to unravel. Just as, I believe, years of eating epi-Paleo will not unravel by one poor choice.

I was always of the "screw it, I already blew it" mindset: I'd indulge in one donut at the office, and the rest of the day would be "shot". Might as well stuff in all the garbage I can, I blew it at 8:00 a.m. These days, one slip-up leads me to, the very next time I eat (and not till I'm hungry!!!), epi-Paleo: a plate of shrimp, some CO, etc.

The thing I've found is that I can actually stop and THINK before I eat that poor choice, wherease prior to epi-Paleo, it would stay on my mind. Like, my brain now says, "No", and my body actually listens. So the desire to even eat those poor choices exists less and less.

5. shilohman

shilohman New Member

6. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

Screw it I already blew it mindset is what got me from 241 back up to 277...If I hadn't done that I would be well on my way to 200....at least I'm back in the 240s. Oh well best not to dwell on the past must look to the future and try my best not to do the same.

7. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

That was freakin Hilarious.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. MonteD

MonteD New Member

I remember seeing that on MADTV...oh the golden age of T.V.....

9. enyaw

enyaw Gold

I may be wrong, but doesn't any amount of carbs end ketosis? The amount of carbs just determines how long until you return to ketosis?

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

everyone's mileage varies there Moose.

11. cramernh

cramernh New Member

I know of a patient right now who easily hits ketosis with 40g of healthier versions of CHO. I also have another patient who is about 25g and is lighting up medium-purple easily. We also have others who are 20g and are only hitting the 'trace' but we think it also has alot to do with the fact that they are water-crazy as well... they may have a false-low result because of the large amounts of water they consume.

Everyone will definitely be different.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

it has to do with their liver circadian clocks.........

13. Raiken3712

Raiken3712 Jonathan/Jon

Its more expensive and not as convenient but that is one advantage to blood ketones which Jimmy Moore is using in his nutritional ketosis experiment.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-1-30/14409

A blood Ketone Meter that is....