1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Topical Menthol Thermogenesis

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by pthomaslandry@gmail.com, Apr 24, 2012.

1. msclman

msclman New Member

yes, was thinking of doing this before CT. Wonder if they is a synergistic effect

2. jihad4o

jihad4o New Member

anyone thought of buying menthol crystals and mixing them up? The cheapest place to get menthol crystals is EBay so far(search for the one dispatched from the UK in 50/100g bottles). It should be soluble in oils(coconut jumps to mind, but I'm not sure if it'll work) and alcohols(since someone mentioned that ethanol is not suitable because it blocks the cold receptor, the guys from the tobacco forum hinted that we can use propylen glycol with high success). I have ordered the crystals, but we'll have to wait for delivery before I can share more details.

Also in CT-6 I read:

so I guess that menthol can be used instead of cold to drive the adaptation, but we should be careful about its limitations. For example you can't stop it once it is on your skin and your core temperature is probably going up(the body is perceiving cold and creates more heat).

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

One of my educational consultants has been doing this for sometime........after I turned him on to it.

KrusinWitchie and Matty_M like this.
  4. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

One thing to add.....

It doesn't work in hot weather - that much I found.

Menthol enhances the sensitivity - but you still need to be in 75 F or less ambient temperature for it to feel cold.

This is my experience anyway.

5. Matty_M

Matty_M Purple Angel Club

This thread is way old. But better late than never.

Do you guys think there could be any harm from regularly using something like Tiger balm to help relax tense muscles? My inclination says that yoga, stretching, massage, CT, and sunlight are all better approaches, but maybe this is another hack to add.

In other words, what could be the limitations to topically applied menthol? Where were you set a limit before diminishing returns

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Eucalyptus works too FYI

7. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

I would be cautious using Tiger Balm and other similar OTC products from Asia. The main ingredient in these formulas is camphor. The camphor used is usually white camphor (but you never can be sure....) Camphor is rapidly absorbed from the skin and gastrointestinal tract, and toxic effects can occur within minutes of exposure. Chronic ingestion can result in hepatotoxicity and neurotoxicity. And as I always say, don't put anything on your skin unless you can eat it also.

Eucalyptus globulus is analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
    I personally prefer wild-crafted Eucalyptus citriodora from Brazil. It is analgesic, sedative and anti-hypertensive. AND, mosquitoes hate it. :)

In aromatherapy, synergy is very powerful and important. I would combine Eucalyptus with a few other oils. What to use depends totally on your N=1. I'd use either organic jojoba or coconut oil as carrier.

Mystic Rose60 likes this.
  8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Pine oils are important and it is why I live in a pine forest. Most of my members know how fond I am about pine tress in the Gulf South and why I recommend people move tp places with these trees and strong light? Do you want to know why from a quantum perspective? Oxidized terpenes which are found in pine trees have the following properties: They 1. Relaxing smooth muscles 2. Acting as cough preservatives 3. Relieving congestion 4. Acting as anti-inammatory agen 5. tsHaving disinfectant properties (bactericidal)Increasing Here is a biggie......5. HbO2 Increasing O2 arterial partial pressure 6. Increasing O2 tissue diffusion and 7. Increasing the redox system activity in mitochondria of animals. 8. They are water-soluble and can effect cells which are filled with WATER!!!! ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF THE VOLATILE TURPENTINE FRACTION The most volatile components of turpentine are two terpenes: alpha (α) and beta (β) pinenes. They are the dominant odorous compounds emitted by trees, shrubs, and grasses. In the lower troposphere, and depending on the weather conditions at the top of pine trees, these compounds can react with OH° radicals, ozone, NO3 radical and O2. Indeed, the electric field in the canopy atmosphere (at the upper-most level of the pine and spruce forests) is sufcient to produce electric discharges, particularly in stormy weather, or more generally, in wet weather, through which ozone (O3) and hydrogen peroxides (H2O2) are released. Ozone also forms during sunny weather, particularly in the summer and autumn . Reactions in both these conditions result in the generation of aerosols in the ultra particlle form as well as of peroxides (hydrogen peroxides and organic peroxides), carbon monoxide (CO), acid rains (starting from organic acids, of NO3 and SO42-), ozone, or oxidizing radicals, like the OH° radical. These particle forms simulate the Lenard effect we see in waterfalls. https://www.researchgate.net/public...r_volatile_fraction_a-_and_b-pinenes_A_review

9. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Jean Valnet used pine for bronchitis and pulmonary tuberculosis. I believe in the old days, the physicians would send their patients to areas with pine for rehabilitation.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Blood flow is linked to electrical changes in the cerebral circulation. Electric plasma is a form of light energy. The researchers in this paper have no clue what the switch might be and some of us do.........we might have taken advantage of what we know in building things to help people who want to be on the cutting edge of science and not wait for "evidence based Rx's" https://scienmag.com/electrical-swi...rk-monitors-activity-and-controls-blood-flow/

lohd2015 likes this.
  11. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I've got a set of 12 combination aromatherapy mixes. The lung one contains eucalyptus, lavender and pine. The kidney one is atlas cedarwood, Virginia cedarwood, pine, ginger and cinnamon leaf. Any thoughts on the combos?

12. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Sue, I have worked with all the individual oils you mentioned, and they are staples in my collection (which means they are excellent oils with very practical and useful applications)
    Pre-formulated combinations can be useful in a very general sense. There is no one-size-fit all formula, just like everything else. For you, especially, with your N=1.
    What I used to do for people is to have them smell a collection of individual oils which I think may benefit them, and from that, their bodies will tell me which are the ones they need. The formula will also change as the person's body responds and evolves.
    As for the particular combinations of the two you mentioned, the lung one is pretty straightforward. I do have a question, what is the subspecies of the Eucalyptus? I find that Eucalyptus Radiata to be most effective in boosting immunity of the respiratory system, as well as the lymphatic system. Also, organic oils are more therapeutic in general.
    The formula for the kidneys is more complicated. It totally depends on what objective you are trying to achieve. Tonic, diuretic, detox? And of course, your N=1 will also drive the particular oils being selected.
    The most important question for you: How does your body feel after using them? what is your method of delivery? Do you use a carrier oil or do you use inhalation? If inhalation, what type of diffuser do you use?

13. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

I've recently started using EO'S here too. This was once of the mitohacks that I used when Carl was in rehab and he had his own private room, which I requested for him. I'm very fond of these oils. We have some large white pines on our property, which we planted with the kids when they were young. I lay very close to those whenever I am out harvesting the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G2FKKZG?psc=1

14. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

Yes its Eucalyptus Radiata. The blends are organic, low temp and low pressure distilled. I have the 12 in a box, and pick intuitively, then give it a good sniff. My first massage therapist used to try to get me to smell and pick them, but in the end chose for me ..... It took me 6 months of weekly massage to realise that chamomile even had a smell .... These oils were originally only sold to practitioners for clinical use, and aren't available any more, but the mixes interest me. If you are interested I will type up the list and botanical names of the 12 and post it in my journal. I now intuitively pick, sniff as a second check, either breathe it in from that or put one drop on a wrist and rub my wrists together, breathing it in as well. My current massage therapist will use my pick if I ask her, but for massage I prefer what I call "raw massage" with a mix of the Bach flower remedies and some base oil. Without the distraction of scent, I "feel" my body more, (being glycated and past trauma makes me hyposensitive to physical touch), and a "raw massage" gives me more body awareness, rather than just living in my head. :)

15. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Sue, I am definitely interested. Always can learn more, as it sounds like you have an unusual source, and not the regular commercial blends available (I should have known better....)
    So please enter it in your journal at your leisure...
    Would be fascinating to see as your body evolves if you will one day be drawn to the 'distraction' of scents...
    If you ever have the opportunity, get a whiff of a good helichrysum and let me know your reaction.