1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Thyroid confusion

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Lyndra, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I've been on low-dose Armour thyroid for several months and have been feeling progressively better (more energy, better mood). When I saw my doctor in mid-November, she thought I was going hyper (was feeling warm a lot and was losing weight without trying) so she had me cut my dose in half (down to 1/4 grain). At that time, my labs were:

TSH 1.67: range 0.45-4.50
    Free T3: 2.6, range 2.0-4.4
    Free T4: 1.0, range 0.82-1.7
    RT3: 17, range 9.2-24.1
    FT3/RT3 (calculated at STTM): 15.3 (goal is >20)

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I might be getting hyper because I my pulse was too high, especially at night, and I was too hot and sleeping poorly (though sleep is a constant problem anyway). I stopped taking my 1/4 gr Armour on a January 1 and then ran thyroid tests on January 4. Results were:

TSH 2.67: range 0.45-4.50
    Free T3: 2.1, range 2.0-4.4
    Free T4: 1.21, range 0.82-1.7
    RT3: 9.2, range 9.2-24.1
    FT3/RT3 (calculated at STTM): 22.8

So, the good news is my FT3/RT3 ratio is much improved but FT3 is still very low and TSH is fairly high.

As an experiment, after being off Armour for 10 days, I started up again 3 days ago. Ugh. Too hot during the day, waking up hot at night, and high pulse again, so I quit again.

Does it make sense that I would be hyper with low FT3 and high TSH?

I've measured thyroid antibodies 3 times since and they have been stable each time: TPO 9 (0-34) and Antithyroglob <20 (0-40) so I'm thinking it's not Hashimoto's.

I plan to check in with my doctor but am wondering if you all have any ideas?

2. vkiernan

vkiernan Silver

I am wondering if you have a low cortisol problem. Hence the reaction to more thyroid med and poor sleep - too much for your system too handle.. Looks like your ft4 is turning into rt3, not ft3 like it is supposed to. Might be a good time to try t3 only since you won't convert that to rt3 once you clear your t4. Got to figure out why you are making rt3 in the first place. Maybe read the All Things T3 thread. Lot's of good info in there.

3. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Thanks for the response - I know you've been through a lot with thyroid and have done your homework. I have been battling adrenal fatigue for a while now. My cortisol was at the bottom of the range throughout the day when I first tested early this year but was better when I tested a few months ago, though still too low in the AM and too high at night. I tried T3-only early on but it gave me migraines; I'll talk to my doctor about trying another formulation to see if that is better.

4. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Stop the Thyroid Madness people also suggest looking at ferritin and iron levels if things are not working with increased thyroid.

5. bigknitwit

bigknitwit Silver

I am dealing with high pulse too (especially in the morning after breakfast, and sometimes at night just as I'm starting to fall asleep), despite being on a lower than optimal thyroid dose. I think it has to do with cortisol, somehow. I used to think it was low cortisol, however, during episodes of elevated heartrate, I've also noticed that I have far less blood sugar control than otherwise. This leads me to think that in fact my cortisol is elevated (which would inhibit insulin from doing it's thing). Just to compound things even further, on really bad days, I've taken 10mg of hydrocortisone, and it usually helps stabilize my heartrate... So I'm not really sure which way to call it. On days when I sleep poorly, I struggle much more with higher heart rates (I think cortisol would be higher on those days..?).

I will also mention that from my own experimentation, I do not tolerate Armour thyroid, no matter what the labs say. I am doing much better on a combination of T4 and T3 (cytomel). I think it probably has to do with the fact that I can't eat pork without a reaction...

One more thing to mention: I few times I saw d-ribose mentioned on these forums, so I decided to do a little research/reading about it, which lead me to the book, "Fatigued to Fantastic." I've been reading the book, which mainly tries to address issues people with CFS deal with. His perspective on the issues resonates a great deal with the things Dr. K talks about (like the hypothalamus being suppressed, and energy crisis within the cell). So I started taking d-ribose at the dose recommended in the book, and also started acetyl-l-carnitine at the LEF dose recommendation (2000-3000mg/day). I think they are making a real difference for me in dealing with all of this. I have tried countless different supplements over the years, and very rarely can I say that I think I can "feel" a difference taking one. The heart rate issues are diminished (not gone), sleep is a little better (I still struggle, especially if I'm woken up during the night), and my head feels much more, well, normal, as opposed to feeling like I desperately need so kind of stimulation.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, and I apologize if this is coming across as "all about me." I thought sharing about my experiences may help you figure out yours a little...

6. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

BKW - thanks so much for your thoughts. I am also wondering about my cortisol levels and hearing your experiences is very helpful. I thought my adrenal fatigue was doing much better so I started exercising more a couple of weeks ago. It went well for a few days and then big crash - lots of fatigue and poor recovery so I backed off. You and V may both be right about the cortisol situation. Based on 23andme results, i have methylation issues (waiting on a consult with Tim Jackson to learn more) and have a few mito Rx supps on order. I'm thinking this is a complicated situation and there is no one simple answer to improvement. What a way to work on becoming more patient...

7. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

Bigknitwit...I was wondering how you were the other day...good to hear from you and great news that the supps are making a difference.