1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Took the kids in for a celiac panel

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Shijin13, Apr 3, 2012.

1. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

if it were me I`d start with an elimination diet (which is essentially paleo) but sounds better than paleo to those who are CW

this book http://www.amazon.ca/This-Your-Child-Doris-Rapp/dp/0688119077 was very helpful when I was learning about food intolerances and behaviour with my son

2. Sem

Sem New Member

Colleen - can you believe I JUST ordered that book on Amazon and it arrived yesterday? I haven't had a chance to read it yet but my boys have many of the symptoms just from the photos on the back of the book. I also got the book "What's eating your child?" the hard part for me is getting everyone else to cooperate. Even my husband, who totally agrees with me and says he wholeheartedly supports this, will then do something like take the boys to Starbucks while I'm still sleeping and get them low fat cinnamon cakes. I know he means well and just wants to let me sleep but aargh! I got even more freaked after I saw the 60 minutes story on sugar. I knew most of it but still! I'm going to let today go ... It's Easter and my sons 8th birthday but tomorrow is a new day. Happy Easter!

3. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

I think you will really find the book useful, I haven`t seen the other one and will look it up. hopefully it was a successful birthday party!

4. ChristineKleiber

ChristineKleiber New Member

Gretchen we really need to F2F! Probably should ask Stacy to join us!

As you know from my postings, I have walked just about every step you are talking about. I swear I should have a second degree in nutrition and child development by now, but of course as you know... the more you know, the more you know there is that you don't know.

First, I do NOT want to discount that there might be issues with a child, but I want to encourage everyone who reads this thread, that children do not develop in a linear fashion, all have issues of some kind or another, and we are actually blessed when they are obvious enough that we can treat them without someone hitting us on the head with a 2x4. After nearly a decade with a child with special needs, I can sit in a room of preschool children and pick out the ones that need evals. And while I will not get in a parent's face about it, I will talk to a teacher. Never to I ask them to divulge confidential information, I just flat out give them my Mom Who Knows assessment, and remind them of their obligation to bring these issues to a parent's attention.

Yes go for the celiac tests - IgA and DNA if available. That said, we all know there are ways to have gut issues without these tests coming up positive. In your situation though - with the DCP, I would hope that you get some tangible data that you can work with. Jack or someone with more allergy experience can correct me, but my pediatrician told me that a child's enzymatic function totally changes when they hit 2 years of age. So what is happening at 12 mos and 30 mos can be very, very different and you are chasing a moving train. That is why if nothing is seriously wrong, try not to tinker too much - the little guy is doing his own tinkering. And there are notes in the literature that withholding Ige mediated allergens - particularly dairy in children under 5 - increases the chances that the allergy will be "outgrown".

On the speech/language... The Late Talker by Marilyn Agen was the source recommended to me and how we started fish oil supplements. The book has some really good common sense guidelines on where a child's language development should be. I would take note of those guidelines and make some notes of what you remember before you start forgetting. it will help the speech eval. And PLEASE, try not to stress. The absolutely best thing you can do for speech is talk to your child with tons of eye contact - the latter being a more important indicator of behavioral issues, the former being more related to neuro/motor development. Most importantly, look for progress. Is his language improving? And I put lots of weight on the gold standard of 2 word noun-verb phrases at 2 years of age.

On fecal fat/malabsoprtion tests - we have passed those with flying colors too and still show signs of leaky gut (Jack's assessment). So what am I doing? The same thing I did years ago... modifying the diet as best I can by adding really good foods and watching the problem ones get nudged out. I know this may sound like the dreaded "moderation", but with kids with behavior issues - who wants them to cope with "die off". How do you explain that to a kid?

Collecting the ff test - they should give you a collection kit - ask for a "hat" - Like the one they use in the hospital post partum to check your urine output. You will need to get your son to stand and pee first and then sit to do the rest of the business. The bigger pain is you need to then take it to the lab pronto. Yes, I've rolled in hot on the ER at Ft B to get an after hours gift into the lab system. LOL - not.

5. ChristineKleiber

Concur here that everyone is saying to start looking at diet, but I would also be looking at sleep and vitamin D as well - these were recommended to me for my son - which we now need to test.

