1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Triglycerides really up

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Destiny, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I just got my cholesterol back and my triglycerids are horendoues. I have been on a ketogenic diet - mostly epi-paleo since October 2012. I am also taking Cytomel. I am not sure why my triglycerides went up so much. I am not blaming my diet, I just want to understand this. I went from 142-122 lbs in 4 months. Coudl this be the reason? How should I bring my triglycerides down? Thank you!

The tests from March 2013 and April 2012 were done by the same lab. The ranges are at the end.

Cholesterol - March 2013 – 210 High, April 2012 – 219 High (< 200 mg/dl)
    HDL – March 2013 – 61; April 2012 – 71 (>50)
    Triglycerides – March 2013 – 206 High; April 2012 – 55 (<150 mg/dl)
    LDL – March 2013 – 108 High; April 2012 – 137 High (<100 mg/dl)
    VLDL, Calculated – March 2013 – 41 High; April 2012 – 11 (7-32 mg/dl)

Chol/HDL ratio – March 2013 – 3.4; April 2012 - 3.1 (<5.8)
    LDL/HDL ratio – March 2013 -1.77; April 2012 – 1.93 (:love:.56)

2. shilohman

shilohman New Member

High TG is an indication that your liver is working poorly. High TG and LDL indicates that 1) your lipoprotein lipase LPL is not working well at storing fatty acids into your fat cells 2) your magnesium levels are low 3) CoenzQ10 is low 4) your L-carnitine levels and carnitine shuttle is trashed and 5) D Ribose is low.

3. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Not necessarily ... my last check my Mg was high and so were my trigs. I've been eating a boatload of butter and bacon fat AND taking milk thistle to boot. I've upped my coq10 to 300 mg /day and supplement with acetyl l carnitine AND d ribose. I posted my current numbers over in my journal.

4. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Darleen, I checked your cholesterol results and they are somehow similar to mine including higher triglycerides.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

The question is why my liver function went down. It was a bit better 11 months ago.

6. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Destiny, are you actively losing weight? That can cause high trigs. Should be temporary though.

7. ATL_Paleo

ATL_Paleo Gold

Are you taking any medications? Many meds can stress your liver. As Shilohman said, high TG is a sign of poor liver function. I would suggest researching any meds you are or have taken for potential side effects on your liver.

In my N=1, the combo of T3 and Prometrium caused liver stress for me.

Perhaps a liver detox might help. http://www.vitaminstohealth.com/liver-detoxification.html

8. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Can't say why your liver function went down, but it is obvious you are not in the Pentose Phosphate Pathway (PPP), so I would recommend that you recheck your diet and make sure you are eating VERY high fat, medium protein and low carbs. Also drink as much spring/RO water as you can.

9. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I stopped losing weight two months ago. I am now very stable at 122. Maybe I need more than two months.

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

There might be something to that. I just restarted progesterone. I also take Metformin 1000 mg a day since last September.

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

You are right, that is quite obvious. I need to work on more fat even though I am not really hungry. I am good with protein and very low carb - did not have any fruit not even a lick since last October. I am really very disciplined that way.

I just started with spring water 10 days ago.

12. shilohman

shilohman New Member

From my personal experience, the big difference in my energy level was when I upped my water intake to 90-100 ounces of water a day.
    It was almost like flicking a switch. To figure out what your minimum water intake should be just divide your body weight by 2 and that will
    give you your target. I weigh 180 lbs and had been consuming 60-80 oz. of water. Upping it to 90-100 has made a big difference for me.

13. CarolMorris

CarolMorris New Member

Destiny you must be so frustrated...doing everything you know that is right and not getting the results you expect. I wish I had an answer for you. Hang in there!!

14. Destiny

Destiny New Member

You would think so, Carol, but I am not. I just would like to solve this puzzle. Our systems are so simple when they work and so complex when they don't.

15. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks for sharing this, shilohman! I think I am presently drinking about 50 oz of water. Based on your experience, I need to go for 70 oz of water at least!