1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

To Eat the BAB or not....that is my question

Discussion in 'Optimal Reset 2013' started by Claudia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Awesome idea...my kids and H would love this, too.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

I make a pate with lambs liver and butter. A couple tablespoons of that in the morning with some raw meat is great

3. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Recipe for the lamb liver pate, please!!!

4. andee

andee Silver

Yes, I believe we are supposed to eat the BAB whether we're hungry or not. I am never that hungry but force it down - and then am very happy to be free of thinking about food for the next 6 hours. My a.m. cortisol was low when I first started LR but has now edged into the mid-range. If I remember correctly what Dr. K has written, one benefit of the BAB is it signals the body: we are not in starvation mode, we do not have to focus on getting food in order to survive today. To me that would be a message that helps the adrenals relax and begin to function in a more normal pattern instead of the low am/high pm stress pattern.

I do have one question about the BAB: does anyone else feel really tired after eating it? (I think it's particularly the fat - my gall bladder is not the most efficient). These days I wake up early and feel awake - this is a real miracle for me - but after the BAB I feel like I need a nap. If anyone has any theories about this would love to hear them!

5. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I used to get tired after my BAB too and I actually asked Jack about it before. He said it probably indicated a leaky gut, which of course is a result of one's clock being off. I think doing CT first thing in the morning after my BAB really helped with this and now even on days when I can't CT I don't get tired like I used to.

6. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Andee, have you tried ox bile for fat digestion? It helped me a lot at the BAB beginnings.

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Still struggling with BAB. But doing more CT and walking barefoot on the beach. I've gotta do better with the BAB.

Also, got my orange glasses and have been wearing them. They are not that comfortable though. Bother me around the ears, in fact that's why I gave up glasses for contact lenses. Also, if I"m reading in bed, is it ok to just read with my amber light on or do I need to wear the glasses, too? What is the bedtime routine like for you? I find it hard to brush my teeth and take off makeup with glasses on, esp. makeup so I'm trying to do it in the dark. I take my contact lenses off in the dark and then, put my eyeglasses on under the orange glasses, not so comfortable either. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

8. andee

andee Silver

BJK -thanks for responding re the post-BAB fatigue. I definitely have leaky gut though slowly improving. That's really interesting re the CT connection. One reason I signed up for the 90-day re-set was to get myself doing CT finally, no more excuses. I have the skin thermometer now and hereby commit to beginning face dunking on Saturday.

Destiny - good reminder, I haven't used ox bile in years - thanks!

Claudia - the other thing I remember Dr K writing about the BAB is if you really can't manage the protein, up your fat instead - though I don't remember reading exactly how much fat would compensate for how much less protein. Maybe you can experiment as you work you way up to full on BAB. I use the amber glasses or the amber light bulbs not both. I use a small lamp with an amber bulb in my bathroom at night. I am impressed you are doing CT and am envious you have a beach to walk on!

9. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks Andee, I remember that now, too, but had forgotten. I do eat a lot of fat so I will add some more in for BAB. I'm not really counting what I'm eating at the moment, working my way up. Today I had 2 eggs scrambled, ground beef...maybe 3 oz., and some salmon sushi, threw out most of the rice but had a couple with rice which amounts to like 1 tablespoon. It was about 5 pieces of raw salmon. Don't really know how much protein I actually had. I was stuffed for many hours, not really hungry again until about 4pm. Ate dinner at 6pm and that was pork in the crockpot with broccoli, cooked in coconut oil.

I am so lucky to have the beach, I know :), and I love it and always have. I'm going to get another lamp with amber lightbulb and put it in my bathroom. I have the perfect spot for it and it's far away from the sink area.

Here's a lame question: Can I skip BAB on my 1 yoga day per week? Tomorrow I go to yoga class in the morning when kids are in school. I go to yoga once per week. The last time I went I had eaten breakfast, not quite BAB, but maybe HAB. It was really hard to do yoga with that much food only about 1 hour before the class. I normally go to yoga on an empty stomach. I'm hoping someone will say, don't worry about BAB on that one day. Yoga is so important for me and realistically I have to go in the morning when my son is in preschool. There's no other chance. I know for Leptin Reset, we're supposed to exercise in the PM and not to exercise a lot. I just do 1 yoga, 1 dance, and one HIIT run day. I might walk on one other day. That's it. Mostly exercise is in the morning during school hours but I can still eat BAB if I'm doing dance, HIIT, and walking. On the weekends, I can exercise in the afternoon because H is home.

