1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Too much protein?

Discussion in 'The Leptin Rx' started by Haley, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Hi Emma,
    no post can explain what you need to do better than what you were advised by the doctor you consulted. If he advised you not to eat grassfed beef or bacon then do not. I suspect though that this is a mix of old and new knowledge.
    From my reading you are intent on restricting quantity. IF does not restrict you in quantity only within the timeframe. The BAB might be exactly what you are missing. I could not say whether it should be protein or fat as I do not know all your history.
    I suggested the above vegetables as they are relatively lo carb for your season and they contain sulfur. Vegetables is one thing you should restrict and the ones that you have should reflect the season. So you did well in restricting vegetables as you are heading for winter.

Re the sugar cravings my suggestion would be to keep a diary here/ resurrect the one you have. State your Grans history/Mums and your history and what you do on a daily basis. Especially what you do about light,sleep,light avoidance,EMF etc. It makes it so much easier for people to lend an additional eye.

Edit: one hour of sun at sunrise, grounded is a sterling way to start the day!! Well done .
    caroline likes this.
  2. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

PS: Look at the leptin reset again . It mentions the variations for an ED history if memory serves. Also vagus nerve exercise will help with that matter too, as ED is related to vagal tone as well.
    caroline likes this.
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

The leptin reset is magic to get rid of cravings of all kinds ......but you have to have enuf fat and protein.

The leptin reset + C/T is a match made in heaven - for sure!
  4. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thanks ladies. I will review the LR protocol again.

And yes the bacon thing was part of the idea that meats are good for cancer. GR beef seemed better to me so I will review that also.

I am doing my CT in the sea every day here. Its hard but its gorgeous too! And whilst I can't gound at sunrise (i'm on my rood terrace to see it) I do try and ground when I can. I'm finding it hard to be outside in the morning now even with socks on as it was -1 last night so the pain in my hands and feet was too much this morning. Any tips on how to help that?

I know my ED habit is also so habit driven - its been with me for so long and I just need to break this habit and change the neurons in my brain. I am getting there, albeit it slowly.

I should also tell you that I've taken the plunge and plurged my redundancy on a trip to Mexico over new year to meet Jack :) Then i'm gonna spend 4 weeks chilling on a few beaches and working out where to settle and call home for the next few years. I'm not sure this island Ibiza, is right long term. Its been a good start from London though and has helped me alot.

I will try and do the diary, although as I only have wifi access here (I'm renting so its been tricky changing it to ethernet so far I'll try again when I'm back from Mexico) I don't want to spend too long online, but I'll see how I go.

My key is to not be afraid of fat. The weight thing is so ingrained in me that with all the protein and the fat I have worries it'll make me put on unhealthy weight. I got very thin after BC and have put weight back on but know I'm not supposed to be any bigger as it feels uncomfortable. The key I think is adding in some gentle exercise now. Along with my CT.

Right, off to swim in the sea now.

Thanks for your help.
    caroline likes this.
  5. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Actually one more question I have is if you think I should be following the LR maybe I'm doing too much exercise?
    I do pilates in a class with machines twice a week, swim very slowly in the sea every day, walk once a week on a hike maybe 8-10km and do stretching or yoga in the morning (if I can manage it before breakfast - if not later on in the day if hunger gets to me).

And finally.. its 12.45 and I'm starving! I ate my breakfast (130g of salmon and 2 poached eggs on a salad of raw cabbage and endives with avocado oil ACV and garlic dressing plus bone broth and ghee half a cup) and I'm wondering if I do need to do the BAB. Although I did that yesterday and I was also hungry at lunch!
  6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Emma . my general caveat is this .I think you have had a great consult with a great doctor if memory serves ? If that is the case do not change his advice for something you read in a post. Have you been advised what to eat? The Leptin reset is good, but you need to know is if you should make your breakfast fat or protein heavy.

Swimming in the sea will make you stark raving hungry. It is normal. Read the CT posts that mention Michael Phelps.
    Make your breakfast the priority,not yoga. Have a big ass breakfast . I spell it out to take the edge off the words . See what happens to your hunger. You should be hungry every day before breakfast. Hungry or not,eat first thing in the morning. If it was now 12.45 and you were starving I hope you ate. There is way too many numbers in your plan. Have 3 spaced out meals every day for a good while then maybe think about reducing to two. While you still worry about quantities you need three meals.

Make the vagus nerve exercises your priority. It will really really help. It can solve so many problems.

Splendid that you are going to Mexico.
    caroline likes this.
  7. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thank you again for your time and help.

