1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Took the kids in for a celiac panel

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by Shijin13, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

The kids had their annual physicals today. And since my IgA is still off the charts we decided to run ceilac panels on both since the do get eczema when they eat wheat in large qtys.

Drawing blood on a 2yo and 4yo isn't that fun. Took two separate sticks to get the boy. The girl was very brave even though she cried when it was her turn (she went first). The interesting thing was she was more upset when it was her brothers turn (she's very sensitive - I never realized how much until today though)

But at least I'll know now if the have any issues and if they don't I still plan on keeping the crap away from them

Also we're taking ds for an evaluation on his speech and hearing b/c he's not talking much and is having problems pronouncing the words he does know. Based on Drs initial eval and discussion w/us about his speech patters she thinks it might be auditory. Guess well see when we get the appointment

I'm exhausted from this afternoon!!

2. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Did the doc say it was likely to get accurate results? My impression was that blood testing was primarily useful only if you've been eating at least 2 servings of wheat per day for the last two months. Of course, you can do the gene test, too, but that doesn't prove you've got it, just susceptibility.

I'm running through the questions b/c I'm considering this for my children, too, largely to know (and have backup for the grandparents) whether a 100% no wheat policy is needed. Currentyl they have it about once/month, but when they get a lot at the grands', they all have symptoms. Different ones for every child.

I'm looking at the fecal fat malabsorption and antigliadin sIgA for them if bloodwork isn't the way to go. How did you get your antigliadin results?

3. colleencoble

colleencoble New Member

You probably would have been better off to get stool panels, Gretchen. Those blood tests are notorious for false negatives. :( Hope you get to the truth though!

4. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yeah but we'll start slow and work our way up

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

They eat wheat at DCP b/c its part of the state program. So they are getting more than I would prefer. She did say we should retest in a couple of yrs to reverify. But b/c the get eczema when they eat a lot it would be good to know. Also the boys speech/hearing may be impacted by food allergies as well. So well see if I need too well do stool samples w/both and go from there. Those will be ezpz especially w/the boy b/c he's still wearing diapers.

6. MJ*

MJ* New Member

How old is your boy? Does he have a lot of allergies and does he get a lot of ear infections? Sometimes this can be the reason kids have speech difficulties and it should be ruled out before the speech issues get pinned on an auditory processing issue...it can be as simple as fluid filled tubes that can sometimes be so chronic that it's not picked up, especially if he's young...if you haven't looked into that, consider checking it out...

7. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Ok I just saw this, so he has a lot of allergies, you may want to see an ENT doc to make sure it's not fluid...

8. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

No allergies that we know of...just the ezcema when lots of wheat is consumed. doing the early intervention then we go from there based upon the recommendation; I anticipate we'll look at both allergies, check hearing, see an ENT, and maybe even start speech therapy...

9. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

My youngest was diagnosed non-coeliac gluten-intolerant when she was 4 - she had the blood test and the results were off the scale, so we took her off all foods containing wheat immediately (we had to re-introduce them for her biopsy, which was hell - she was really, really ill then). Within a week she started to sleep better, her eczema started to clear up, her speech improved (but not her hearing - she is partially deaf in one ear, so it is worth having a hearing test done) and her school commented on how much her behaviour improved. When she had the re-introduction to gluten for her biopsy, it was back to square one and then some - and disappointingly her biopsy was clear, hence the non-coeliac gluten intolerant label as she is so symptomatic when she eats anything containing gluten! She also has multiple allergies which clear up considerably, although not completely, when following a primal/paleo diet, and she is sadly hypermobile and dislocates her hips, shoulders and kneecaps with the greatest of ease ...

10. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Interesting you mention behaviour... @4 dd isn't good w/large group classes, following directions, even for a short period of time...its hard to get her focused on things...though when she wants to focus she can w/o problem

she wanted to dance/ballet as a 2nd activity - so we signed her up for class - took her and she refused to participate, even if we volunteered to do the stuff w/her. in swimming class - she's not always doing what the instructor wants her to do... though that might be b/c she's a bit further ahead than the other kids in her class... but she generally follow instruction; but then again she's been taking swimming lessons every Saturday since she was 6mths old...

