1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

trying to cold Adapt

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by brookway17, Oct 21, 2017.

1. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

I am trying to cold Adapt. My TSH &T4 are normal
    My doctor prescribed timed release T3 because my level was low. In my latest blood test my free T3 level was mid range. My reverse T3 was about 20 ng /dl . Do you think I should be able to cold adapt? I have been doing CT(ice bag on torso protocol) for nine weeks now. Only seeing some minor indications of improvement. My chest sometimes feels warm, my torso does not feel the cold as much in the morning when I'm getting morning sun with my torso exposed. Still waiting for my pilot light to come on. Is it just that it takes longer for us older guys?
  2. JanSz

JanSz Silver

upload_2017-10-21_15-14-35.png

So you are making plenty of T4
    but
    converting it into RT3
    rather than desirable FT3

Why?

upload_2017-10-21_15-19-37.jpeg

Because your
    D3 works overtime
    and
    D2 is lazy.
    Why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deiodinase

Selenium
    Selenium in iodotyrosine deiodinase, as selenocysteine,
    plays a crucial role in determining the free circulating levels of T3.

Selenium deficiency can have implications in fall of T3 levels.
    ========================================

Have you done:
    Spectracell micronutrient Analysis??????

I must have mentioned that need long time ago.
    Likely shortly after your first post.

brookway17 Joined:
    Feb 27, 2017

Add excessive amounts of (the right kind) of Lugols while at it.
    /////////////
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You might want to start with the cold vest then before going all in on the water.
  4. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Jack, I'm sorry I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. I've been doing the 20 pound ice bag on my torso laying in a tub of cold water, your prime CT protocol, for 45 minutes for nine weeks now. I have been considering an ice vest for maintenance once I get cold adapted. How long should I do the cold vest before going back to my original CT method?
    Why should I not continue with the CT protocol I have been following?
  5. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Let me rephrase my original question regarding T3:
    If I am raising my free T3 level using pills will I still be able to cold adapt ? Or does it need to be an endogenous source
  6. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Jan, I have been putting off the Spectracell micronutrient Analysisdue to $$. But now that I suspect a nutrient absorption problem I guess this would show me one I'm not absorbing.
    I eat three Brazil Nutts each day , so you would think my selenium levels would be good
    I am currently taking the Lugols that you recommended, how many drops do you think I should take?
  7. JanSz

JanSz Silver

nutrient absorption problem
    is always open question.
    Regardless if you eat
    shit
    or
    the best Jack's recommended stuff,
    eaten during the most known desirable combination of food stuff, season, latitude, altitude and all other known (and still to come) variables.

8. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Jack, I have followed your CT protocol to a T, starting with the face dunks, holding bags of ice on my chest and now in the cold tub. I just wanted to make sure that my T3 was acceptable for cold adaption
  9. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Because of my difficulties getting sunlight I am considering getting one of those Joovv red/nIR LIGHTS.In hopes that this may lower my inflammation enough to get off some of those drugs I am on.
    Has anyone looked at this light? What do you think.
  10. Hey brookway17, im no expert, but you may want both red and infrared. I have a red 655nm red laser that is tiny but I can feel effects instantly when I shine up nose, ears, carotid on neck, etc.....if I understand correctly it doesnt penetrate as deeply but can have great effects on surface areas rich with vascular tissue.
  11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Brookway I think you can go many ways but before you go spending 2300 bucks on a light try a DYI LED array from Ebay. They are cheap
    drezy likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Add full spectrum red bulbs when you do CT. I cover that in several webinars.

In the red range the sun makes 600nm-3100nm light.

Absorption of photons from IR/NIR at 1538.5 nm increases the probability of proton transfer in water inside a cell.

