1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

To Eat the BAB or not....that is my question

Discussion in 'Optimal Reset 2013' started by Claudia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

So, I'm wondering, would Jack, say eat the breakfast even if you're not hungry or is it ok to wait until I am hungry? Also, if my cortisol is on the lower end in the morning for a morning cortisol, and should be higher, does that also mean maybe I shouldn't be eating the BAB then.

Before Optimal Reset, I've been practicing intuitive eating or eating only when hungry and only until satisfied. I find this at odds with the BAB. I'm just not hungry. Wouldn't it be counterproductive to eat when leptin levels are high and I am not hungry? At the same time, I hear this voice very morning, eat breakfast.....

My hormones need balancing, my t3 is low, and I"m taking t3 only (low dose of 12.5 mcg per day), and I have some adrenal issues, too. I had a recent salivary test of adrenocortex stress profile. Morning is 11.3 (range is 6.0-42.0 nmol/L), noon is 9.2 (2.0-11.0), 4 pm is 9.1 (2.0-11.0), evening is 2.9 (1.0-8.0), cortisol daily, total 32.5 (11.0-76.0), DHEAS profile morning 13.9 (2.5-25.0 nmol/L) and DHEAS/CORTISOL AM is 1.23 HIGH (0.20-0.60 RATIO).

I did the Leptin reset already back in Nov. 11 to January 12, had all the signs, and stopped doing.

2. I just posted on your other thread at the same time you were posting this! I will say I did the same thing with the Leptin Rx. Started in Jan '12 and ended in March because I did have all the signs or what to me seemed like all the signs. Again i think this is a contextual thing where some signs are more applicable to some and not as much to others. I felt better all around but didn't have the energy. Having Hashis I wondered if I would ever get that back.

After two months of HAB, I decided to go back to BAB and felt a vast improvement in my energy and overall well-being. There are definitely days I don't want to eat in the morning but I force myself and after a couple of bites I'm all in! It's become quite easy for me with my BAB. I have a burger every morning (or some grass-fed beef) since I stopped eating eggs as I wasn't sure if they bothered me or not. But it has become part of my overall morning routine and it seems really strange on those blood draw days when I can't complete my BAB process until later. So moral of the story is to go back and reread the Leptin Rx blogs and maybe think about revisiting the BAB. Then again maybe it's EMF which I don't understand yet so cannot comment there! :confused:

3. curves64

curves64 Silver

Hehe, I posted a similar question in the Ask Jack section. It has been my recent experience that there is nothing like the BAB. I ate the BAB last April-June, felt all the clinical signs as Jack outlines, and then went to about 30 grams of protein in the am. When I returned to the BAB again 10 days ago, the results were startling. I lost all cravings again, went down to two meals a day easy, and started to lose weight for the first time since hearing about the Leptin Rx last April. My body comp is even changing. I feel fantastic. Better than ever. At this point, I don't know if I'm ever going to give up the BAB -- I'm on a roll!

4. curves64

curves64 Silver

I should also say that this is in conjunction with about 8 straight weeks of earthing and CTing in the Pacific for about 35 minutes 6 days a week. I dry brush my skin and play in the waves and have been progressively getting more and more of my body into the ocean. It wasn't the cold but the craziness of the surf that held me back. It's hilarious because now I squat down in the shallow water while keeping my feet on the ground. Sometimes a group forms behind me to watch what I'm doing because no one plays in the ocean there without a wet suit usually. Anyway, my point in bring it up is that, by reintroducing the BAB at this juncture, I reached new levels of feeling really really good.

5. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Really? Thanks to both of you. Curves64, Did Jack tell you to go back to BAB? I remember him telling me if I had all the signs, not to do it anymore. That if I wasn't hungry, I shouldn't force it. But that was while ago, actually about a year ago. Now with these new adrenal stress profile results, I'm wondering about it again. Actually, I'm thinking that if we have normal high cortisol in the morning that it goes better with the BAB, while low cortisol not so much.

6. Claudia

Claudia New Member

What thread did you post on? LOL. I can't keep track of where I posted and for some reason, I don't get e-mails. It just seems so counter-intuitive to force oneself to eat when not hungry and it goes against what I've been trying to learn. Yet, I know what you mean, I did feel better when I was doing it. I actually never made it to 50g of protein for BAB so my BAB was more like 30-40g but still got the signs and all that. And my hormones seemed more balanced and I remember not gaining weight but staying at the same weight, which is fantastic. I seem to have trouble gaining and it's my thryoid or my hormones not being balanced. Right now I just want to stay at this weight and not gain.

7. curves64

curves64 Silver

Claudia, I never considered that the BAB may be tied to cortisol. I'll have to think about that. I do know when I started this last year, my morning cortisol was low as a result of some pretty nasty Adrenal Fatigue. Today though, I energized in the morning -- In fact, I think I'm smartest in the morning lol. Anyway, I can't remember what Jack told me last year but most recently he told me if my clinical symptoms started to return without the BAB, to go back to eating it. I'm waiting to see what he says in response to my "Ask Jack" question. I will say I found recently that there is a huge difference in my overall feeling of well being if I eat 35-40 grams of protein versus when I eat 50 or more.

8. Claudia

Claudia New Member

So, you feel better with 50grams of protein??? Is that what you mean? And what do you eat to get that?

