1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

trying to avoid getting mirena iud/ and exogenous hormones

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by taiyang, Apr 27, 2018.

1. taiyang

taiyang New Member

I am such a believer in not taking exogenous hormones that i have never been on birth control pills. i have always used condoms. after my 2 children were born i had a tubal ligation. i started having heavy periods around 40. still i avoided the uterine ablation, mirena iud, and bc pills that were recommended to me. not from a doctor, but from the internet (dr weil) i found that women could take Aleve and cut down on their menstrual flow. that has worked for me somewhat for years. now using NSAIDs like aleve to cut down on menstrual flow is mainstream and is mentioned as a possible solution by places like the mayo clinic.

after finding this site and employing some of the ideas, i found my blood sugar was so much better that i lifted the restrictions on myself that had been controlling my tendency to gain a lot of weight on my abdomen. i had been very restrictive since 2009. that meant just about no fruit or rice or any starchy veg. mostly meat and vegetables/nuts (some occasional berries) with occasional low carb crap food like sugar free pudding.

so i actually started eating fruit and rice again. what happened is that since december to now i have had 7 pounds of fat grow on my abdomen. starting in december when my habits changed, my menstrual cycle started to get irregular whereas it had been pretty much on a schedule, even though i was 52 years old. i figured the irregularities had more to do with inevitable menopause than my change in eating. then in april i starting to have such heavy bleeding- it was non stop. i had to take norethindrone pills- aleve no longer worked. i am still taking the pills and will get a mirena iud if i can't find my own way to cut down on the bleeding. no conventional doctor as ever been of any use here. i lied to my ob/gyn and told her i wanted the mirena which she had suggested was the best option since its hormonal effects were localized to the uterus instead of being systemic like the pills.
    actually my plan is to go back to my low carb eating, get out in the sun wearing my tan through swim suit, etc. i have already started back on low carb, but i can't get the amount of sun exposure i want until the end of june due to my work schedule.

i had a transvaginal ultrasound that showed possible adenomyosis. "Though ultrasound cannot definitively diagnose adenomyosis, it can help to rule out other conditions with similar symptoms." i am also getting a uterine biopsy to rule out cancer as a cause of the heavy bleeding. anyway, i am still taking the bc pills as i prefer not to bleed out all over the place. i am hoping losing that estrogen producing 7 lbs of abdominal fat will allow me just to never schedule the mirena insertion. 2 years ago i had one similar incidence of bleeding so heavily that i needed norethindrone. i saw the trigger- it was flonase. i just took the norethindrone for one cycle- then stopped it on my own and was fine- all without any doctor's guidance. i hope i can be successful this time as well. i'll let you know.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    JanSz likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. taiyang

taiyang New Member

Thank you for caring that's a rare thing and I appreciate it.