1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

the Vagus nerve...

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by caroline, Jul 12, 2015.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

I just ran across this old post of JK's and it is so helpful ....I thought you'all would like to reread it too!

huge nuggets here....

the first thoughts are from Yew.....

1. The Leptin Reset calls for a large morning meal, which usually means that the only way of doing an extended (at least 16 hour) no-food fasting window, it would mean skipping dinner, which is not ideal from the standpoint of getting that 4-6pm protein synthesis window.

Exercise induced autophagy is also out for someone on the Leptin Reset (though I should remind readers that cold thermogenesis is your ticket).

I was thinking about another scheme, whereby the person would say eat a fat-only breakfast at 7am (typical sunrise), and then dinner at 5-6pm, which leaves a 13-14 hour no-food window, but with as little insulinogenic food eaten during the daylight hours until dinner.

The thought is that:
      • Using fat only at breakfast may not be as effective as when you combine protein, but should cause enough mechanical distention of the gut upon waking to yoke the brain's circadian timing to the actual time of the day
      • So long as you keep insulin low through the day, you are still getting the benefits of autophagy through the daylight hours
      • So long as you keep protein load controlled below excess during dinner, insulin will again be low
      • enough upon sleep onset for the normal autophagic repair mechanisms to kick in
      3 questions follow:
      1. Is fat alone sufficient to stimulate the vagal nerve and perform the effects of the Leptin reset?
      2. Will eating a fat-only meal diminish autophagy (either micro, macro, or chaparone mediated), and what type of fat is preferably consumed?
      3. I only ask this question because I'm not familiar with the mechanics of autophagy. Are you planning to write a blog about this specific topic? If not, what's the quickest way for me to pick up on all the concepts?

Footnotes:

Peter from Hyperlipid talked a while ago about how low carb diets mimic fasting in many ways -- http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com.au/2008/08/age-rage-and-ale-fasting.html. The question I had was if "mimicking fasting" means upregulated autophagy.

CPC#9 mentioned micro-autophagy, but didn't get into details of autophagy as a whole -- http://jackkruse.com/hashimotos-and-melasma/
      http://tanyewwei.com
      yewwei.tan, Jun 30, 2014EditDeleteIPWarnReport
      #1LikeReply
      Arborescence likes this.
    2. [​IMG]
      Jack KruseAdministrator
      1.The vagus nerve connects the digital and analogue systems together in the brain. It also is the protector of the blood brain barrier, the gut barrier and the pneumo-environmental barrier in humans. The vagus nerve connects the entire gut down to the transverse meso-colon of the hind gut to the fourth ventricle of the brainstem. This ventricle is filled with CSF and the vagus nerve is covered with myelin in connection with this CSF. This is how the “central digital” circadian system of the SCN and the “analogue circadian system” of the gut are linked to light and the timing of food growth in the environment, so that the signals can be yoked via the area postrema and the median eminence in the brain. These are two areas in the brain do not have a blood brain barrier so the electron density in the CSF is accurately tied to the local environment. The area postrema and median eminence are called the circumventricular organs. Both of them are bathed in CSF that surrounds the brain. The digital circadian signals project visible light photons from the retina to the median eminence to affect hormone release in the pituitary. The analogue system from the gut’s photoelectric code for food projects directly to the area postrema. This unifies how the analogue and digital circadian signals in the brain work in unison to tell an organism what their energy balance is at anytime of the year by counting electron density in the CSF. With in CSF layers there also is a stratification of water by density as well. This is another example of fractal design of how water stratification occurs in the oceans to create oxygen. This is also how the central clock and peripheral clocks yoke the photoelectric effect from the different sources in our environment. It should be intuitive now why environmental mismatches in the brain are perceived as a mixed message by our leptin receptor in the hypothalamus now. You leptin receptor job is to count the electron density in CSF that surrounds it to send this information to different areas of the body. When we have any mismatch in the photoelectric signaling in the hypothalamus, the result in a cell with the leptin receptor is molecular crowding. Molecular crowding is a synonym for inflammation. Inflammation is a synonym for leptin resistance. Fat provides more electrons than protein, but protein is more thermogenic and it is also energy efficient because it lowers the cost of protein ubiquination when autophagy is broken or inefficient.
      2. Refer to the BG 6.........seasonal fats.
      3. yes.........and there is a nice overview in the Quilt. It has its own levee and I think you are beginning to see how important it is.
      Jack Kruse, Jun 30, 2014EditDeleteIPReport
      #2LikeReply
      Arborescence, Albert83BCN, Josh (Paleo Osteo) and 2 others like this.
    3. [​IMG]
      carolineModerator
      Dr. K. ...... I don't understand something - you have mentioned often that the vagus nerve is cut in obesity surgery.

Surely this is an extreme procedure with many ramifications given it's importance ... surely other Docs understand all the above?

I love the above explanation - helps me understand better... thanx
      caroline, Jun 30, 2014EditDeleteIPReport
      #3Rep

*** This thread is in the Leptin reset ....

2. Grmoline

Grmoline Gold

Thanks for the re-read. This is helpful!

3. caroline

caroline Moderator

I thought so too!

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

How it all links up to the upcoming ubi blog will really blow your mind.

rlee314 likes this.
  5. Amber

Amber New Member

Can a Type I diabetic with severe gastroparesis (constantly looks 5-6 mo pregnant) regain vagus nerve function? It's not cut like in obesity surgery but can it be damaged beyond repair?
    I'm trying to encourage her to implement Jack's teachings....I told her to focus on correcting sleep (sleeps during the day cause can't sleep at night) and look into the Leptin reset but maybe the damage is already done. She was also just recently diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. She doesn't seem to understand the importance of BG control either.
    I know her gut flora is destroyed from CHRONIC antibiotic exposure.

6. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

seanb4 and caroline like this.