9. curves64

curves64 Silver

Yes. I distinctively and absolutely feel better with 50 or more grams of protein. I thought it would be the same eating 35 grams but eating 50 makes a noticeable difference. It varies but this morning I ate 5 slices of bacon and 4 eggs with fried salami and coconut oil in my coffee. At 35 grams I still had a large appetite. In contrast after eating 50 grams this morning at 9:00 am, I'm not the least bit hungry at 3:00 pm and my energy is great. I had no idea until recently how big a difference those 15 grams of protein would make.

10. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I'm pretty sure I've read many instances of Jack telling people to eat a BAB whether they were hungry for it or not. I wonder if you read some of the comments on the leptin rx blog if you might find the info you're looking for. I know I really struggled with all that food first thing in the morning when I initially began this journey, but now I've been eating my BAB for over a year and I love it! I can't imagine starting my day without it now.

I easily eat 50-60 grams of protein and oftentimes I feel like I could still eat more, but that holds me over for a good 5-6 hours until lunch.

11. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Well, I distinctly remember asking him about it. It was in the comments after the blog, may even be the leptin rx blog. I was getting the signs and I was starting CT. I remember telling him I didn't know whether it was that I no longer had LR or if it was the CT but that my hunger was killed and I wasn't hungry. He told me that I was no longer LR then and that if I wasn't hungry that was a very good sign. I think he said it had to do with CT killing my hunger. And I didn't need to eat the BAB anymore.

Hence, my confusion. However, it could be true that it's best to resume the BAB if the bad symptoms return, like curves64 says above: most recently Jack told me if my clinical symptoms started to return without the BAB, to go back to eating it.

12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

If your ASI, DHEA, Vit D, IGF 1 and salivary melatonin can all answer this clearly........if they suck you need the BAB.

13. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks Jack.
    My D is awesome, brought it up from 40 to 94 and it's staying there, but the other stuff not great. I have low morning cortisol, an 11.3 (with a range of 6.0-42.0). This is my adrenocortex stress profile, saliva test done recently. Midday is 9.2 (2.0-11.0), Afternoon is 9.1 (2.0-11.0nmol/L), and evening is 2.9 (1.0-8.0), DHEAS profile morning is 13.9 (range 2.5-25 nmol/L), and DHEAS/CORTISOL AM RATIO is HIGH 1.23 (-.20-0.60 range).

I also have low DHEA-Sulfate, blood was 71L (80-560 mcg/dL) and my iron is also low

my IGF 1 is 86 (range 52-328 ng/mL) Should this be much higher, seems low?
    Another flag was my sex hormone binding globulin, HIGH at >180 (18-144 n/mol/L)

14. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

I'm sorry Claudia - I should have been my clear with my response. I meant to say if one has signs of being LR they should definitely push the BAB. I know there's a separate Rx for what to do once one becomes LS. Sorry for any confusion!

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

EMF 7 is clear.......if DHEA ib bad........you cant fat burn well yet. If you have any gastric bypass this is why your hosed.......permanently to live in fast recycling pathways. IGF 1 of 86 is nightmarish.......SHBG of 180 is BAD too........you need the BAB for sure

16. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

So how do you unhose? Must be a way.

17. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Ok, first day trying to get back to doing BAB and I had no hunger waking up. It's been over a year since I did a BAB. It was SOOOOO crazy hard. I had grass-fed burgers ready because I knew I wouldn't have time to cook myself food. I make eggs for the kids every morning and have to get that ready and drive them to school. So, I munched a little on my burger while they were eating. To be honest, I prefer freshly grilled burgers and these I had cooked in a pan last night. They were like hockey pucks. I could barely eat 1/4 of it so I had some greek yogurt, some butter on a spoon, bulletproof coffee. Then, I had a weird tummy ache the rest of the morning. I didn't really eat enough to qualify as a BAB. But I haven't felt like eating and it's 3:30 now. I will most likely eat dinner with the fam, which is going to be pork I have cooking in the crock pot and a little cooked cabbage in coconut oil. I know that BAB used to kill my hunger until dinner. Yet, today has just been strange because I didn't really do it. I think I'll go back to ground grass-fed beef instead of the burgers, easier to warm up and eat for BAB, and maybe some bacon or eggs on the side. Anyone cook bacon in advance? I just don't have a lot of time in the morning.

18. diane

diane Gold

Yes, I cook bacon in advance. Will also cook pork sausages (I just check the ingredients that there's no sugar, wheat, etc added) and then heat up in the morning. I will make my own burgers out of ground beef, but if I cook them ahead of time, I leave them on the rare side so they're not hockey pucks when I heat them up. :)

A few people here do some onion, bacon and a can of salmon in the morning - that's pretty good and I find that one easier to get down sometimes. The weeks that I cook a few things ahead and have them waiting in the fridge are much easier for me. Then I also have a choice of what I feel like eating that morning. :)

19. BJK77

BJK77 Gold

We often cook bacon ahead of time too and just re-heat in the morning. I'm off the bacon for the moment, just not feeling it lately for some reason, but back in my bacon hey-day I was making 50/50 burgers for my BAB. Half beef/half crumbled bacon and they were the bomb for breakfast, let me tell ya! They were good hot or cold . . . just total yumness :)

20. diane

diane Gold

Mmmmmm....BJK77 - love the idea!