1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Things I saw in the news today

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by Lahelada, Jul 2, 2014.

1. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

2. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Redox controls crystal growth.......of this I am sure and environmental EMF is the key redox driver of the process. The same is true in us. Hence why we have mis folded proteins in out atomic lattice when the redox is altered.

Richelle Jones likes this.
  4. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

6. cinnamon

cinnamon Gold

New study shows that stink bugs can choose the color of their eggs.

It seems there was a newspaper with a crossword puzzle on the floor of the stink bug cage and this curious PhD student noticed the eggs were different colors on the black squares than the white ones...

Oh and also, the pigment looks like it does not come from melanin, but from a new chemical compound.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...their-eggs-montreal-scientist-finds-1.3176217

7. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Not news, but this seems as good a place as any to put link to a short article:

Greek Thought in English Words:

http://www.owenbarfield.org/greek-thought-in-english-words/

Outstanding short article. And, I'd have thought, of great interest not just to those interested in philology or language but to any thoughtful general reader. At least, this general reader liked it!

This isn't merely about Greek words but about how Greek thought may be traced in them. So it's not merely philological but gives some insight into the history of consciousness. A sample:

8. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

This is the modern world, isn't it?

A 49,000 animal pig farm:

https://twitter.com/farmsnotfactory/status/627892375050825729

And imagine the smell if you lived near it, not to mention the possibility of its incubating antibiotic-resistant bacteria, gone virulent because of the overcrowding and practices.

This one is planned for Limavady, Ireland, but it could have been in almost anywhere as things are going right now. I've no problem eating pigs, but to treat them, when living, as if they were merely a commodity ...

9. RobH

RobH Gold

Gagnrad likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

comfort = Life has a tension between comfort and discomfort. Discomfort affords us perspective to ask better questions of our current assumptions. In my opinion, discomfort emerges from our mind when our choices are suppressing our true identity.

11. av8r

av8r New Member

nonchalant likes this.
  12. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

13. Gagnrad likes this.
  14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Richelle Jones likes this.
  15. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

I for one would agree, Pat. And I think that would have to be true whether any particular example he gives turns out to be valid or not.

When it comes down to it in the modern world there are fantastically wealthy business interests spending a lot of money to construct various "secondary realities" that they try to persuade us to live in. There are examples all around us, and it's certainly not limited to pharmaceutical companies.

Trying to get most elderly people, and anyone else who can persuaded to think of themselves as "at risk", to have a flu jab is a regularly recurring pantomime over here - the NHS, doctors' surgeries, and a host of other organisations all dancing like marionettes to a tune piped to them by pharmaceutical companies who hope that the display will hypnotise enough of those who see it. But according to CDC statistics, in the US:

And almost no one bats an eyelid at such things, because they simply believe what they're told. In fact, if someone's actually in the medical profession and comes across any kind of questioning, he may even get angry - one assumes because doubt (which must be immediately sat on) is aroused in his own mind, he momentarily wonders if what he's been doing is useless or actually harmful, and consequently he experiences feelings of guilt.

I'll offer you another sample of the kind of thing Rapport raises here. Apparently, after WWI British physicians helping in defeated Austria were advising cod liver oil for rickets. Austrian doctors were astounded: apparently, they had been absolutely sure that rickets was caused by an infection not a deficiency. One can honestly be wrong about these things … then think about the scope for dishonesty.

I think the kind of manipulation of public perceptions that Rappoport is talking about here is very widespread. Here's what looks very much like another example in another field:

http://environews.tv/world-news/mon...are-safe-says-norway-in-new-government-study/

I think these problems run very deep. This is part of the reason why I expressed scepticism about paleo elsewhere on the boards recently. Someone like Robb Wolf is aware of these kinds of problems, but Robb will often talk as if "the market" can solve all this. He really seems to think, at any rate in his less cautious moments, as if all this can be solved at a systems level. Eliot:

16. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

℞isk on antidepressants and violence:

http://wp.rxisk.org/the-man-who-thought-he-was-a-monster/

17. Bill1

Bill1 New Member

18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

19. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

20. Gagnrad

Gagnrad New Member

Scotland bans GM crops to protect the nation's 'clean, green' brand

Smart move. Scotland's known for really high quality produce: so make it crystal clear to everyone that you mean to be serious about that:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...to_protect_the_nation_s__clean__green__brand/