There are 4 key spectral frequencies between 650–980 nm (NIR) are absorbed by components of cytochrome c oxidase in mitochondria. The stoichiometry and absorption spectra of cytochrome c oxidase components a and a3 has broadened based upon new data. The older footprint spectra that showed peak activity was visible light at 550, 605 and 655nm and near-IR light at 830 nm.
    brookway17, Brent Patrick and drezy like this.
  13. drezy

drezy Gold

I'm doing exactly this for my mom who is recovering from a stroke for inside her IR sauna.
    I modded it to knock down flicker for her too.
    Brent Patrick likes this.
  14. Jude

Jude Gold

Drezy, want to have a go at making this as well. Have a choice of 30W, 50W, 80W. What are you using and how many bulbs?
  15. drezy

drezy Gold

I had this panel from my son's science experiment 2 years ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A6999E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Without knowing at the time we repeated much of what Ott did.

I wasn't all that happy with the flicker/ripple I saw with a higher speed camera (iPhone slo-mo). My mod might be a little over the top or specialized but it's basic electronics and I'm into doing what I can to stay in the long game.

Reducing ripple:

Jack A Lopez here suggests way to hack ripple that are the fundamentals: http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-can-I-reduce-AC-ripple-current-in-a-power-supp/ . Note the first basic step he suggests is to use more capacitance (aka a bigger capacitor)

In the field (or my garage) this is how this actually plays out:
    1. Look online for high value capacitors
    2. Balk at the cost of the one I'd like
    3. Remember that I have an old broken flatscreen TV in my shed for who knows what reason
    4. Open up the TV and scavenge 2 of the biggest capacitors
    5. Slap one across the led panel main supply making sure to get polarity correct
    6. Use the slo-mo camera again and be happy with the results (50 VDC with a 12V ripple down to50V w a 4V ripple is good enough for me for now)
    The left side is the before the right side is the after. Note the fact that the actual board itself seems to be misprinted! Look at the red wire going to the trace marked "-" ! The developer probably made thousands of boards before realizing that their board markings were annoyingly reversed. Also note the 450V on the capacitor is rated for 450V (The whole panel runs at 50V of "DC" converted to DC).
    mod.png
    Lahelada likes this.
  16. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Thanks for all of the replies. Unfortunately I lost track of this thread and didn't see it until today. I already purchased a Joovv light. It has a 60 day trial , it is nicely constructed and has very low EMF. I got the combination read/nearIR Version. I'm not sure if it covers the exact wavelength ranges you mentioned. I need to investigate the Flicker. I will try using my wife's iPhone, I'm not much of a smart phone person, and see what it looks like in slow Mo.
  17. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Drezy , The Flicker rate on the Joovv light is 60 Hz, as would be expected when you drive in LED at line voltage, how bad is this? What type of bulbs do you use? Certainly incandescent based bulbs would not exhibit Flickr due to the thermal character of light. Sounds like they should have driven the LEDs with DC but then again you have to worry about all the magnetics from the Transformers.
  18. drezy

drezy Gold

It's driven with AC line voltage? Not converted DC? I do not know how bad it is. I try to avoid flicker.

@JanSz favorite Exo Terra for my wife when on a computer in her home office. I sit outside and get off the computer once the sun is down (90% of the time). For my mom the images I posted about were rectified AC to "DC" with manual added capacitance to smooth out the ripple pretty significantly.
    Up and down this thread I kinda pointed out ripple vs hard flicker(it starts a few posts prior): https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...results-input-needed.19984/page-2#post-221537. I think ripple is less problematic than hard flicker though.

I feel a bit like a d*ck pointing this ripple stuff out. This was a significant part of my education though and at least included a cool old James Brown video in the thread... Look at that dude's body language! Brookway, Why don't you make it your theme song when your "needle moves" after your CT?
  19. brookway17

brookway17 Silver

Sunday and Tuesday same CT as usual. I have been doing this for 13 weeks now, never expected that I would take this long to cold adapt. We just went through a real cold snap here, it would be nice to get my pilot light lite

I took a slow Mo video of the Joovv light at 240 frames per second. I'm not sure how to post it here, any help would be appreciated. I took it on an iPhone so it's in.mov format
  20. brookway17

brookway17 Silver