1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The un-official Telomere before and after thread

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by hellojtm, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Vicster

Vicster New Member

I'm wondering the same thing Owl. My test showed that I was right at the age I am now, was hoping for younger but CT will change that. Curious to know what that sample is, a mix of healthy and sick, US or overseas, diet, lifestyle etc???

2. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Okay, sent an inquiry to Spectracell a couple of days ago as I still hadn't gotten my results (6 weeks + now) and they overnighted my results.

LOL !!!

I have a score of 9. Yes, looking at the graph I could qualify as 10-15 years of age. I really just turned 35 a few days ago.

So, I'll recommend you...

- starve yourself for 20 years with some binging and purging thrown in

- have a complete diet of caffeine and artificial sweeteners, complemented by a few jelly beans if you blood sugar threatens to kill you

- run like a hamster in the wheel on the treadmill all day long

- never really sleep

um, either that or the past few years of realizing sanity can be found by living in tune with nature were right on target.

I'll go with the latter option. I think :confused:

3. Guest

Guest Guest

hehehehe!! Too funny. I am sure it was the jelly beans--yepper. Maybe great genes.

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

One of my docs recently suggested I must have really great genes b/c he's never seen one beat the odds in her favor that many times. Um :rolleyes:

I do have to say that my mother is a phenomenon. She's 63 now and she is an Energizer Bunny without an off button. She dresses like she's 30, always in fashion, has an iphone just b/c it's cool, and is busier than ever since retirement. She hits her fitness studio practically every day and is in great shape. Her bone density is top of range. I would bet money that her telomeres are just that, 30 years of age.

I looked at spectracell's website and they define the graph as "average American population". Truth is, I don't want to have anything to do with American average :eek: Somebody needs to go and measure telomere lengths of some indigenous people who have not been touched by civilization. I bet we'd see some different results.

5. I just got my results this weekend. My score was 10.23 which makes me, what......about 7. I'm 53 and my 46 yr old BF was 11.78. He says he hasn't been born yet or rather that he is immortal. He seems to be quite healthy so these tests are making him a bit cocky I think!!! I need to do more research because I don't feel like I'm 7 and my hsCRP is 2.81. How can my score be so good?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds rather fishy to me. Not sure if it is worth it for me.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think Spectracell's average is off.

Obviously, we're all concerned about our health and have probably eliminated the worst offenders years ago. Now look at the general American population... they live off the worst junk, even the one's who "think" they're healthy (fat-free whatever artificial cr*p). There is actually very few people who are clued into a whole foods diet, no matter the macro-nutrient content.

Thank you for posting your scores. They show that I have work to do. My own score makes much more sense now.

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I sent an inquiry to Spectracell asking if they have any comment on our results... with link to thread :)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Did anyone go through a doctor to get these tests paid for by their insurance or did you pay out of pocket?

10. Great! Thanks Soudanzer! Keep me posted when they respond.

We paid out of pocket for ours.

11. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Depends on the test... telomere is out of pocket.

12. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

I'd think the same, although I just saw yet another article (USA Today) using it as a measure of the damage of XYZ activity (this one showed how violence in childhood shortened telomeres). Hard to figure out.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Maybe telomeres aren't supposed to shorten at all. Maybe a sick person has short telomeres and a healthy person has long ones... but the age doesn't matter so much actually?

14. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

That brings up a good question I've wondered about.

In a healthy person, do they shorten as you approach (a rapid, fairly painless) death at the end of a long (& healthy & independent till close to the end) life? Do they shorten rapidly then? Or do they stay long forever, and one day you just die?

Can we know, since there aren't exactly a lot of people eating traditional, unprocessed diets out there to test? Or have they tested the 122yo's of the world, or even the healthy-till-94-then-drop-dead-while-mowing-the-lawn old ladies?

15. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Yep... people who haven't been touched by the "bads" of civilization stay strong and healthy into their old age til they die in their sleep one night.

16. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Exactly - does telomere shortening = bad health? Or does it equal aging?

My grandfather on one side and great-grandmother on the other side both died at 94. They both lived independently and worked physical jobs until (respectively) a few months and a few years before death. (All their descendants, btw, all raised on the SAD, all have chronic diseases, so far as I know, no matter whether 70 or 3.)

So did their telomeres stay long and strong till just a few months/years before death? (They didn't suddenly die in their sleep; they did decline in the last months/years, but I suspect that had a LOT to do with being drugged for conditions against their will.) Or did they stay strong even till the last breath? Or did they stay strong till maybe their 70s and then start a long, gradual shortening? What's most likely?

17. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Very glad we have this thread and _really_ appreciate those that are sharing their results. Never would have guessed these outcomes. I suspect telomeres should be long when healthy but I also wonder what the impact of stem cells is, for example if we are using a lot of stem cells could it be boosting our telomere length?

18. Guest

Guest Guest

So stress would shorten telemores for sure. I bet I am 80. Ugh!!! Looking to get turned around.

19. I've debated this one - seems "fun" but it doesn't really give one direction on what to do different than what we ARE doing right? I mean if we are the ice-ice-babies on this site and already doing the whole shebang, what more would we do with the telomere info?

I did order the 23 and me test! It came yesterday - hoping to get it filled out today. I don't know what I think I'm going to do after that, but perhaps it will be a mood-boosting pleasant surprise and I will find out my genes aint so bad?!

20. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

@ Cavemam: I'm suspecting that's exactly why most of us are getting these unusual above average result... b/c we're already doing all these things that are supposed to help lengthen them.

I haven't hear back from spectracell yet but I do think I will re-test in a couple of years or so depending on how things are going. I hope more people will post their results for comparison.

@ Suhenna... that's what I thought and then it came back @ 10 years or so (the graph is a little hard to read). If you've been making changes for a while you should be alright I think... but then we're figuring out that "alright" might not be so...