1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tried this for the first time

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by healthman, Sep 28, 2013.

1. healthman

healthman Gold

I tried this for the first time, I have been putting my head in ice water for the last few months to build up to the bath.

When I put my head and neck under the whole room was constantly spinning.

Should I have built myself up more gradually?

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

This is meant to be face dunking in ice cold water - not sure what you mean? Maybe re read the C/T easy start guide again?

Please keep reading and asking questions......

3. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Sounds like when I first started adapting and even a cold shower, with water focused on my head, could make me feel dizzy.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is something we spoke about in the deep CT webinar........after your a chronic CTer it becomes easy to do.....but it does take time because it will dramatically increase the current of flow on the surface of your brain.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Oh, outstanding! I must try this. Probably ease into it, dunk the back of my head first...
    I didn't remember that from the webinar. Probably didn't pay attention because I never thought I'd ever want to go lower than 50F. ;-)

6. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I need to do this... right now my goal is to CT all winter long w/o wearing a HAT. :) my other CT goal is to get Chaos and HAvoc in the tank 2-3x/week. right now they get to sing/listen to the muppet show song for as much as they want as long as they're in the tank and upto their shoulders in the water...

7. I do this regularly. At first it was a shocker, but now I can hold my breath with my head completely submerged for a while--at least a minute. I plan on moving up to using my snorkel this winter to extend the time. The experience is strikingly refreshing. I usually do it at the end of a good CT session in the tub. All in all, worth a try but it does take some adaptation.

Q'Rad Randy

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I use the snorkle effect in the ocean in January. I will be doing this over November thanksgiving break at the beach

9. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

My goal is similar....get to the point where my hands and feet don't need so much protection....head dunking would be really amazing. I'm going to work on my internal temps first.

10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I tried it for the first time today. :)
    After my bath the temp was 48F and I decided to just go for it. I dunked from the forehead to that bump on the back of the skull. Stayed there for a minute. All was going well so I stayed longer, but just a few seconds later I started getting a headachy type pain so I bailed. Pain stopped immediately.

Felt pretty good, but no amazing effect. It was easy. I'll definitely try this again, maybe before my bath gets so warm.

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have got to try this........I need to listen to the deep C/T webinar again. Doesn't do much for a girl's hairdo tho :)

12. Danco3636

Danco3636 Silver

When short of time in the morning I do a head dunk in my 45F bath (that I keep going) right after I shave..... (I dry shave with cold water too). Feels good..... dunk hold, breath, dunk and repeat unto I go a little numb......

13. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

I see some freedivers in the making...

14. Hemming

Hemming New Member

That's a pretty good idea. I also had problems in the beginning just holding my breath underwater for 10sec but now it takes much more time for me to get that panic feeling of just wanting to breath again.

15. Hemming

Hemming New Member

Hehe, I still need a lot of work to freedive as you do. But that's not really the point. The point is making progress, regardless of level.

16. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

I think this is why I really like cold showers. I always put my head under the water in the shower! I'm cooling my CSF and making my brain work better! *grin*

By the way, the cold water coming out of my shower is pretty cold - 42 to 45 degrees F, depending on the time of year.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

I was thinking that too ......altho my water isn't as cold as yours .......but it sure hurts my head.......
    How long do you spend in a cold shower Cinnamon?

18. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

I always start with warm water and clean my body and hair first. I like to drink a 500 ml bottle of icy cold spring water while I do the final rinse. It feels great to drink the icy water while warm water is cascading down around me. Then I start turning the temperature down. It takes me 3 or 4 minutes to get the temperature down so it is just the cold water. I find this is not very difficult (though it was much harder when I first started) provided I do the top of my head and my face first, each time I lower the temperature. Once it's really cold, I usually stay in for another 10 to 20 minutes. I like to stay in until my skin starts to turn pink - if there is no one else waiting to get into the bathroom. :D

19. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

Hey, do you think we should rename "ice bag" as "thinking cap"? LOL

business-man-sick-ice-pack-head-6604961.jpg

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

great pic!!.... I saw a magnetic headband the other day was wondering about that........

Do yo do baths as well?