1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Understanding Black Light

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Jason Prall, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Jason Prall

Jason Prall Health Engineer

From what I can tell, there is a lot of confusion and assumptions that are occurring regarding the UV (black) light hacks as of late. I'm hoping we can start to clear that up in this thread.

As I understand it, the ideal spectrum to hack is 290-390 nm light (UVA + UVB) that is missing from virtually all indoor lighting. While old Edison style incandescent bulbs do contain a small portion of their light in the <400 nm spectrum, they primarily give off light in the yellow, orange, red, IR spectrum. Not good, but better than CFL and LED.

Standard CFLs (which give off x-ray light) do not emit UV light at all. Not good.

Standard LED lights are becoming more white and give off mostly yellow, orange, red with a spike in the blue spectrum. Not good.

What I'm wondering is what type of bulb is optimal to supplement an office space during the day. It seems UV LED would be as it is absent of x-ray EMF. As I understand, incandescent black lights do not produce sufficient UV light.

As such, I'm considering this LED black light that sits at the 365 nm range. This would be entirely in the UVA spectrum (320 nm - 400 nm) and absent of UVB (290-320). I don't want to play with light at night until I am more comfortable in my understanding of this topic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ack light&qid=1444697044&ref_=sr_1_14&sr=8-14

Any thoughts? Is there a better option out there for the A19 bulbs (standard screw-in type)?

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

we'll clear it up on a webinar. Decided that yesterday.

Martin, LBK, cinnamon and 2 others like this.
  3. Jason Prall

Jason Prall Health Engineer

Ok great. Appreciate that. Any chance you can give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on the light bulb in the link above?

LBK likes this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

365 nm LED would give you a 20 nm spread either way..........an incandescent with a indigo/violet polyethylene filter would be best but much harder to find.

jwhb77 and LBK like this.
  5. Joseph Thia

Joseph Thia Aspiring Mitochondriac

I am only able to find blacklight blue tubes in Singapore. The one that I have is an 8W from sankyo-denki and I am using it at my office desk. I am wondering what wattage should I get (i.e. is 8W enough?) and if there is any safety distance that I should keep it away from me (it is about 35 inches away from me)? Many thanks!

Information extracted from http://www.sankyo-denki.co.jp/e2_06.html

[​IMG][​IMG]
    These lamps effciently emit near ultraviolet rays at 315nm- 400nm which have strong photochemical and fluorescent effects.
    They are special deep blue filter glass which absorbs visible rays and transmits near ultraviolet rays and two types ofphosphor are used with radiation peak at 352nm and 368nm, respectively.
    They are used for tests, inspections, examinations, and investigations in various fields, as well as for stage illumination in theaters and nightclubs, advertisements and sign boards.

David Limacher likes this.
  6. LBK

LBK Silver

Following your thread. The ones you linked are the ones my husband bought.

7. Butters

Butters New Member

8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

It is a full spectrum light. It depends on what you think that you need.

9. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I think this light bulb thing is still not clear... at least not for me. Can we have a light hack 101 for dummies version from someone who gets it all right?

10. Butters

Butters New Member

Should one don't wear contacts or glasses and be undressed for maximum effects of the black light bulb?

Dean6789 likes this.
  11. Inger

Inger Silver

Alex, I do have as little clothes as possible when I am in front of my UV bulbs... makes more sense to me :)
    I like my skin to breath too.... when I have clothes on I imagine my skin can breath less? I like oxygen...... it feels good to have the skin exposed to air. And UV

Dean6789 and Cpt.Tired like this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Jason when is the webinar we did on Thanksgiving coming out?

13. JanSz

JanSz Gold

What I'm wondering is what type of bulb is optimal to supplement an office space during the day.
    -------------------------
    My solution.
    Full spectrum light, from UV to visible to IR.
    I keep two lights that are 36" from my shoulders.

EXO-terra Solar Glo 160W

Note, that is lots of power and heat, to much for regular screw in socket.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-21

seanb4 and lohd2015 like this.
  14. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Amazon has a 125-Watt version of this bulb. Would this be okay for a regular screw in socket, JanSz?
    http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Sol...p/B00101JII8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

15. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Same link have 160W version for $2 more.
    Lizard will fit under one light bulb, and be close to the bulb. That makes use of higher intensity.

Humans are larger, light must be farther away. Light intensity drops (very fast) with distance.
    Consult available table on bulb packing.

The general idea is to replicate full spectrum sunlight at equator (but no more).
    Frequencies and intensities.
    Consider distance (light to skin), initial light intensity and exposure time.

When your skin and eyes are currently sun deprived,
    it takes at least a month to accustom gradually to more light.

lohd2015 likes this.
  16. JasonW

JasonW Silver

That bulb has a spike around the 440 nm range. How about this one? http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I have seen that halogen lamp, possibly better.
    But this lamp is for day use. I think I am less afraid of blue during day time.
    The lamp cost less but you need expensive and bulky ballast that is designed for attaching to terrarium tank.
    Also I thought that I be better of with at least two lamps or more.

JasonW likes this.
  18. Alexander Wunsch, whose video you posted recently, recommended this Uv bulb for full UV frequencies

Osram ULTRA VITALUX 300 W

19. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Thank you.
    This lamp is UV lamp.
    I am set for a full spectrum lights. (day use)

UV lamps are designed with UV in mind
    but there is always additional content.
    So, I am not comfortable with using them during my sleep time.
    The published the frequency chart here:
    http://www.svetila.com/product_info...ce=googleUSA&gclid=CODTuvCNvskCFYb2HwodLVwH5Q

20. JasonW

JasonW Silver

Waiting for them to arrive, will be using 2 in an IR sauna. Hope they work ok without the ballast.