1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tired after breakfast

Discussion in 'Beginners Area' started by AnnieW, Aug 27, 2013.

1. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

This morning around 6:45 I had my BAB which was two grass-fed beef patties, three eggs fried in coconut oil, several pieces of bacon, and a few spoonfuls of coconut manna. I'm not hungry at all and my body feels good, I just feel really tired. Yesterday I had the same thing happen but it was in the afternoon and I was nearly dozing off at my desk. It almost hits me out of the blue, like I just ate a huge sugar-laden meal. Any ideas?

2. cantweight

cantweight Gold

It took my body a couple weeks to get use to low carb/high fat BABs. I believe it was my body lacking the ability to efficiently convert fat and protein to energy. I was a sugar burner, but denying the sugar gave my body no choice and it eventually caught on. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

3. RGP

RGP New Member

Your breakfast is extremely acidic and so your pH level may be low. Check your pH levels and make sure that your drinking water is slightly alkaline to help buffer the acidic meals. Worked wonders for me.

Could be you have a CBS SNP and your sulfur levels are too high. I have multiple CBS SNP's and I can't do eggs.

Just a couple of thoughts.

4. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

Thank you both so much for your replies. It wouldn't surprise me if it's my body just looking for sugar. I used to eat four breakfast biscuits and a large Coke from Chic-fil-a. I drink spring water so I'm not sure what the pH is.

RGP, what is CBS SNP? What can you do to raise the body's pH?

Thanks again!

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Annie....I used to be really tired after BAB too. I upped the fat and lowered the protein. That really helped a lot.

6. RGP

RGP New Member

AnnieW:
    CBS is the enzyme which catalyses the reaction which converts homocysteine into cystathionine (that's a mouthful). When one has a CBS SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) or gene defect, the SNP can increase the enzyme activity (known as upregulation) of the CBS gene . If the gene is expressing or turned on (just because one has the defect doesn't mean its turned on), excess sulfur may increase CBS enzyme activity. A few causes may be high vitamin B6 supplementation, excess cortisol, excess sulfur in the diet. For more info about this, Google Dr. Amy Yasko's paper called "Methionine and Methylation: Chicken or the Egg".

You can obtain your gene information by doing a saliva test through 23andme.com ($99), then input your data for free at geneticgenie.com or for a small fee, go to mthfrsupport.com and receive a much more detailed report.

I follow the Epipaleo diet and I have active CBS SNP's. Therefore, I have to consume less meat/fish protein than I would like and watch the amount of sulfur obtained from food (meat protein, eggs, onions, garlic, etc).

I found that my spring water's pH level was around 5. So to raise my body's pH level, I raised the pH level of my drinking water to 7.5 - 8.0. I buffer my drinking water with magnesium bicarbonate (just Google to find recipe using seltzer water and milk of magnesia) or by mixing 2 parts sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to 1 part potassium bicarbonate and measuring the pH level. I always measure the final pH because I don't want it too high. FYI: adding tea or coffee to your water will lower the pH, so the water one uses for these drinks will need to have a higher pH.

By only increasing the pH of my drinking water, my urine and saliva pH levels are in the ranges I want.

For more info on pH, check out the forum thread "The Iodine Thread". A poster named Grizz has provided alot of great info.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  7. AnnieW

AnnieW New Member

This is very interesting. I have been in contact with Grizz as he is sharing some iodine info with me.

Thanks!