1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tips to help someone very new to all of this?

Discussion in 'Adrenal Rx and Leaky Gut Rx' started by cantweight, Aug 20, 2013.

1. cantweight

cantweight Gold

My cousin contacted me last night....she has been suffering with hives for close to 2 years now and major leaky gut issues. She endured the loss of a child and another born with hydro-encephalitis. Multiple mis-carriages as well. She has seen stress at her young age that I can not imagine.

She is an amazing person that smiles in spite of it all, has a deeply rooted faith and wonderful zest for life. She has three young children and is the kind of mom I aspire to be.

She contacted me last night and said that her doc said she has an enlarged thyroid and is scheduled for ultrasound and she has developed allergies to peanuts, strawberries, chocolate, milk, and soy.

I immediately tell her to read The iodine Crisis, send her here and some GAPS info, explain a little leaky gut, and talk paleo. She responded that she doesnt really have any GI issues so this is not her case and she couldn't cook like that and get dinner on the table with 3 babies in tow every night. She is on the other end of the spectrum diet wise....home cooked meals but SAD ingredients. SAD for the whole family. Does herbal-life shakes for weight loss that is not happening. My heart breaks for her.

It is interesting to us both.....we are cousins and resemble each other quite a bit, have weight issues, and we have the same blue eyes with a little brown speck in one iris.

My question is....do y'all have any beginner type websites or info that will not overwhelm someone that is starting at the other end of the spectrum? Good explanations? Diet that seem more doable to someone at the very beginning of this kind of journey? I dont want her to think my info is so extreme and "out there" that she doesnt try it.

2. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

cantweight, the multiple miscarriages part threw a red flag up for me. Has she been tested for MTHFR through her doctors? It is a simple lab test. Worth asking for, IMHO.

Also, the 23andme test is only $99 and can give a much larger picture. Also well worth the money.

3. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I couldnt agree more! I tried to make some similar points when she was initially struggling but it is a very different way of thinking with most of my family.

They think I am a joke with all my silly diet and biotoxin illness nonsense. (I used to always say Lyme, but Martin has me thinking biotoxin illness sounds so much cooler..lol)

They all eat SAD. Their doctors know best. My stepmother is a nurse practitioner and she tries not to laugh in my face when I tell her things that we are doing.....that are working!!!

No one will listen to me....that is...until I am no longer fat. It doesnt matter that I can walk, and speak, and read again....they just see fat. Fat=failure to them.

If I mentioned these things I would over shoot and miss getting her on board...I need to ease in with things that make her feel better before doctors get at her with drugs and she gets worse.

I dont want to use the words dumb it down....she is very intelligent....but that is basically what I need to do here.

4. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

cantweight,

It is the positive reinforcement of the continual successes that drives the journey for me. Maybe you just need to get your cousin started with something that seems not very risky but will be successful and then let her drive?

The first blog of Jack's that really resonated with me was CT 7. In that blog, Jack explains what goes on in the body during a 24 hour cycle. It's pretty easy for people to understand that we evolved on a planet that pulses on-off with light/dark cycles. It's not much of a stretch to think that might have an impact on some (okay probably ALL, but start by saying some) biological processes.

From there, I could easily see that it would cost me nothing to try going to bed at 10 and getting up as soon as it was light out. I could implement the BAB using bacon and eggs. So, I tried it and within a few days, I was already feeling better (not perfect, of course, but better than I had been).

Following my own experience, I started reading more and accumulated more and more changes - first paleo (but not really low carb) then CT, then epi-paleo, then high fat, low carb epi-paleo, then grounding, then non-fluoridated water, etc...

5. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I think I got her with the whole 30.

Its a great place to start with a mainstream feel and 30 days seems very doable to her. I am very relieved! She is an amazing woman I could not bear watching her slide down this very slippery slope!

I'll send CT7 once she lets me know she is seeing improvement....maybe then the reasoning as to why will be received easier.

I hope she sees the kind of graduated success you found cinnamon...

6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

And use a table lamp only to watch TV as it makes things cosier ...for her stress of course to wind down,nothing to do with that melatonin thingy like..

I know you said that she is very intelligent but none so blind as those who do not want to see.If you give her a more mainstream explanation as to why she may go for it. The BAB is also antistress as with three kids on the go she nends to have strength right from the word go and not have to worry about eating and preparing for herself..It is a time saver really.;)

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

I loved this ...simple...to the point and gets you started!
    I have always said - this is just some ice, some seafood/protein and turning off the lights and TV ....and getting outside and hugging a tree ....so incredibly doable.....

As a Mom - she wants the best for her kids .....maybe that would resonate with her? Her kids need this as much as/more than she does....

Christi - has she seen the changes in you? as I have said before.... when you walk the walk - you get to talk the talk....

8. cantweight

cantweight Gold

She has Audrey which was why she reached out to me....I told her over the summer that her hives were from her diet. I think it sunk in.

She also noticed a big difference in the behavior of my kids and her kids. Not that hers are bad...just different. I told her it was diet and lifestyle changes.

I have to handle this with kid gloves or I'll come across sounding nuts and be written off. I think it is good practice for my future....how to say things so they will be heard. Not all people respond to....

Eat fish, quit your job, move, turn out the lights, and freeze! lol!!!

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yes, Christi, you are right....but I am amazed at how people have been watching me - I didn't realise that they were paying attention - not saying anything - just observing.

JK has talked about this recently somewhere .....often the value is in the listening. If you have had a consult with Jack ...he listens acutely - and really listens.....I guess you could say that he makes it about you - not about him.
    Have you seen the video that Nicole posted in her journal? That video freaked me out.
    I have reread what you just said above ....but I don't get it really......I see that over and over - people are sick - but they can't seem to get out of their own way to help themself. I would have tried anything and I am pretty sure that you would have too.

Jack has also said somewhere ..."you need to be sick and tired of being sick and tired".....

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just read something that is so to the point......

"I don't have time" is not an excuse. Nourishing your body and mind is not optional. Anyone can make soft boiled eggs and a BPC.

if you do this mostly right, you will set yourself up for a low inflammation, high performance, high energy life style.
    If you don't make time to take care of yourself now - you will have to make time to be sick later.

This is from Dave Asprey's site ......But - Jack has been saying the exact same thing for ever....

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I'd start here at the EMF Rx.........it cuts to the chase but it may be way over her head.