10. andee

andee Silver

I get it about yoga class! So... I can hear Dr. K saying, "Can you skip the BAB and take your yoga class on an empty stomach? Sure. But the right question to ask is: should you." No easy answers sometimes...

11. mila

mila New Member

The first day of the BAB (on my leptin reset do-over) was rough because I simply had NO appetite, but I did force it all down and felt fine for the next 12+ hours. After my dinner that I ate @ 5PM, I did start to feel sleepy and sweaty as hell! The next morning, I was hungry for breakfast and I felt great. No sleepiness, but about an hour later the horrible sweating started again and lasted all day. The same thing happened with dinner--12 hours later before I even thought about eating, but then I became really sleepy afterwards and the sweating was even worse than it had been earlier in the day. Same thing today. It's actually rather late for me now but I don't feel like I could go to sleep with all this sweating. I don't know if my leptin reset just happened to coincide with symptoms I may have begun to experience anyway due to perimenopause or if it's something else. I did add maca today for hormonal support. It just doesn't seem like I would be displaying any sort of symptoms (good or bad) so quickly, especially as I was eating a paleo diet before I started this.
    Any thoughts? Or should this be an "Ask Jack" kinda thing?

12. Inger

Inger Silver

Mila, what exactly was you eating?
    You could try to do different protein... How much protein did you had? How much fat?
    If I eat much cooked meat/egg protein I have gotten too warm... IDK why. With fish it is different. I feel better with meat and eggs raw so I do not cook them ever. You could try that and see if the sweating disappear.
    To drink lots of ice cold water cools me down too pretty good!

13. yarralea

yarralea New Member

OOH is it okay to add a different, somewhat relevant question to this thread?

Well my BAB is more fat based that protein based. I eat 5-8 egg yolks, cooked in gf beef tallow with an avocado chopped up and a big spoon of kimchi. I found I was eating too much protein in my day (when I was low carbing and trying to remain in ketosis) so I took out the whites, opting to drop the protein and raise the fat. This is my favourite breakfast, at times there might be a rasher or two of bacon with a good section of fat still attached, but not always.

Does this its not going to do the trick as a BAB, as it is more of a FBB (Fat based breakfast)? I'd love to here anyone's opinions of this. Also, I a few morning a week go for a 30 minute walk to get to the ocean, a twenty minute dunk in up to my neck- getting a real shiver on. I would like to know if it preferable to eat first or after? My goals, to lower my body fat further- I'm 70 kilos, athletic and would like to shift 5 kilos of body fat. 70 kgs,er... about 155 lbs?

any comments, happily noted.

14. cantweight

cantweight Gold

A lot of us have found we do better with more fat. Its not so much what you eat but when that is most important. Make sure you are eating within a half hour of waking. Enjoy your ocean dunks...that sounds wonderful :)

15. Hemming

Hemming New Member

I've also experienced that I wanted more protein in the beginning of the reset whereas I want more fat now.

16. suzgaray

suzgaray New Member

Everyone, I am trying to get through that hurdle with eating BAB at least 50 grams. Does anyone what BAB should look like besides eating eggs all the time?? Is there a book out there about how to get 50 grams in for Breakfast?? It would really help me :)

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Pork chops are my fav.

18. nicld

nicld Gold

I think it is about 6-7oz of meat or fish. I usually have a small grass fed steak with uncured bacon every morning. Been tossing in 2 organic eggs too. Other great morning good is some pork loin fried up too. I just find that I do better eating red meat or pork for breakfast, keeps me fuller. Oh and the coconut oil in the coffee every morning helps too.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Think dinner - for breakfast........throw a leg of lamb in a crockpot before you go to bed .....and Voila - breakfast!

I had a really hard time with eggs after awhile -

20. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

Now that it's getting cooler in my area, I love to make a nice, gigantic bowl of soup for BF! Start with some bone broth, add some sea veggies and mushrooms and about 6 oz of roast beef or pork. I usually also throw in about an oz or two of liver. If you would have told me years ago I'd EVER be eating this at any time of the day, let alone breakfast, I would have thought you were crazy! But now, I love it and actually look forward to my breakfast every morning!