1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Transformation!

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Starfish Prime, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Starfish Prime

Starfish Prime New Member

OK. So +/- for A1298C; historically severely low in dopamine.

Have several COMT snps also-will compile a list shortly.

More iodine! More seafood...more OYSTERS.

2. Starfish Prime

And now I read that metformin affects cytochrome 1 and increases (If I'm understanding correctly) NAD+, which would mean it mimics ketosis (I think I've read that before?).

So then, does it increase autophagy/mitophagy?

Probably need both Cyclo and met. Hmmm.

3. Starfish Prime

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Don't survive, thrive. Do life soaring. Our cells read and react to our environment; it shapes us and we are shaped by it.
    The six best healers in the world that I know:
    1. Sunlight
    2. Un-fluoridated water
    3. magnetism/grounding to Earth
    4. seafood
    5. Self Confidence
    6. Friends
    That is all...........Carry On.
    http://www.nature.com/articles/srep12029

Here is the key that most of the critics miss..........the order of the recipe is critical to the success. Your perception will be thrown off if you do it other ways. I can think of 3 recent members who went of the rails this way. The last 4 series pointed this point this out but few understand the implications. Neil BB and I have been offline talking about it. Your BUN/creat ratio and ketosis must be started before DHA loading. the blogs have been clear that the exclusion zone inside of cells manifests due to proteins within becoming hydrophilic first. How do you do you make things hydrophilic? You slowly add in electrons. The way to add them is step 4 above. The closer you are to the equator means you have more push from your current (DC) and then you may not need as much........unless there is something peculiar about your environment, job, eyes, skin.

5. BrainWhisperer

BrainWhisperer New Member

((( gratitude )))

Rocky and Starfish Prime like this.
  6. Starfish Prime

Oh my goodness, BW, you are so right.

I can't even imagine where I would be if I hadn't stumbled across Jack's work clear back in the beginning! Just knowing how to increase dopamine reliably has made more difference in my world-and will in that of my kids'!

And to have the information now, when I can stave off the consequences of what I would have otherwise faced...I really do believe I'd have been headed for Parkinsons as I aged...if not more than that.

caroline likes this.
  7. Starfish Prime

dingdingding. I have misunderstood and thought that I needed DHA first in order to capture electrons! Gah.

At least now I know that the BUN/Creat is right; now to hammer seafood and ketosis.

Still want to pursue cycloset for the sake of the increased dopamine. Pretty sure I still need it!

8. Starfish Prime

Well, I think I have confirmed that whey protein is acceptable for me; I had 48 grams in water with 1/4 heavy cream.

At:

3:40 AM (woke up and was curious if early awakening was due to low blood sugar so I tested) 91
    Pre BAB 98
    1/2 hour post BAB 103
    1 1/2 hours post BAB 91
    2 hous post BAB 87

A spike of 5 points? Obviously not a truly accurate curve as I missed the test inbetween 1/2 and 1 1/2; but much better than expected, unless there is a truly dramatic spike between 30 and 90 minutes. Will check again tomorrow and be sure to get all 5 data points.

So high insulin and high FBG; is that all? I don't see inflammation anywhere; Just ordered hormone testing to see where the hiccup is on the pg/E end.

9. Starfish Prime

10. Starfish Prime

Been a few days. Been keeping track of blood sugar levels, and oddly enough they are right on the money. Even my in-a-hurry whey shake doesn't jack myBL over 110 for more than 30 minutes. Which is a huge relief bc I really didn't want to have to cut that out...there are days a few times a month when I simply can not get a BAB built and eaten before leaving the house at 7 am.

So what the hell is driving the high insulin?

Other notes: noticing difficulty with word recall lately-tip-of-the-tongue syndrome. I NEVER have trouble with that.

PMS is flaring-since sunday I've been in a funk. Pissed off at the world for existing and I'm pissed at the situation I'm in, pissed at having to do everything by myself and heaven help the single-person-person-with-no-kids who said well I have to do take care of everything too. :mad: I'll get over myself shortly, just on a rant.

UV intake has been on par with the rest of the month, though I'm craving more.

Sleep has been sucking the bag the last few nights-waking up at 0-dark thirty for what feels like a couple hours-I'm not allowing myself to check a clock or get out of bed (in total darkness-can't see my hand in front of my face) in an attempt to kill that habit. Probably cycle related-but?

Weight is up by 5 pounds. :( any gains made earlier by the LR are out the window...though I'm hoping they'll be back with the onset of sharkweek. You men...seriously...you have no idea how lucky you are to have consistent hormone levels day to day to week to week to month etc!

