1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Transitioning from spot CT to spot CT with water

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by fireforlunch, Jul 11, 2013.

1. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

30# of ice on my chest for an hour is fairly easy but when i add water even 78 degrees its miserable and i hate it.

I know its not going to be easy, thats just the eay it is but does anyone have any suggestions on how i can successfully acomplish this for the full 30 minites?

It seems like if i start with 15 minutes and try to add a few minutes each time that i will be going backwards from my 60 minutes of ice on my chest and stomach

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Could you try colder water? If the water isn't cold enough, the cold sensation won't be "turned off".
    If you are used to large amounts of ice for an hour, perhaps you need the colder water.

DH was surprised at me when I started to get cold while in a lake a few days ago. I explained to him that the water wasn't cold enough to activate the magic. :)

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

2nd' Nonchalant's recommendation to go colder... I've found my sweetspot for CT is below 50deg. above that and its harder to deal. But I've worked my way up to that level.

Initially, I found when CTing, I responded when the water was below 60. Now it takes more to get in the zone....

4. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

When I first started, I tried face dunks, which I found very hard. I then tried spot CT, which I found even harder.

One bored Saturday, I dumped all the ice from my freezer into the bathtub, added water, took my meat thermometer with me, and just....got in. The temp was in the low
    60's, and I found it actually easy to stay in for 30 mins. The very next day, I used even more ice, got it to the low 50's, and stayed in for close to an hour, which is what I've done ever since. These days, if I don't do it, I miss it.

My vote: Get in the cold tub sooner. Skip all the spot-icing. Take a thermometer and find your sweet spot.

5. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Man that sounds horrific?

I tried that a couple weeks ago but I only got the water down to about 68 degrees and it was terribly hard.

Guess I'll try to make it even colder

6. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

For me, the 60's are harder than the low 50's. And partial body immerision is worse than full body immersion.

When my body is fully immersed at 50 F, it's really relaxing and peaceful.

7. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

okay, I'll give that a shot.

Only problem is that I can't fit my full body in the tub.

If it's up to the top of my shoulders my thighs and knees won't fit in there

8. CTforlife

CTforlife New Member

I'm not entirely sure of your background, but are you really LS and low body fat? It can take longer to adapt said JK in one of the CT posts. If you are really LR and horribly inflamed I really don't see why the temp is an issue? Whats your o3:eek:6 ratio? Like this isn't "hardcore people CT'ing", we can all CT at the optimal 50-55 degrees F temperature to stop inflammation and preserve your charge. We can all tap into the ancient pathway. If you can't fit your whole body I would suggest the places with the most visceral fat, for me that was my torso. Then I got a bigger tub, then starting outdoor CT. I'm pretty damn sure I had some form of raynaud's syndrome in my hands and feet, but I just ate what my brain needed and then CT'ed with full body immersion. Hands in the water, and it was up to my neck, holding my breath for as long as I could at times at my local river mornings sessions. I had a "broken" clock for a while, but CT in harmony with Leptin Rx eating Epi-Paleo is incredible. I don't see why CT isn't as mainstream to "health" organizations, but it is for performance athletes. Also, mind your mitochondria, and CT will pay off even bigger. While CT I always reflected that I was the perfect example of epigenetics. The environment I grew up in was tailored for mediocrity. Why can't kids think clearly nowadays in classrooms? Holy shit 30 damn iphones doing damage faster than we can handle. See we are the ultimate paradox, we have incredibly fast epigenetics, but when an incredibly fast change happens, we adapt only for survival, but unfortunately,( I hate thinking this), we are on the path leading up to an extinction. We are already 7 billion humans deep on this giant rock, and it isn't slowing. CT is your defense against this assault on your biology, and I suggest you use it to your advantage. Sorry I went there, but it needed to be said. Will my kids go to school ? I don't know... I don't want to finish college because of the implications of EMF. The reality is actually pretty damn grim for the masses, but for the individuals who don't accept mediocrity and always seek to be Optimal, CT is your best answer. I hope what I said helps you embrace the cold and what it means.

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The post above makes me smile..........someone is paying deep attn. Never settle for mediocre. Ability is what you’re capable of doing, motivation determines what you do, and attitude determines how well you do it.

10. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

That was a very inspiring post, I'm reading over it a second time.

To answer your questions:

I wouldn't say that I'm really LS and my body fat is around 15%

My HSCRP is .18 though, so I don't really think inflammation is an issue.

Not sure what my omega 3 to 6 ratio is but on my last labs it says that my omega 3 is 14.4% and my omega 6 is 31%

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

That really is a lot of cell phones in a small space. So rough on those young brains. Even most college kids aren't finished myelinating. Guess they will never get properly finished.

12. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

Re: Not fitting your body entirely into your tub. I use my bathtub, which is a standard size, and I can fill it only enough so that when I lay on my back, my entire backside is covered, but my entire front is exposed, out of the water. I read a tip (on here, on this exact topic!) to turn over about halfway through. So now, that's what I do: I turn over and prop on my elbows and finish my CT session getting my frontside all in. Not ideal; I'd love to have a larger tub, but we do what we can. Is that an option for you, somehow turning or moving your body to get the rest exposed during part of the time?

13. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

That's what I do. 20 minutes for the legs, 20 minutes for the back & shoulders, 20 minutes for the tummy, chest & neck (with a face dunk or two). I also try to minimize contact with the bottom of the tub (while on my back and tummy), because it feels distinctly warmer than the water.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  14. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

OMG that's almost exactly what I do! Down to minimizing contact with the tub itself, as I notice when I move my body parts away from the tub, they feel colder. The tub itself is most definitely warmer than the water, so I try to keep my body as much up as possible.

15. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Filled the tub with water and about 40 lbs of ice yesterday and got the temp to what I thought was 50.

Stuck my feet in and for the first 5 seconds wasn't actually that bad.

But the longer they were in there the more it felt like needles until I couldn't take it at 10 minutes.

Found out that my thermometer is about 4 or 5 degrees off.

I will try 55 degrees tomorrow and pray that I won't be such a wuss about this

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think you will find that next time you will be able to stay in twice as long. For me, at least, the adaptation was surprisingly quick. It's hard to believe your body can adapt to such an experience, but it does.

17. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

Thanks for the encouragement.

I will give it a shot later today and I will let you know

18. PrimalPam

PrimalPam Silver

Here's a tip that might help: Don't put your feet or hands in the water at first. See if you can get your body in, while propping your feet and hands (at least toes and fingers) out. It will minimize the needles feeling. Later, when you're more adapted, go ahead and put them in. It took me months to be able to get my feet and hands in.

19. fireforlunch

fireforlunch New Member

PrimalPam, I'm just now seeing your suggestion.

Sounds like a great idea.

But I already did my CT but I am really excited to report that at 56 degrees I just went for it and did 15 minutes up to my waste then 15 minutes laying down with my knees up but feet in the water.

Yesterday's feet in the water must have really helped because it was not nearly as bad.

I have to work tomorrow but I'm really excited to see what it's like on Thursday.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INPUT AND ENCOURAGEMENT.

What seemed nearly impossible has become very possible

20. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

30 minutes wow!!