1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Thyroid results

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Destiny, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Destiny

Destiny New Member

My doctor told me that TSH is a bit higher but the rest is OK. Was she correct?

TSH - 4.290 0.270-4.200 uIU/ml

T4 - 9.6 4.5-12.0 ug/dl

FT4 - 1.27 0.83-1.62 ng/dl

Free T4 Index 3.3 1.5 -3.8

T3 Total 86 80-200ng/dl

T3 Uptake 34.1 24.3- 39.0 %

I asked for rT3 but I don't think the doctor knew what it was since she told me that she always runs the total thyroid panel.

2. Not in my humble albeit direct opinion. The FT3 is the available hormone in your body that gets the "work" done. Without it the results above don't tell you much. The FT3 should be near the top of the range. The Total T3 doesn't tell you how much is actually FREE and able to be used by the body. But you are in the very low end of TT3 so I would go back to the doc and get that FT3 tested. The FT4 should be mid to mid-high range. You are right there now. Lastly, there is the virtually useless TSH test. With that said the 4.29 is way to high to be optimal. There is an endocrinologists group that states anything over 3.0 is hypo (can remember what organization but should be searchable online if you need a reference for the doc). Go back to the doc and get FT3 and rT3 tested. They need to be tested at the same time anyway to get an accurate measure of the ratio of FT3 to rT3. I bet you're fatigued, sluggish, maybe have trouble loosing weight, possible hair issues (like the outer corner of your eyebrows are disappearing or hair falling out). I'd say you are showing hypo numbers but you need the other tests! :)

You probably also should get your Vit D, iron panel, and adrenal salivary cortisol tested. These go hand-in-hand with hypothyrodism. My guess is your insurance would pay for all those but maybe not the adrenal test.

3. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, Pat, for the interpretation. I forgot to mention that I have been using Iodoral for the past 5 months. Could that be a part of the problem?

You are right with the issues above. The only one that I don't have is the hair loss. My vitamin D level is 114. My salivary cortisol was high at night. I asked for the iron panel but probably did not get it. My hematology result page is full of abbreviations.

4. Ioderal, from what I know should help those lab results show better functioning. I forgot to mention, if you haven't already had them, get thyroid antibody tests (TgAb, TPO) to check for Hashimotos.

Resource to learn more: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

CTing has really helped my energy level so that may help too. It took a month or so of doing it for me to notice a difference.

5. Destiny

Destiny New Member

I will check the site out. I started with Iodoral last year, when I could not lose any weight on the LC and then on the Leptin RX.

Now, I am starting to feel better while CTing and supplementing my estrogen. I even lost a few pounds.

6. mambo

mambo New Member

If you started supplementing without Selenium it could be a problem, especially at high doses. What was yoru WBC? If it's low normal, I'd present that to your doc and ask for the Rev T3 testing -- autoimmune hypothyroidism goes hand in hand with low WBCs and docs at least understand that part.

7. Destiny

Destiny New Member

mambo, my WBC is 4.29 3.40-11.80 x10(3)/ul - I think I am low normal as you said. I hope you are not overestimating my doc:)!

I was taking Selenium, zinc and magnesium when I started to take 1/2 Iodoral (6mg) a day. I never took more than that. Should I stop it completely?

8. mambo

mambo New Member

4.3 is exactly what you'd expect for Hashi. And if you have Hashi, get ANA tested: tell your doc, "Look my WBC is low, as is typical for autoimmune sufferers of hypothyroidism (i.e., Hashimoto's). Please test my TG and TPO, and Reverse T3 for confirmation. While at it, since Hashi also overlaps with autoimmne conditions, please test my Antinuclear Antibodies (ANA) to see if I'm positive." If doc says no, I would just go straight to an endocrinologist (for Hashi tests) and rheumatologist (for ANA).

9. Sem

Sem New Member

What would you consider a high ANA? And what does it mean? A while back mine came back at 320. Doctor said it was ok because nothing else came back positive. I wonder though ... I just found another doctor I want to try and will get retested. Thanks.

10. mambo

mambo New Member

I hope u were taking about 200 mcg Se but didn't start immediately at 6mg for I. You have build youself up, not increasing too fast, otherwise you could exacerbate your thyroid. Same with when weaning. Also, go easy on Zn as you can overdose on it, too: no more than 30-50mg daily. Mg is ok and I think Dr. K recommends up to 1200mg; when you have the runs, you'll know with Mg.

11. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Yes, for selenium but I did start with I at 6mg. I have to say that it was not easy, it felt like a detox. What would be a good maintenance level of iodine?Thanks for the Zn suggestions, I did not know that.

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Thanks, for all the suggestions. I actually can go straight to an endocrinologist since I don't need a referral. My night cortisol spikes high, the rest during the day is decent. Does it tie into this somehow as well?