1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Understanding Black Light

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Jason Prall, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Please help me to choose a daylight hacking bulb to my home office! These are the only "reptile" sun imitating bulbs available over here. All made by Exo Terra. I was first considering Solar Glo, but it seems it has a spike of blue light somewhere. The UVB bulbs has a spike of green and yellow but not blue... I guess that would be better right?
    [​IMG]

Another option I thought would be the Natural Light ION
    [​IMG] + some regular black light UV bulb, but not sure about the wavelength of those. This one is deficient in UVB. However this one said to be killing mold spores, so it might be a good option for the bathroom (we only use the main light during the day, and use only the Himalayan salt lamp for the night time shower)

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

As for blacklight UV, we have these available:

75W, E27
    [​IMG]

R80 13 W E-27, Omnilux8950400313 W, wavelength 364nm
    [​IMG]

and some energy saving version
    [​IMG]

3. nicld

nicld Gold

My N=1 is that I have the UVB200 at work (I work in an office with no windows). I do shut it off around 3:30 – 4 pm when the sun would normally start setting. I have a UVB150 and a Solar Glo in my basement that I use on the weekends when I am downstairs sewing but these are on only when the sun would be out and they do go off when the sun’s UVB would start to diminish as well. If I am still sewing later in the day, I use only a black light and orange.

I have the third black light upstairs and use it in the evenings but never when I am sleeping. I try to get as much real sun as I can. Just had my vitamin D levels tested as well as my hsCRP and will be retesting in abut 4-5 months. I am not expecting the lights to raise my Vitamin D levels since it is winter where I live and the levels would normally drop. Also flying out to a sunny location in 2 weeks and plan on spending as much time outside as I can to harvest natural UVB.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

About light spikes.
    That is one of the reasons that sun is always better.
    The chart you posted on vertical coordinate have
    Relative Spectral Power (%)
    I do not know
    how to convert it to μW/cm^2
    for those units I have value to compare with (somewhat).
    From this chart:
    https://fluxometer.com/rainbow/#!id=Outdoors/10AM LA sunny
    Los Angeles Latitude 34.0500° N sunny day in LA 10AM
    have top light density at 152 μW/cm^2

As long as the spike does not go over what one can have on Equator, then we have not much choice but to accept it (and keep looking for better choice).

5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Daniel
    Short answer.
    I use only two types of light bulbs.
    1. Full spectrum light, Exo Terra Solar Glow 160W (day light)
    2. RubyLux ALL RED High Intensity LED Bulb 640 to 660nm (night light)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Longer answer.
    Initially I bought number of different light bulbs.
    Variety of black ligts
    Variety of Exo Terra UV lights
    Variety of red lights

Tried black lights at day time or night when not sleeping, ok
    Tried black light during sleep, bothers me.
    I see too many lights, each dedicated for specific function.

Naturally we evolved at equator with just one sun.
    For me important when trying to replicate natural sunlight condition is:
    1. timing
    2. frequency content
    3. intensity of light
    4. there are practically no seasons at equator
    5. I lived full year real close to equator, short (all 12hr) days bother me, otherwise love it
    6. light intensity at equator is likely as high as I ever want to replicate
    specialty light that produces super high vit D under 5 min/day exposure, seems unnatural.
    Yes, it saves time, may be good to get over the hump,
    but I do not see it as desirable for long term use.
    7. keep in mind that animals on equator (or other places) seek shade when they feel need for it
    8. The Exo Terra Solar Glow 160W is supposed to shine only on part of the terrarium (basking spot). When lizard got enough basking he will see other cooler more in the shade place.
    ------
    Taking above under consideration
    I use my natural sunlight to the practical max
    I divide my 24hr day as follows
    day=14 hrs
    night=10 hrs

I have two Exo Terra Solar Glow 160W on for the first 12hrs then only one for remaining 2 hrs
    Night time starts with RubyLux ALL RED for two hrs then total darkness for remaining 8hrs
    -------------
    I do not have information on light intensity at equator (please help).
    From this chart:
    https://fluxometer.com/rainbow/#!id=Outdoors/10AM LA sunny
    Los Angeles Latitude 34.0500° N
    Note that chart for sunny day in LA 10AM have top light density at 152 μW/cm^2
    LA is rather far up north when good light is concerned.

------------
    Read about lights used in dr Jack Kruse residence.
    https://www.jackkruse.com/physician-guest-blog-2-the-invisible-sun-and-purple-light/

6. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Thanks guys... seems like Solar Glo is the closest to sunlight possible.