Inflammation is low (0.5 hsCRP), TSH is high-in-range (2.64) and I'm converting T4>t3well; WTF?:confused: I know, leptin/D1-D2 receptors. :rolleyes:

Stumbled across Christi's wellbutrin thread and it reminded me of when I was on WB; Dropped the extra weight in no time and did amazing...140 some to 123 in about 6 weeks. With no dietary changes, at all.

Incidentally, post sun and ten minute walk to and from the house, in full (UV7) sun, sleeveless T, jeans, and no specs: Blood sugar 79. Herring/sardines in mustard sauce for lunch.

More reading to be done, since I can't work, while I'm waiting to change days!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    caroline and fitness@home like this.
  11. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

I am not an expert on the subject, nor do I play one on TV. But my thought about your high insulin has been this:

In Dr. Perlmutter's brain books, he explains that we can have high fasting insulin for YEARS before a test shows up as high FBG. Maybe... If you have been insulin resistant / heading into pre-diabetes for awhile (I don't know?) ... Well, maybe that insulin will take awhile to reverse.

I also still wonder about physiological insulin resistance due to a ketogenic diet. In that case, I don't think there is need to worry. I think it is important to remember that what "they" consider "normal" is generally based on people who are eating a SAD... Not keto.

12. Starfish Prime

Well, it's been awhile, haven't update because there really hasn't been much to mention as of yet. Big decision day came and went and the only info I got was 'we're working on it, you'll know in the next 30 days'. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

Out of my hands and I'm going to keep building my program with or without them, it'll just be a whole lot more profitable with them!

Went back to Geidl, she's afraid of cycloset, not enough data on it, she says, so wants to try Wellbutrin instead. I've taken that before, and tolerated it quite well, cold turkey'd with no issue. It bumps dopamine also, though not at all similarly to C. Eh, not sure yet. haven't decided. Increased D would be a benefit on several levels; might trial it and see what happens.

Did start metformin, and ran 500mg a day M&T, bumped to 1000 yesterday, all is well so far. Went a little higher carb-wise yesterday with my salad than usual, and had a rumbly gut:D but that's as far as it went.

Have been waking up at 11:55 the last couple nights, for a couple hours, which is obnoxious, last night I gave up and had a glass of milk at 1:30 and was instantly tired. Wonder if my BG is dropping lower at night than I'm used to and that's triggering it-if it is I expect it will wear off as my avg drops lower.

Other than that, no news is basically no news.

caroline likes this.
  13. caroline

caroline Moderator

I love that you are realising that your n=1 is different from everyone else's....

Starfish Prime likes this.
  14. Starfish Prime

And still more not-news...still haven't decided about the Wellbutrin.

2 gr metformin/day seems to be tolerable; I'm having some fantastic-and disturbing, on occasion-dreams, which is highly unusual. I rarely have disturbing dreams, but lately they have been beyond the scope of the usual.

Appetite is nonexistant. *Very* difficult to get BAB down this morning-and it was smaller than usual...and as a result I'm starving.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

you last sentence is a big time oxymoron = you got circadian mismatches if its true.

Rocky likes this.
  16. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Ok I think this is a point I had been missing. So.... how did you get your BUN/Creat right, is the question? I can do seafood and ketosis all day long. I only drink unfluoridated water (but I do bathe in flyuoridated water, courtesy of the great state of California) - I get my sunlight....... I also thought without DHA I could not hold electrons??

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man New Member

Could you be more specific about which protocols made your sleep apnea go away? I assume early sunlight and avoiding blue light in the evening and at night has something to do with it.

18. For me, the final factor that clearly made a huge difference, was earthing/grounding. I was very surprised by that, to be honest.
    To which degree other protocols prior to that laid the foundation for grounding to have such a dramatic effect, I am not entirely certain, but I know that Jack has previously pointed to autoimmunity as a cause of sleep apnea. I would imagine that light discipline, an improved circadian rhythm as well as anything that helped to reduce overall inflammation was beneficial.

I wrote a little bit about my n=1 some time ago:
    https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/my-n-1-earthing-for-sleep-apnea.6168/

(Damn, I can hardly believe it's been three years!)

Alex97232, Danny and Rocky like this.
  19. Danny

Danny New Member

Hey Optimalbound! I'm a bit confused by your message. You say that earthing was the final piece to the puzzle, yet it seems you figured that out in your post linked post from 2013. Either way... good for you! Whenever I have to be working in my boots for hours taking them off and putting my bare feet on the ground is heaven. I totally got the message when Jack said that magnetism may even be more primordial than light. 3 years of Jack an you can see the progress. 2 years in and I can totally tell the difference in my health this winter compared to last.

shah78 likes this.
  20. Penny

Penny New Member

I got rid of my tinnitus by just walking on the beach for less than an hour a day...

Alex97232 likes this.