1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The un-official Telomere before and after thread

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by hellojtm, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I believe the point of the telomere test is two fold. One, to be used as a base line for comparison over time and two, to inform you if your telomeres are really short then you have some investigation/work to do.

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I am not a fan of TA 65. I like turmeric/curcumin, resveratrol and 100% chocolate a lot better.

3. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

I seem to remember this conversation on my FB page! hehehehe

4. I'm still trying to understand my results of 10.23 telomere length. It looks like I'm around 7 yrs old (really 53) and maybe younger as the graph kinda stops at around 7 but my marker is a little higher. I am in the 98% "Percentile relative to patient age and population". Does anyone know how to figure this out beyond the graph?

Here is the info that came with the test results that appear to answer some of the other questions on this thread.

[​IMG]

Attached files [​IMG]

5. neaderthal

neaderthal New Member

Regarding what Spectracell has listed under the 'Reporting' paragraph, I have 2 questions:

1. From what source do they derive the 'population of people' with similar chronological age and how many 'people' are in this population to which your results are being compared?

2. How many genes are used for the comparison? I'm not sure how to interpret their methods of analysis without knowing more details.

Having done no research on this myself, but having some academic knowledge regarding biochemical techniques used in genetic research, I would assume each laboratory uses proprietary methods and 'populations' for comparison; therefore, I would assume your results can differ depending on the company. It may be helpful if anyone has any knowledge and can share it with us. If my assumptions are correct, perhaps as pointed out in an earlier comment, the best use of this testing would be with initial testing as a baseline & testing again later for comparison, but then that would need to be with the same company and compared against the same 'population' as in the original test. Thoughts?

6. JC2K

JC2K New Member

I don't believe there's any other companies really doing the testing, and I think you'd need to keep going to Spectracell, because they test a certain way (off white blood cells). If another company pops up, they may do something else, and not get a comparitive value.

7. I think there is value there I just don't know how to convert the number I was given into an age. I'm probably being completely a dunce and it is the number off the graph but since I have Hashimotos, Reynauds, and a hsCRP of 2.8 I'm having some difficulty understanding how my telomeres could show my age as 7ish. I have eaten organic, although not paleo most of my life, never been more than 25# overweight and that was in the beginning of undiagnosed Hashis so maybe it does make sense.

Neaderthal - thanks for your thoughts. I don't know the answer to either of your questions. I was planning on using this as a baseline for future testing to compare treatments, etc. I can still use it but I want a number that's an age. Crazy, I know.

8. I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter!!

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

there is ......Dr. blackburn has her own outfit in Barcelona now doing testing.

10. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

We were discussing this today at the factor x meet up. If I understand right, different organs can have different biological ages? So how accurate is it to get the biological age of something that is in your blood? Couldn't your heart tissue be a lot older in biological age compared to what you find in the blood, your lungs, or your liver?

I thought I understood that whatever gets old first will then start to develop disease and eventually lead to death. Not sure anymore, though.

11. Interesting thought process about older organs creating the disease or aging process. I would think these would affect the blood somehow and that is why it shows up there.

12. Yikes that's OLD!!!!

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Finally had a chance to send them an email...we'll see what happens... if they won't sell it to me... I'll see if I can pay for it...and have them either send it to my PCP or my Chiropractor....

14. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Just email spectra cell and they will refer you to your local person. Don't take no for an answer if they tell you you have to see a particular local doc - you don't. The territory manager can just send you the requisition papers by mail and you take that to the lab.

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

great... I'll beat them into submission... no email response yet... Whoops... Just came in and they're sending me to the regional rep...

16. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I wonder how accurate the Spectracell telomere test actually is. It has been mentioned by some that a random WBC telomere length may have little correlation with the telomere lengths of more important cells such as stem cells. Some of the testimonials here I have seen seem to support that idea as the results seem very out of the blue for many, in either direction. I'm not sure that this assay is a true reflection of the underlying basic science.

I got mine and kinda wish I hadn't now. They were horrible. I'm 45, feel much younger and healthier than that, harcore epi-paleo/CT, EMF reduction, rockstar sleep, etc. And the test says I have like 80 year old telomeres. My labs, hormones, HS-CRP, body comp, and other indices are all really good and have been for at least 3-4 years, and still getting better. (Before that, yes, I was fat and did have metabolic syndrome picture.)

Feel like I paid a bunch to get kicked in gut. Considering repeating to see if it was error, but not anxious to waste more money if this test is not ready for prime time. And if it is accurate, it seems all my aggressive lifestyle changes and interventions over several years have not helped in lengthening these WBC telomeres at all. I kinda wish I had stuck to monitoring hormones and inflammatory markers and working the prescriptions.

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well NeilkBB...........you could continue to explain the data away based upon the test........but I think you got what you paid for.........you now know you were missing something big.........and to me that is worth the test. Now go after it and fix it. WBC telomere to me are accurate because their activation requires an intact neuroimmune response from the brain's microglia. EMF causes a stress response across the brainstem.........so I think you got a preview of your own field in this test.

18. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

I hear you, Jack. I don't want to be in denial. But does this test by itself override optimal melatonin, cortisol, testosterone, HS-CRP, vit D, HDL, etc, etc that all seem to indicate a correct strategy? Also, why does a 50 y/o struggling with Hashimoto's and HS-CRP of 2.5 have telomeres of 7 year old (previously on this board)? That hard to accept. That what makes me question this test, not my result.

Can EMF affect telomeres without altering all these hormones? How long should it take telomeres to lengthen assuming you are living close to optimally? Do you think telomeres are more important than all the other inflammatory/hormonal indicators?

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

no one test overides anything.......it is part of a trend.........this is why buiilding a library of knowledge of your labs gives you an insight about how your genes are being expressed. EMF directly affects chromosomes so you know telomeres are affected. Becker's work is close to 40 yrs old now that showed this...........and it has been re looked at experimentally by Wertheimer and Savitz and both found his work to be spot on.

20. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

OK, thanks Jack. Have you seen significant lengthening of telomeres in response to interventions? And if so, how long does it take and how much response?