With respect to the medicines, of course, not ideal. But they don't have to be permanent either. Most ADHD has two components - the working memory part - where the kid can't hang on to the thought they just had or heard from you. And the other is inhibition - the ability to hold a thought off to the side because you are working a different thought and then bring back that other thought at the right time. ADHD meds work on the inhibition part and can be a good temporary crutch to help a child work on wiring working memory, master material that must be learned by rote language (math facts are actually store in the language part of the brain), and other executive function skills. So no I'm not a fan of medication, but it may be worth a try to make some gains in the academic arena. Lots of ADHD kids slide under the radar until about 3rd grade when their executive function issues start to pop out trying to manage more detailed work.

Reasons NOT to do the meds or stop them - crashing emotional meltdowns when coming off them or failure to thrive/weight/growth issues sue to appetite suppression. The latter situation is what kept us from trying them for years. We haven't been successful with them because of these side effects although they were a wonderful help to his visual distraction.

And yes there are days when I wish I could just make him a BP coffee and call it good!!

FWIW - we have done two interventions to aid him - Interactive Metronome (intensively and not just as a component of OT) and CogMed Working Memory Training. Both were done without medicinal intervention in parallel, so we were able to collect data on how these therapies worked. The IM we did first and saw great improvement in prosody of speech. CogMed we were able to actually measure improvement in the working memory and processing speed components of the WISC IQ test.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

heavy metals and BPA are other things to look at.......

7. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

How do we test for BPA? my chiro can get me the heavy metals tests... I think 1st we'll do the GIFX and go from there...

As for the DS' speech - we've talked w/the headstart program - have an eval to fill out - the counselor is of the opinion, that he's just more advanced on motorskills, vs talking (Based upon the phone interview she had w/me) but she still wants to go ahead for the full evaluation - to be on the safe side. they also want us to see an ENT to rule out any hearing issues... so that's next on the list of things to do in my busy life...

8. ChristineKleiber

Yes, the hearing tests are very helpful. OEM and ABR were all fine, but where the break down happened for us was in the auditory processing - something that you can't test for until at least age 7 (there are no established norms below that age) GAP testing, Dichotic listening , Listening in Noise are all tests that can be pursued later if language or an executive function disorder seems lurking.

Childfind within FCPS has been FANTASTIC, but this is where I will share that Speech/Language issues have to be worked both from an educational standpoint and a medical standpoint. For example Tricare and some other insurances don't cover SLT after age 3 unless certain criteria are met, as they feel it can be addressed by school system based services. Accurate diagnosis of any comorbid deficiencies can make a major difference in what services can be obtained through the medical community.

I would also offer that if there are no major hearing/listening deficiencies, that emphasizing music will make a huge difference in speech. Lots of poetry reading, tons of melodic music, and since his motor skills are great, plenty of percussion toys.

There is a book called Disconnected Kids, which talks plenty about right/left brain dominance and how it plays out for kids not only with ASD's or ADHD, but any child. It gets pretty detailed on how to rewire the brain with simple exercises to restore balanced processing.

But I stop here, before I continue to unleash the decade of information that is packed in my head. I am convinced that your little guy is just all boy and it won't be long before you are asking him to stop interrupting you!

9. Mud Flinger

Mud Flinger New Member

This was so true with our son. He barely spoke before 2 and with all the autism talk... well just plain scary!

Hopefully your son is just a normal kid who is speaking later just like so many boys. They just are not as verbal as girls are!

10. Coriander

Coriander Silver

It's facinating how different they can be, and yet still be fine. My firstborn only spoke two words until he was almost two: More! and No! His first words after these two were adressed to me, as he dragged his fathers sledge hammer out of the laundry. Slowly, deliberately, he asked "Can I use Daddy's big hammer....please." From that day on he kept bringing me book after book, pointing and watching me speak, then repeating everything I said.

My 2nd babbled as if he made complete sense, and just gradually started adding real words to the flow.

Then my 3rd started talking before her first birthday, but in the chaos of a busy household I didn't really notice the significance. My sister is a speech pathologist, and nearly fell off her chair when my 12mth old said 'more please mum'. This same child didn't walk until she was 16mths. Coming down the hallway she said proudly 'look mum, emmy's walking'.

11. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

We used Johannsen Sound Therapy for youngest, as she has dyslexic-related auditory processing problems - she didn't really start speaking until she was two, and then only a few words which she couldn't say properly. She ended up have fairly extensive speech therapy from age 5 - 6, in combination with the Sound Therapy and now has much fewer problems - I doubt she'll ever be 100%, especially as she is partially deaf in one ear. I must say, we were particularly worried when she didn't talk, as eldest started at around 11 months, and middle one around 10 months - both were making good sense by a year - so it was a bit of a shock when youngest was so slow to talk (mind you, she makes up for it now - a real blether-box!).