1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Underground Container living Thread

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by DLO, Oct 24, 2018.

1. DLO

DLO StarFish

Unless there is already one out there what are people doing with these?
    Are there some ideal prefabs meant for burying?
    I would take it we want insulation?
    How do we waterproof these?
    Back fill depths?

2. Bic

Bic New Member

3. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Wow, bomb-proof bunkers-- shades of the Cold War's fallout shelters. Only today we are sheltering from another form of radiation that is not hypothetical like thermonuclear war-- but is electropollution.

I suspect these custom-built bunkers are financially out of reach of the average person.

DIY options like burying a shipping container (2-3 $K) in the ground might be cheaper. However, you would still have to create a living space inside it and add electrical and plumbing. Those costs add up quickly.

Great things about it--- no outside noise or sounds-- dead silence. Below the worst of nnEMF. Storm, hurricane, and tornado proof. Steady temperature at around 54 degrees F (variable due to factors like depth, type of soil, etc)

Not so great-- pitch black eternally inside without artificial lighting or solar tubes. Ventilation can get complicated, as well dealing with possible ground water/rainwater at that depth. If your access hatch gets covered or tampered with then you are screwed. And so on.

Helio Silva, Sean Waters and drezy like this.
  4. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

If you are planning on a subterranean escape from growing nnEMF onslaught you might want to consider all your options.

Besides the full Monte true underground shelter there are other variations with certain compromises to suit individual tastes.

For example, you could build a Hobbit house:

Or purchase or build an earth contact/earth bermed house or full scale earthship (with or without an earthy green roof).

upload_2018-10-25_12-7-44.png upload_2018-10-25_12-7-44.png

Earth contact homes are a good compromise I think between living like a mole and living topside. If you are concerned about your earth home's above ground exposure to nnEMF you could always mitigate doors and windows with effective shielding materials.

Let your imagination run riot on the possibilities.

5. DLO

DLO StarFish

With shipping containers tho I wonder if there are any toxin tests for god knows what they shipped in there.
    Which I imagine might make it worthwhile to buy brand new rather than to retrofit an old one.

I've always wanted to move out to the boonies and do an earthship but unfortunately with the forest fires past few years it seems like a better option to bury a bunker in town than to move out to the sticks.

Sean Waters and drezy like this.
  6. drezy

drezy Gold

Beware, My Beijing raised bride who I pulled out of Austin TX kicking and screaming now tells me that we have too little acreage and need 16X more. 6X more (max) in my calculations will eventually cut it, but I'm not going to fight it.

Sean Waters and KrusinWitchie like this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

One of my neighbors have a shipping container next to his house.
    Will have to investigate his reasons.

8. DLO

DLO StarFish

Lets just say if i'm going to go acreage it's going to be triple digits. But the forest fires dont bode well.

9. drezy

drezy Gold

If eco-warriors do not allow controlled burns then large fires happen.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  10. drezy

drezy Gold

Plus if you plan with maybe a small oxygen tank, you'll be the first dude out there harvesting the coveted fire morels. Everyone pays $$$ for fire morels.

KrusinWitchie likes this.
  11. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

12. drezy

drezy Gold

13. Here's someone describing the process of building a house from shipping containers in southern California. Not underground, but might contains some useful tips nonetheless.

drezy likes this.