Initially I thought this lack of ability to follow directions, and participate in group setting was related to her not being in pre-school; maybe its partially diet related!!! EUREKA!

11. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

It could well be food-related behaviour problems - we always know when youngest has eaten something she shouldn't have for several reasons - bloating, upset stomach, body odour changes, eczema and terrible, argumentative and obstructive behaviour!

12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

interesting...this might explain her horrendous breath - even w/all the teeth brushing we do w/her! I just hope we get some confirmation of this b/c it will be that much easier to enforce the no wheat/bread/pasta... she's starting to understand that she doesn't feel well when she eats it... but teach her not to eat it when all the other kids do is going to be hard...same for ds as well..

13. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

My son's borderline ODD is DEFINITELY food related. Our first week on GAPS, he went from utter and complete melt down (9 years old) when I mentioned starting schoolwork to just rolling his eyes or a brief groan. Night and day.

14. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

didn't see if it was mentioned but if you come up negative on the blood don't stop there, do a DNA cheek swab from Cyrex to see if they have the celiac or gluten sensitive genes.

15. tweety

tweety New Member

Hmmm... we have completely cut wheat/gluten from our kids diets, but my oldest also has terrible breath. Admittedly she has a lackluster approach to personal hygiene, but regardless of brushing and flossing this persists. I wonder if dairy is doing it.

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

When my son's breath starts smelling, it's because he needs more K2. It usually happens after a weekend at GRandma's or the like, then gets better as I pump the butter and fCLO. He's the fourth born and as Price predicted, had the worst teeth of all the kids by 20 months Gone to the gumline in front.

When my second-in-line's tooth fell out recently (was rotten when he was 18-20mo, just like the rest of the kids), it had been all but dead for years, sitting with no pain or infection, but it broke in half in his mouth. When it fell out, it smelled just like dc#4's breath smells when he eats poorly.

Don't know if it's a similar smell, bu could be. In my kid, it has nothign to do with hygiene.

Of course, there's also the bad breath I got when my sugar addiction was at its worst. No amount of oral hygiene could stop it, b/c it was coming from deep within. Bleh.

17. tweety

tweety New Member

Its like moth balls. She eats as clean as could be, with the rare treat being the exception. I was wondering if it was dairy, even though its raw milk and cheese and yogurt. Something more to think about.

18. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I see a doc in Fairfax that does Asyra testing. It sounds really out there....energy testing. There is info on youtube. Anyway totally non invasive and give readings on many foods, parasites, even tooth issues will come up on this test. Had my entire family done and pinpointed food sensitivities. Anything inflammatory to the individual will show. About 200 bucks a person....very interesting stuff :)

Great for kids...I hate having them stuck for bloodwork. They are so brave but it breaks my heart.

19. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

serum celiac tests for kids are even less reliable than for adults but I hope you get some response that might help convincing the day care folks to not give the kids the gluten.

my son was diagnosed with a dairy allergy (casein and lactose) after 13 ear infections in 12 months. we took dairy completely out but later in life he/we were not as diligent and the school wanted to test him for ADD because he could not sit still in class.

I did all the tests myself (did not trust the school testing) all were negative even the brain scan. I pulled dairy from his diet completely again the wandering stopped and now 7 years later he is on the principals list and has been accepted to engineering.

jmho but always check the diet!

20. Sem

Sem New Member

I have been lurking on this forum but this is my first post. You guys are so inspirational. I am trying really hard to switch my kids over to a paleo/primal lifestyle. They have lots of allergies, both food and environmental. They both have eczema. My oldest especially can be very difficult to handle. He's 8 tomorrow (Easter!) but still has frequent meltdowns, oppositional behavior and has been diagnosed with ADHD. He's on meds for that bit I really don't feel good about it. We tried to take him off but it seemed like his anxiety got worse. I don't know where to turn for help. Doctors just propose more drugs and poo poo any talk of dietary change. My family is downright hostile about it and school and activities are such minefields. I really feel at the end of my rope. Help!