1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Topical Menthol Thermogenesis

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by pthomaslandry@gmail.com, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I thought this was traditional chinese medicine... while it may be outside the human evolutionary experience, chinese medicine has a long tradition.

2. Big Bobcat

Big Bobcat New Member

Dang...I just looked and camphor is one of the main ingredients.

Thanks for the advice.

3. Entelechy

Entelechy New Member

If I remember correctly, menthol alone also potentiates 2 heat activated TRP's as well.

edit.... found it.

"human physiological studies demonstrate a para-

doxical role of menthol in modulation of warm sensation, and here, we

show that menthol also activates heat-activated TRPV3. We further

show that menthol inhibits TRPA1, potentially explaining the use of

menthol as an analgesic. Similar to menthol, both camphor and

cinnamaldehyde (initially reported to be specific activators of TRPV3

and TRPA1, respectively) also modulate other thermoTRPs.

4. First I appreciate that you found this as it may solve a problem for me. I have a knee problem (it often klunks when I walk) I have been icing the knee while I wait for my ortho referral appt, still 6 weeks off. I have found icing the knee for about an hour twice a day helps more than anything else for relieving the pain, and I think improving the problem. A couple of days ago, I was so busy one day I forgot to ice the knee at all, and when I went to bed that night, my knee ached and ached, reminding me that I had forgotten. OTOH, when I ice it 2x a day, I usually don't need ibuprofen at all.

But I am going on a 16 day trip in 3 weeks that logistically I probably won't be able to ice the knee that much, and I was worried about the pain as there is likely to also be a lot of walking. This gives me an option to take with me for when icing is not practical.

Thanks.

5. The real question is how to get it in optimal coffee. ;)

6. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

this is very good stuff! my chiro gave it to me when I had bad inflammtion for a suprasprinitus muscle injury and it helped enormously

7. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

I haven't had time to really read through those papers - but the one part that made me nervous was the talk about desensitization and sensitization. I'd like to understand that more before I'd use menthol more than once or as a fun hobby.

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Lol, Cavemam. I've been bringing my CT in a bottle everywhere I go lately... not sure how Tiger Balm would be in coffee though... I wonder what would happen if you added menthol to your bath water - would it make it colder?

9. villjamur_stevenson

Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap?

10. villjamur_stevenson

I tried a little peppermint oil last night - i don't think it contains enough menthol in it.

It certainly cooled my skin, but it wasn't overly powerful.

Certainly not as strong as the Biofreeze my chiro used in the past - which also is very $$$$.

I'll try to pick up some generic menthol at the pharmacy this weekend and give it another try.

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Dang, mine is lavender ;)

12. villjamur_stevenson

13. N~Doro

N~Doro Silver

14. villjamur_stevenson

I've been playing around with menthol off and on. I was able to find some generic icy hot spray, that didn't have camphor - and had minimal ingredients along with 16% menthol. I tested it out on small patches of skin at first.

I've noticed that it seems to activate TRPM8 very well on my lower back. However, my gut, where most of my WAT is - seems less sensitive to menthol.

15. Interesting, I've noticed similar. I've been doing intermittent ice pack CT since February, and the places I've iced more frequently seem to be less sensitive to menthol. Im certain it activates the sensors there, its just not as "sensational" as the places that weren't as frequently exposed. Partially more cold adapted in different areas i suppose. This makes sense, as the same areas react accordingly with ice as well.

The baths are easier, and less stinky...

16. villjamur_stevenson

The other issue is that since i am trying to lose some weight, using ice also creates a calorie sync - even if it is minor, at least it is something. Where the menthol isn't going to pull heat away from the body.

I certainly don't like the smell!

17. Birdy

Birdy New Member

dang, mine is almond

18. Birdy

Birdy New Member

I have some spearmint essential oil, which I like to sniff now and then. I don't know how much menthol it has. I have tons of mint growing around my CT tub, maybe it will help? I have several kinds. It is fun, whether it does anything or not, to have some chilled mint water before CT-ing.

19. Cody

Cody New Member

Any updates on this? villjamur_stevenson What is that product you found? Where did you find it? I looked at my local Walgreens with no luck on a spray with that much Menthol.

20. villjamur_stevenson

I use an Icy Hot Spray can - it has 15% menthol in it, with no camphor.

I have also found a generic Rite Aid version, with the same ingredients.

I don't use it a lot, but on days when I'm short on time I've been applying it.

I have found that if I apply it 20 minutes before swimming in my relatives pool (which is a warm 86 F) - it makes my skin feel very cold when I jump in.