@JanSz for sleeping, I didn't plan to use any lights. I tried to make complete darkness, but my problem is that I have no idea when is morning. So it's either the orange streetlights at night or complete darkness until the alarm rings. I still wake up around 6am, but I'm like "is it morning yet? should I roll around or get up?" I will probably try one of those sunrise imitating alarm clocks.

@nicld mixing Solar Glo and UVB sounds good. I guess it would be too crazy to use black light during the day :D

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I go with
    alarm clock + complete darkness.
    Alarm clock without any lights or low level red light.

Daniel and nicld like this.
  8. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Thank you Dr. Kruse! The headache I experienced went away in less than an hour. I did get some discharges from the eyes immediately after the 15 min exposure. My vision this morning is the best it's been since I started sunning in the a.m. I actually feel highly charged also. I woke up about 1/2 hour earlier than normal (or the 'new' normal). The 'heat' effect I felt during exposure is still hanging around. I was able to do cold air CT this morning in just underwear. I will definitely use more UV judiciously, as it seems to have a significant effect on me immediately.

A thought occurred to me, is the internal heat phenomenon I am experiencing an indication of inflammation and/or leaking of IR? If so, will further intense UV treatments help? Thank you.

Thank you for the link, JanSz. I enjoyed reading it immensely!! I have pretty good light where I live, so I don't need to play around with full spectrum for now (we have a South/East exposure, great for winters). I haven't fine tuned my day/night cycle like you have, as I am still learning and adapting. Thank you for sharing what you are doing. Really appreciate it.

9. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I use my iPhone. Leave it outside in the hall, turn it into airplane mode, sound up, so I can hear it in the morning when I gotta wake up.

Cpt.Tired and lohd2015 like this.
  10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

@Jack Kruse
    will likely reply with better answer, but the short I recall is

UV-A improves thyroid work ---->internal heat phenomenon
    UV-B improves vit D

/

nicld, seanb4 and lohd2015 like this.
  11. melrito

melrito Gold

I am a bit confused about one issue with black lights. I have a black light that emits light at 365nm and it is labeled as a BLB black light. The light has a dim violet glow when it's on, which I understand is normal for a black light, however I want to be sure I'm not damaging myself by using this light at night. Does anyone have any more information about this? I am trying to understand how it can have any glow at all (aside from the typical black light fluorescence when reflecting on white, for example) when it's emitting only up to 365nm, which is firmly in the UVA range.

12. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Ultraviolet A UVA 315–400
    Ultraviolet B UVB 280–315
    Ultraviolet C UVC 100–280

365nm ------ that is just one frequency and it is in UV-A range.

Single frequency light is usually made for some unique purpose.
    --------
    I have made summary here, maybe of some help. post #568

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-29#post-183869

Read also #570 on that thread.

13. melrito

melrito Gold

Thanks JanSz!

JanSz likes this.
  14. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

Are UV bulbs best used at night? It would seem counter intuitive considering you wouldn't get any natural UV but i guess it wouldn't disrupt melatonin signaling, either. Im confused as to when black light bulbs are preferable

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I think of UV-B light as the most flexible light, so it can be used throughout waking hours.
    Problem with black light bulbs is that they may overlap little of blue light.

Possibly not enough to interfere during waking hours but it made me feel uneasy when I tried it during sleep.

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  16. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

Aren't black lights UVA?

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

18. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

I am really enjoying and getting addicted to my black light (365nm). I even went on a one week road trip with it recently. The first thing I do when I get into a hotel is to replace the bedside light with my black light, and turn off all the other lights.
    My sleep quality is great, and I am energized by the UVA, especially on days without much sun exposure. I bought 4 more to put around the apartment.
    Thank you all for your great input. Happy New Year!

19. Aerose91

Aerose91 New Member

Im having serious trouble with cfl bulbs, im assuming due to mercury. I get weezy, lightheaded and a headache almost immediatly. Would one benefit from taking a couple blacklight led's and placing them under a bracelet, like a poor mans quantlet? I know led's arent perfect but i cant think of another way to get extra UV.
    Since it's UVA and up against the skin it may penetrate deep enough? I know the same could be done for red but im primarily interested in supplemental UV since black and reptile lights screw me up.

seanb4 likes this.
  20. JanSz

JanSz Gold

There is EXO TERA Sunlamp. It is halogen lamp, no mercury.

LED lamps may be ok too (theoretically), practically I doubt.
    LED's are narrow band.
    Black light=UVA+UVB
    UVA---->thyroid
    UVB---->vit D

Crew in Chicago restaurant was exposed to Black light=UVA+UVB
    Good idea to find out what frequencies quantlet uses.
    I do not remember them being posted.

seanb4 likes this.