This is the thing Lahelada, Jack didn't mention what to eat. He said only this - never eat when dark ever again, do IF for 8/16, don't have to be keto just eat most of my carbs in the morning and to work towards 2 meals then 1. He didn't mention LR (this was in May) so when I later asked him on here whether I should be doing IF and LR because I wondered with my history if I was LR (and I'd read that you shouldn't combine the two), he just said 'I don't think you need it'. So I presumed he meant I didn't need to do LR, so I didn't do the BAB and continued with 10-6pm IF as the light was longer then trying to do 2 meals only. Then I got conflicting advice on here about whether to do the BAB and what hrs of IF to do and carbs etc and never had it confirmed by Jack. He just kept saying light light light (which I get and have been doing). But what to eat and when would be good to know. Are there guidelines for the decision over fat or protein at breakfast? Maybe I could work it out myself. Obviously I will clarify all this when I speak to him in Mexico. Unfortunately my ED history and a huge amount of stress this year leaving the UK and breaking up from my fiance has made things worse with food and I started binging again, so this is why I seek clear guidleines. I sound so nuts but I know I need it.

I will check out the vagus nerve exercises for sure.

For now I will stick to eating at 8, 12 and 4 and have 3 big meals with proteins and fats and vegetable carbs mostly in the morning and a little noon at 4. I need to widen my menu as at the moment its just sardines, salmon, GF beef, prawns occassionally, ghee, nuts, olives, avocados, bone broth, cononut oil, eggs (occasioinally goats cheese? - its so yummy here!) and green veggies.

I'm heading to the UK in 2 weeks so will eat more meat there like liver and kidneys and lamb chops as can get it easier there. The Mexico and lots of fish!

Will check out the Michael Phelps thing too. Still not sure if doing myself a favour by having a cold shower first thing before breakfast, it wakes me wonderfully but I'm wondering if its a stress to do the body and should be after my breakfast. myabe the Michael Phelps post will help me work this out.
    Lahelada likes this.
  8. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Your intuition is right . CT before breakfast is not that great. CT protocol states that you should have a protein rich meal and a glass of ice water before doing it. Read the CT start guide and start with the face dunks. This is a good podcast talking about CT . I translated a summary for my Spanish speakers here https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/biohacking-podcasts/cold-thermogenesis-how-to/

caroline likes this.
  9. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thanks will listen to this. I did start with face dunking 8 months ago but because now to full body immersion in the cold sea I thought I didn't need it. Also Jack told me to get cold and do it as much as I could hence why I started the cold showers but it doesn't feel right. I've changed it to after my breakfast now :)
    Lahelada likes this.
  10. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

The why of face dunking is in the CT series. It will become clear to you why it is a great "conditioner" If not ask .:D
    caroline likes this.
  11. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Have had a brief read but don't want wifi on too long as just bene a cafe with lights and wifi and millions of phones and have a headache despite my blueblockers. Think I'm getting more sensitive!

So its to prepare the body (mammalian reflux or something). I'll do it first thing after my breakfast. Shoudl I continue with my cold showers and cold swims in the sea though?
    Lahelada likes this.
  12. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Its 62f in the sea and I can handle 22 minutes with divers gloves on normally but thats with no shivers, Maybe I should work for longer. Its pretty draining though so I don't want to overdo it. I need to get a skin thermometor
  13. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Nothing will happen if you drop it and see how you feel. I would do the face dunks and swimming in the sea. I would not extend the swims in the sea for safety (cramps etc ) but first go with the face dunks in water that is 50 F-55F as per protocol. You could always lie on the beach after your 20 minute swim and let the wind dry you off.
    No CT before breakfast. Cold shower is difficult to get benefit from as it has to be a long shower to get the skin temp to go down sufficiently. However if they make you feel good keep at it.
    Emma Sabin and caroline like this.
  14. caroline

caroline Moderator

when you are in the sea - you also get the sun on you = fournier effect.

Emma - please concentrate only on what Jack told you. You don't have to get all the science - that can come later. Get as much sun and seafood and good fat and C/T as you can.

Somedays you may only be able to stay in the sea for 10 minutes - somedays 45 minutes - it is just so important to do it.

Have you listened to the November webinar? this one is such a game changer. Everything we have been learning leads to this one. I certainly don't get all the science - but I do get this one in spades ......and my life depends on it! I have gotten off track the last year and now I exactly understand where I have gone a little wrong. Nothing huge - just subtle things that I will change immediately.

It is all in the detail!

As we age nnEMF is our worst enemy ......we need tons and tons of sun for deuterium depletion.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Lahelada likes this.
  15. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Thanks ladies. Have done my face dunks. Not sure it was cold enough as was easy. Just fridge cold water and no way of testing temp but will try and remedy that.

Will listen to webinars again and hopefully more will go in this time.
    Lahelada likes this.
  16. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have a swimming pool thermometer to get how cold the water is - pretty cheap

I add a couple of frozen ice bricks to my water.
    Lahelada likes this.
  17. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Good idea! I have got my tupperware box in the freezer waiting for tomorrow morning now :)
    caroline and Lahelada like this.
  18. Emma Sabin

Emma Sabin Gold

Still easy with a whole tupperware box of ice from the freezer warmed by a little hot water in the morning. I can hold my breath in there for 20 seconds. Should i just do that every day do you think?
  19. caroline

caroline Moderator

absolutely! wouldn't hurt to do it a couple of times a day if you want.
    Danco3636 likes this.