1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tropical Foods

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Technosmith, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

Hey folks,

If living in Europe (UK) are tropical oils (and fruits) an environmental mismatch during any season or does Jack believe these are OK during the summer when the sun is (supposed to be) out?

Thanks,

Phil

2. drezy

drezy New Member

How do you measure your redox?

3. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

Great question, Phil.

I've listened to a few podcasts where this is talked about but without answering your question specifically - which I have asked myself.

For me, bananas or tropical fruits don't grow in Glasgow ever so I avoid them. However, I did have some coconut yesterday and I'll kill anyone that tells me I can't eat chocolate. Seriously.

Whilst I'm clearly not practicing the mismatch theory in its entirety, I'm opting for the 80/20 rule. Because obviously certain spices like turmeric don't grow here either but it's a good thing to include in the diet.

And yeah, I guess if your redox is good you could tolerate a bit more...

4. shiran

shiran Curious

If I eat a mango that grows here right now in Israel not far away from my location in the same latitude , is it ok ? Or if I had a mango tree in my backyard was right to eat from it ? The real question is : in true nature dose a mango grow in the 31 latitude? Do we really live in our true nature?

5. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Good question. I wonder if we need to know our ancestry or location where we live now or where we were born.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If tropical foods grow in the UK in July sure........that should solve it.

Bonnie and Lahelada like this.
  7. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

Using a black and yellow retractable tape measure?

drezy likes this.
  8. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

I believe my redox is poor at very best!!!!

9. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

Haha, class. Love your sense of humour Mr Kruse.

I think my favourite comment of yours went something like "If you choose to eat a banana in Scotland in the winter, you're an idiot"!

Straight to the point!!

10. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

I don't think it was Scotland :)

11. Technosmith

Technosmith New Member

Haha. Something along those lines.

What's everyone's opinion on this one - is raw food an environmental mismatch in a colder climate?

For example, imagine coming in on a cold winters evening to a dinner of slow cooked lamb with oven baked carrots and onion compared to a fruit salad and/or plate of sushi?

12. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

When I was a raw foodist I don't remember wishing that my food was hot in Winter. The point is that it is totally unnatural to eat salad in winter because aside from some wild greens, it just doesn't grow here.

caroline likes this.
  13. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I watched a food programme recently, not usually interested but it was about the Artic, partly about the drift towards imported food, but how there are people trying to maintain or revive the traditional diet. The show host was invited to a traditional meal, and there was one cooked dish offered, but the majority was raw seafood or sea mammal. I don't do well with just cold raw seafood or meat in the winter if I'm trying to live in the cold lane, and drinking ice cold water while doing CT in winter can take me over the edge ...:eek:.. but I was thinking about their haplotype and lifestyle in general, and the traditional diet's effects on the microbiome, and the mitochondria. Their haplotype and the traditional wearing the skins of arctic mammals that are super efficient at conserving and recycling heat/light could make it possible to survive without needing to obtain heat from the cooking of food, in a area without trees and where oils from sea mammals would be a precious resource. All back to overall context ...?

ScottishEmma likes this.
  14. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

Now thinking if Bananas don't grow in Scotland then perhaps they shouldn't be eaten even in the summer or at all.

SlamSlask and ScottishEmma like this.
  15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

16. Bonnie

Bonnie Gold

Ok. I get it. But what about nuts and Avacodos. They don't grow in Calgary Alberta ever. Does the same rule apply?

Nueng KetoDaddy and ScottishEmma like this.
  17. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

I would say if you can grow it in your region then when in season should be good.
    Avocados may be one of those foods that are just good anytime.
    But if your light is strong, mitochondria and redox good does it really matter?

Nueng KetoDaddy likes this.
  18. Valerie

Valerie New Member

I find it strange that in LA oranges ripen in December and January when we have the least amount of sun.

19. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

Perhaps its the lowering light levels and cooler temperatures that are the signal to hurry up and ripen the fruit. In the UK for tomatoes grown under artificial conditions, they stimulate the completion of the cycle by dropping the temperature right down ...

Nueng KetoDaddy likes this.
  20. Valerie

Valerie New Member

But should we eat high carb fruit (oranges) in December when the UV is at the minimum? I assume this is considered seasonal food